chord dac 64 & what else?
Mar 2, 2009 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
So I would get chord, but the four second buffer doesn't sound like its going to work for me, I'd like to use it in a studio application.

Instead, I'm thinking the bel canto is a good option,

When I read about the chord dac64, people kept saying how it was uber musical, I want something like that
any other suggestions?

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 7
...you can turn the delay off or choose from 1.5 seconds or 4 secs. The delay (buffer) is only needed on bad recordings; the 1.5 or no buffer is fine for better recordings.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 7
The delay on the chord is optional both the 64 and 76 have it. It is the result of a two-stage buffer that re-clocks the digital signal to reduce jitter, its only application is if you have a very very poor source i.e. transport or source files and in most cases with a good transport or source file will make no difference and is therefore best left off. In the quaterback dac 76 there a four settings that range from 1 to 4 seconds. The 76 is the best digital source I have heard by a huge margin it takes the CD12 to school when it comes to low level detail and musicality, I have not heard the 64 but it uses the same pulse array so I don't see there being much difference!

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even 1.5 seconds is super sketchy when it comes to editing audio recording in ProTools,
analyzing audio wave patterns, it would be impossible to tell what you were watching/listening to.

DAC64 has 3 settings for buffering:
- no buffering (0 sec delay)
- minimum (2-3 sec)
- maximum (4-5 sec)

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 7
Well as much as I like my Chord, the "competition" (which I haven't had a chance to actually hear) is the Minerva or Berkley. The Orpheus form Switzerland is also good. I had one of those about 5 years ago and sold it ... they make a 'studio' version and the designer is known for supplying many studios.

The main problem is getting to hear all these. But as others have suggested, you cannot go wrong with the Chord 64. I wish I had the budget for the 76 ...it addresses the few minor beefs I have with my 64. And yes, I concur with mark, you don't need any delay with studio quality material. I've confirmed this by running HDtracks 24/96 through all three settings (no delay, 1 sec and 4 sec). I can't tell the difference. On CD's that are etchy and digital, the delay helps immensely.

I'm now running an Empirical modded Monarchy upsampler with a SuperClock between my computer and the Chord, has brought a new level equal to my SACD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back