Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #826 of 4,904
Yes, I have mRendu which is connected via Ethernet to the switch in the Melco NAS and the whole system is powered by a balanced power supply. I have a W4S RUR which I used initially when I had an Auralic Aries direct into Dave and it did make an improvement but, when I got the mRendu, I felt the W4S was just unnecessary and didn't add anything positive. I haven't even tried it with the BluDave combo since it didn't benefit the Dave - maybe I should, but it sounds so good right now and I hate messing around with kit and A/B'ing to see if it is worthwhile or not.

Have you tried your melco direct to dave with usb rather than ethernet streaming if you have which do you prefer ...?

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #827 of 4,904
Have you tried your melco direct to dave with usb rather than ethernet streaming if you have which do you prefer ...?

Yes, Melco direct to Dave via USB sounds very good. Originally, in my system using Dave on its own, the best sound quality was as follows:
1. MBL CD via AES/EBU
2. Melco via USB
3. Aries via optical
4. Coax was least preferred, irrespective of the source

1. and 2. were quite close. I ran with these 3 sources and used the Aries primarily for streaming from Qobuz and I played my own files mainly through the Melco. I then switched to using Roon, so I acquired the mRendu for that. I compared mRendu to Melco, both plugged into Dave via USB but, because there is only one USB input into Dave, direct A/B comparisons are difficult and you are relying upon memory. At the time, my thoughts were that the Melco had the edge but I went mRendu because of the flexibility that Roon provides. Sound quality with Roon has definitely improved since, so a comparison now would be interesting. I really only got the mRendu because of my decision to adopt Roon for all streaming, other than that, I would have stuck with Melco via USB into Dave.

I can easily A/B Melco into Dave via USB vs mRendu into Blu II via USB through into Dave by dual BNC and the latter is most definitely better - but that's what this thread is all about! Hope that helps.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #828 of 4,904
Great, thanks for the feedback. Further proof that, as far as people like me are concerned, there is no value in the CD mechanism in the Blu 2, just unnecessary expense! Roll on the standalone M Scaler! Come on Chord, you know it makes sense!

I've just had a conversation with my dealer where he was recommending a particular music server that has a cd mechanism so one can rip CDs direct to the server's 1, 2 or 4TB solid state drive. You might know which one I'm talking about if I ask if you have read a book called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

So I just had a whacky thought. Pay attention @Rob Watts. How about Chord making the next MScaler as a combined server and CD ripping device? That would be interesting.

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #829 of 4,904
Chord were telling me that the Xilinx part had gone from 4 weeks to 12 weeks. More stock is coming, but getting parts is a major headache at the moment. Electronics is cyclical, and capacity can't be turned on and off quickly.

Thanks for the update Rob. Honestly, I would have never guess that the Xilinx was the constrained part (at least in quantities that I'm guessing Chord is working with), but interesting that Xilinx manages their stock so tightly. VERY painful when you're waiting on the fab to crank out a new run.

The positive side is more time to order cables to connect to my DAVE :wink:

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #830 of 4,904
I can easily A/B Melco into Dave via USB vs mRendu into Blu II via USB through into Dave by dual BNC and the latter is most definitely better - but that's what this thread is all about! Hope that helps.[/QUOTE] @Malcyg

Thank you for the update, looking at your last sentence Melco did not have the advantage of Blu II in the chain..? So would have expected the mRendu to have the advantage have I that correct..?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #831 of 4,904
Malcyg
Thank you for the update, looking at your last sentence Melco did not have the advantage of Blu II in the chain..? So would have expected the mRendu to have the advantage have I that correct..?

Yes, correct. Melco direct into Dave vs mRendu - Blu II - Dave, so not really a fair comparison. I have not tried Melco into Blu II because I only use it as NAS now since it does not play with Roon. If it sounds better than mRendu, then I don't want to know! PM me if you need any more info on the Melco vs mRendu.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #835 of 4,904
Would you put off road capability on to a Ferrari?

I don't know but I can't see what that has to do with the price of fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back