Chord DAVE HD audio lock failure on optical above 48Khz?
Jun 25, 2016 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

watermad

New Head-Fier
Hello Audiophiles,
I have just upgraded my DAC from a Chord QBD76 to a DAVE and getting used to the new sonic environment.

I was looking forward to trying out high resolution audio and downloaded the HD Tracks high-resolution audio sampler tracks, however when I try to play them back through my Squeezebox touch the DAVE fails to lock onto anything above 48Khz, I know its not the Squeezebox as my QDB76 could playback  96Khz audio files, any ideas from DAVE owners?

Regards
Watermad

Keep it Funky!!!

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 4
I have never seen problems with 88.2 or 96, so this is very unusual. 192 can be a problem, for long lengths of cable you need a quality glass fibre.

The SPDIF rx is improved on the one with the QBD too; it dynamically compensates for differing rise and fall times - which is a big problem with Toslink.

Make sure the cable is firmly attached (you get a click when it goes in). Sometimes it is in but not fully, then the connection is unreliable.

Rob

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 4
Dear Rob,

Woah, I didn’t expect a reply from the designer J!

I suspect as much as I am using TCI Kukri, unfortunately the Toslink optical inputs are narrower than the QDB76, thus the Kukri which has a large diameter connecter will not fit, it does not click connect, just hands in the input, which is fine for 44Khz, but higher frequencies will not lock, I guess more sensitive to the light, as lack of a proper connection.

Fortunately I have a Coaxial SPDIF so have used that instead, and can now try out the high resolution downloads. I have only had a weekend to listen in any depth, but definite improvements over the QDB76, as there should be.

I am currently experimenting with the DAVE as a Digital Pre v DAC to see if I can remove my Music First Audio Classic v II Passive Magnetic Preamplifier, one issue is I have a large collection of vinyl, so would need an ADC, any plans to accommodate vinyl lovers?

Regards

David

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Oh good, problem solved - just get a smaller optical connector, it needs to click to work.

Yes I am currently completing the PCB for the Davina prototype, which is an ADC for Dave. It should be ready next year. I will be posting something about it on my Watts up blog.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back