Chord DAVE power supply sensitivity?
Jul 31, 2016 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

watermad

New Head-Fier
I am a 3rd generation Chord DAC user having started with the Chord DAC 64MKII, upgraded to the Chord QBD76 and now upgraded to the Chord DAVE, so you can say I am quite familiar with the Chord house sound or lack of.

I'm still getting acquainted with the Chord DAVE, very listenable, musical, however I have noticed a susceptibility/sensitivity to power fluctuations. Now being a new age man I do my own ironing, and noticed when I connected my Braun cordless iron to the charging cradle their was a very small but perceptible break in the music?

This phenomenon also in the music pausing occurs when I turn on my Sonus Faber Gravis B active subwoofer, hence my question regarding power supply to the DAVE, as this pausing in music never occurred with either the DAC 64MKII or QBD76 and the DAVE is plugged into the exact same setup, so it is the only variable.

I am using TCI power strips and power cables, so the power supply is as clean as I can get without using a power conditioner.

I would be interested if any DAVE users have encountered this issue, or have noticed improvements when using power conditioners? 

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Hmm, very perplexing, I am a Computer Scientist by trade, so fairly analytical.

The deterministic behaviour of the music pausing has now disappeared. On further thought, I am using a Squeezebox Touch connected via Coax BNC. I connected my Chord BLU by dual data BNC and there was no pause, switched back to my Squeezebox and still no pause?

The QDB76 had a RAM buffer, so if there was an issue with the Squeezebox losing the signal I wouldn't notice as it is a matter of millisecond pause, does the DAVE have internal buffering of the signal? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back