Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 25, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #1,246 of 4,904
Great post romaz. One thing I'd still be very interested to know when you eventually get your Blu2:
Will all those super clocks and SOtM boxes etc still make a difference when a Blu2 is added? And how does the resulting sound via USB compare to the same redbook file played on a CD?

The comments one or two others have made along these lines have been mixed so far, and inconclusive to me.

I have the very same question. Even though I have only heard BLU2/DAVE on 2 occasions (CES and Munich), I feel I know already what to expect when it arrives. Replacing all the bad clocks in my upstream digital components, I believe, will provide qualities that are both similar to BLU2 but also different and so I am hoping to find that these qualities will be both additive and complementary.

Aug 25, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #1,247 of 4,904
I have the very same question. Even though I have only heard BLU2/DAVE on 2 occasions (CES and Munich), I feel I know already what to expect when it arrives. Replacing all the bad clocks in my upstream digital components, I believe, will provide qualities that are both similar to BLU2 but also different and so I am hoping to find that these qualities will be both additive and complementary.

"Even though I have only heard BLU2/DAVE on 2 occasions (CES and Munich), I feel I know already what to expect when it arrives."

Self admitted expectation bias in full flow there!

You will not be disappointed (but then you know that). I will be very interested to see whether your distractions prompted by the wait for Blu2 are still valid when you get Blu2 in the system.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #1,248 of 4,904
I think some of Rob's comments have been taken by some to imply that BluDave is a magic bullet and nothing else matters. Truth is that everything else still matters and the more pure you can get the signal going into BluDave, the better it sounds. Different USB cables do sound subtly different, dual BNC cables can sound very different.

For me, my network was preventing my files from sounding as good as the Blu CD replay. Now I cut out the network and play files direct into Blu USB input through a Zenith SE Roon core server and that difference has been removed. Good hires files sound better than CD now. I will be interested to see how the 'multiple black box' approach pans out with BluDave as I don't believe that that should be necessary by comparison to direct replay into BluDave from a good quality server. Having said that, the introduction of the SE to my main system and using it as the household Roon core has improved streaming sound quality to other rooms in my house, which I wasn't expecting.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #1,249 of 4,904
A great post post romaz.

Many thanks for the time in setting all that out in a thoughtful and well set out way.

You have raised some interesting points which I will take time to read and inwardly digest.

But it got me thinking, especially about the cables because I am currently developing a range of cables with a colleague.

So far we have concentrated on NQC (Not Quite Cryo) treatment - we put them in the fridge for half an hour.

But then I had a brainwave about combining the two technologies of NQC (Not Quite Cryo) and magnetic focusing of the electrons using MFRD technology (Magnetic Fridge Reinforcement Devices).

The prototype may look like fridge magnets but they combine the two technologies of NQC (Not Quite Cryo) and MFRD (Magnetic Fridge Reinforcement Devices) in a synergistic way due to their shared reliance on the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

The fridge magnets are normally separated from the NQC (Not Quite Cryo) treatment inside the fridge but what would happen if they were placed on cables that had previously been exposed to the NQC (Not Quite Cryo) treatment?

It is of course critical to align the Magnetic Fridge Reinforcement Devices in an optimal direction and we have done this with our prototype cables.

This is a pre-production set of cables but initial evaluation and public reaction is very promising.

Are we heading in the right direction? :wink:

(Don't worry, I will be back to discussing Blu2 and Dave soon).

I am aware that my post on cables is a possible distraction in the Blu Mk2 thread. One possibility was to start a new thread in 'Cables' but that is a DBT and ABX free zone and I am not sure if all are ready to embrace some of the new technology that I am discussing. If anyone feels like looking at the ultimate appliance of science to cables then have a peep at my posts at :-
https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/126126-a-new-cable-range-launch-by-wammers/
This will keep tangential humour out of the Blu Mk2 thread on Head-Fi but hey.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #1,250 of 4,904
But it got me thinking, especially about the cables because I am currently developing a range of cables with a colleague.

So far we have concentrated on NQC (Not Quite Cryo) treatment - we put them in the fridge for half an hour.

But then I had a brainwave about combining the two technologies of NQC (Not Quite Cryo) and magnetic focusing of the electrons using MFRD technology (Magnetic Fridge Reinforcement Devices).

The prototype may look like fridge magnets but they combine the two technologies of NQC (Not Quite Cryo) and MFRD (Magnetic Fridge Reinforcement Devices) in a synergistic way due to their shared reliance on the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

The fridge magnets are normally separated from the NQC (Not Quite Cryo) treatment inside the fridge but what would happen if they were placed on cables that had previously been exposed to the NQC (Not Quite Cryo) treatment?

It is of course critical to align the Magnetic Fridge Reinforcement Devices in an optimal direction and we have done this with our prototype cables.

This is a pre-production set of cables but initial evaluation and public reaction is very promising.

Very disappointing post. I thought you were better than that.

First of all, I tried this NQC treatment of yours. Even after a whole hour in the fridge, my cables sound no different. Maybe a little more frosty sounding but not in a good way. Did I somehow miss a step?

As for MFRD, I'm pretty sure you just made up this term. I just Googled it and all I got were links to adult pay sites. Now, I will be forced to explain various credit card charges to my wife.

If your post had one redeeming value, it inspired me to design my own cables. I have decided to create my own BNC SPDIF cable just in time for the arrival of my BLU2.

I thought long and hard about what makes good sound and then it came to me. Tubes. Tubes make everything sound good. Here is what I have come up with:

20170824_211611.jpg

Notice the input and output tube stages. Double the goodness.

In case you're wondering, these tubes have been implanted onto these cables with surgical precision using oxygen-free, rhodium-plated electrical tape.

For tube experts who want to know more, this is an OTL, single-ended, push-pull design that uses a differential interstage ballast with Japanese oil paper caps and no feedback except.

How does it sound?

Quite simply, this cable is amazing. It not only completely rewrote the SPDIF spec at the speed of sound -- including the costly and time-consuming steps of protocol specification, definition, development, and testing -- but followed through on the promise to deliver something that the SPDIF spec doesn't even consider.

I was amazed by the fidelity of the digital signal that coursed through this cable. My collection of 96kbps MP3 files have been instantly transformed to beyond Redbook, to beyond DXD and all the way to MPEG. MPEG? That's right, as I write this while listening to music through this cable, not only can I hear Barry Manilow singing Mandy to me, I also see him sitting on my lap as he sings. While not necessarily an appealing visual, I cannot deny the exciting virtual reality aspects of this cable. Such is the power of the triode.

But there's more. Somehow, this cable has granted me the power of clairvoyance and allowed me to communicate psychically with both Milli and Vanilli. By the way, having seen into the near-distant future, if Joao Silva from Lisbon, Portugal is reading this right now, I would strongly recommend against purchasing the maroon Fiat -- it doesn't end well for you. Go with the Mini Cooper instead...

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,251 of 4,904
Very disappointing post. I thought you were better than that.

First of all, I tried this NQC treatment of yours. Even after a whole hour in the fridge, my cables sound no different. Maybe a little more frosty sounding but not in a good way. Did I somehow miss a step?

As for MFRD, I'm pretty sure you just made up this term. I just Googled it and all I got were links to adult pay sites. Now, I will be forced to explain various credit card charges to my wife.

If your post had one redeeming value, it inspired me to design my own cables. I have decided to create my own BNC SPDIF cable just in time for the arrival of my BLU2.

I thought long and hard about what makes good sound and then it came to me. Tubes. Tubes make everything sound good. Here is what I have come up with:

Notice the input and output tube stages. Double the goodness.

In case you're wondering, these tubes have been implanted onto these cables with surgical precision using oxygen-free, rhodium-plated electrical tape.

For tube experts who want to know more, this is an OTL, single-ended, push-pull design that uses a differential interstage ballast with Japanese oil paper caps and no feedback except.

How does it sound?

Quite simply, this cable is amazing. It not only completely rewrote the SPDIF spec at the speed of sound -- including the costly and time-consuming steps of protocol specification, definition, development, and testing -- but followed through on the promise to deliver something that the SPDIF spec doesn't even consider.

I was amazed by the fidelity of the digital signal that coursed through this cable. My collection of 96kbps MP3 files have been instantly transformed to beyond Redbook, to beyond DXD and all the way to MPEG. MPEG? That's right, as I write this while listening to music through this cable, not only can I hear Barry Manilow singing Mandy to me, I also see him sitting on my lap as he sings. While not necessarily an appealing visual, I cannot deny the exciting virtual reality aspects of this cable. Such is the power of the triode.

But there's more. Somehow, this cable has granted me the power of clairvoyance and allowed me to communicate psychically with both Milli and Vanilli. By the way, having seen into the near-distant future, if Joao Silva from Lisbon, Portugal is reading this right now, I would strongly recommend against purchasing the maroon Fiat -- it doesn't end well for you. Go with the Mini Cooper instead...

It would seem that we have a mole in our R&D who is passing on some of our best work.

We absolutely agree with your conclusions regarding tubes but luckily we have already moved on from that stage of development and have now incorporated it in our homeopathic range of cables. Here all the advantages of your tube cables are retained but we merely have to wrap the cable around a tube, hold it there for 10 seconds and then remove the tube. Miraculously this has EXACTLY the same effect and cable performance as your clumbersome tube cable.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,252 of 4,904
That image of Barry Manilow was completely unnecessary, Jeez. :weary:

'while listening to music through this cable, not only can I hear Barry Manilow singing Mandy to me, I also see him sitting on my lap as he sings'.

Classic. I've copied it here because I'd hate anyone to miss the mental image.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,253 of 4,904
A great post post romaz.

Many thanks for the time in setting all that out in a thoughtful and well set out way.

You have raised some interesting points which I will take time to read and inwardly digest.

(Don't worry, I will be back to discussing Blu2 and Dave soon).

Hmm, to me it looks like "one of them pigs"is looking in the wrong direction. The question is which one ?
And where is the third one?
I always remember them as "three litttle pigs".
Your pic reminds me of a "directional cable "I have. I can't remember which way to connect it correctly, nor do I hear any differences either way.
But I DO know that my Chord Indigo rca cable sounds clearly better than my earlier Audioquest cable in my system. One word: Transparency!
Cables can indeed matter if you listen carefully.
In my experience that is an undeniable fact.
I have little experience with usb cables and DACs though.
My first 2 DACs had firewire and SPDIF connections.
With my Benchmark DAC 2 I am still using the one provided. But for my HUGO I got a possibly better shielded one than the little white one provided from Chord into my HUGO.
But I did so only after the original one gradually became nonfunctional.
As far as USB and DACs is concerned all I know is the PRO ADC /DACs avoid usb.
With Firewire now gone in the world of recording classical music, Ethernet seems to rule.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #1,254 of 4,904
It would seem that we have a mole in our R&D who is passing on some of our best work.

We absolutely agree with your conclusions regarding tubes but luckily we have already moved on from that stage of development and have now incorporated it in our homeopathic range of cables. Here all the advantages of your tube cables are retained but we merely have to wrap the cable around a tube, hold it there for 10 seconds and then remove the tube. Miraculously this has EXACTLY the same effect and cable performance as your clumbersome tube cable.

Now you remind me of young Rowan Atkinson in the HIFI Shop!
Important as I am,I am of course awaiting a specially insured VIP Royal Post Express delivery of your homeopathic range cable which will undoubtedly save me a lot of not only worry,but also heaps of money.
But I must absolutely insist that the tube rubbing on my samples will have been done with old Russian 2nd world war tubes that have seen real combat.
Nothing less than the very best is good enough for me.
What a relief, finally no more need of a DAVE/BLU2 or even HUGO 2 in my system.
Cheers Christer

Aug 25, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,255 of 4,904
Now you remind me of young Rowan Atkinson in the HIFI Shop!
Important as I am,I am of course awaiting a specially insured VIP Royal Post Express delivery of your homeopathic range cable which will undoubtedly save me a lot of not only worry,but also heaps of money.
But I must absolutely insist that the tube rubbing on my samples will have been done with old Russian 2nd world war tubes that have seen real combat.
Nothing less than the very best is good enough for me.
What a relief, finally no more need of a DAVE/BLU2 or even HUGO 2 in my system.
Cheers Christer

Ah, as it happens well I went to school with Rowan Atkinson (no, really I did).

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #1,256 of 4,904
On a whim two days ago, while taking a break from listening to a new mains cable I have on loan and catching up on the latest posts on this thread, I rang up my dealer to ask about availability and pricing of a blu 2. Yes, even for us Brits there is a several week wait. But as a result of that conversation I do now have a blu 2 on loan for a week or two.

I didn't waste much time when the box arrived. Quickly read the instructions, connected everything up with my DAVE (using the 0.5m cables supplied with the blu 2) and started playing music - CDs and various 16/44.1 and 24/96 files through my mRendu 1.4 + ISO Regen. Wow! My system is still some way off what it could be with better power supplies, better cables, direct connection/bridging etc but is not bad and it was immediately apparent that the blu 2 introduced changes more profound than any other single tweak or upgrade I have made so far. Everything was more open, more dynamic, more real, smoother with less glare, and my LCD-4 (usually second choice behind my Utopia) finally sounded more like I always hoped it would (less congested and more dynamic).

Alas, the joy did not last. As the blu 2 case started to warm up (it does end up getting very hot) I started to get drop-outs with music playing through the usb connection (the only connection option I currently have), with these drop-outs gradually becoming more frequent (3-4 or more per track). There was no problem with playing CDs. I tried changing the usb cables (USPCB, Curious Link and the cable that came with my DAVE) and also tried the various cables playing music from my iPad directly connected to the blu 2 via the Apple camera adapter, but the drop-outs carried on unabated. I've tried switching off and letting both DAVE and blu 2 cool down, but on powering back up the sequence is always the same - fine to begin with but then increasing drop-outs.

My dealer is discussing with Chord and I will hopefully hear back very quickly.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #1,257 of 4,904
Hmm, to me it looks like "one of them pigs"is looking in the wrong direction. The question is which one ?
And where is the third one?
I always remember them as "three litttle pigs".
Your pic reminds me of a "directional cable "I have. I can't remember which way to connect it correctly, nor do I hear any differences either way.
But I DO know that my Chord Indigo rca cable sounds clearly better than my earlier Audioquest cable in my system. One word: Transparency!
Cables can indeed matter if you listen carefully.
In my experience that is an undeniable fact.
I have little experience with usb cables and DACs though.
My first 2 DACs had firewire and SPDIF connections.
With my Benchmark DAC 2 I am still using the one provided. But for my HUGO I got a possibly better shielded one than the little white one provided from Chord into my HUGO.
But I did so only after the original one gradually became nonfunctional.
As far as USB and DACs is concerned all I know is the PRO ADC /DACs avoid usb.
With Firewire now gone in the world of recording classical music, Ethernet seems to rule.

No, it's the cables that are in different directions, not the pigs.

And thanks to Nick for pointing out he was not being serious.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,258 of 4,904
On a whim two days ago, while taking a break from listening to a new mains cable I have on loan and catching up on the latest posts on this thread, I rang up my dealer to ask about availability and pricing of a blu 2. Yes, even for us Brits there is a several week wait. But as a result of that conversation I do now have a blu 2 on loan for a week or two.

I didn't waste much time when the box arrived. Quickly read the instructions, connected everything up with my DAVE (using the 0.5m cables supplied with the blu 2) and started playing music - CDs and various 16/44.1 and 24/96 files through my mRendu 1.4 + ISO Regen. Wow! My system is still some way off what it could be with better power supplies, better cables, direct connection/bridging etc but is not bad and it was immediately apparent that the blu 2 introduced changes more profound than any other single tweak or upgrade I have made so far. Everything was more open, more dynamic, more real, smoother with less glare, and my LCD-4 (usually second choice behind my Utopia) finally sounded more like I always hoped it would (less congested and more dynamic).

Alas, the joy did not last. As the blu 2 case started to warm up (it does end up getting very hot) I started to get drop-outs with music playing through the usb connection (the only connection option I currently have), with these drop-outs gradually becoming more frequent (3-4 or more per track). There was no problem with playing CDs. I tried changing the usb cables (USPCB, Curious Link and the cable that came with my DAVE) and also tried the various cables playing music from my iPad directly connected to the blu 2 via the Apple camera adapter, but the drop-outs carried on unabated. I've tried switching off and letting both DAVE and blu 2 cool down, but on powering back up the sequence is always the same - fine to begin with but then increasing drop-outs.

My dealer is discussing with Chord and I will hopefully hear back very quickly.

Which BNC inputs are you using on the Dave? Try using the other set. I don't think it's USB related.

Also, I thinK the Blu II runs slightly cooler if you put it into standby with the remote. This only turns off the CD related parts. You can still use USB.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #1,259 of 4,904
No, it's the cables that are in different directions, not the pigs.

And thanks to Nick for pointing out he was not being serious.

Well spotted on the pigs. The pigs both line up in the same direction on the cable but you can see both ends of the cable so the pigs appear to be going in different directions.

I sometimes forget that my humour can be an acquired taste.

Nick

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,260 of 4,904
Which BNC inputs are you using on the Dave? Try using the other set. I don't think it's USB related.

Also, I thinK the Blu II runs slightly cooler if you put it into standby with the remote. This only turns off the CD related parts. You can still use USB.

Except that I think he says that the CDs play OK and that still uses the BNC connections to Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back