Chord Anni
Oct 19, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #481 of 564
Do you know about the gs-x's sound signature? I like my sound a bit on the warm side. Before the Anni I had the Topping A90 and it was perfectly built, sounded smooth as silk but just a bit too neutral for my taste.

Not SS, but if you like Anni sound, you may like Cayin HA-3A as well.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #483 of 564
All,

I’d watched the Dave MOD by Sean Jacobs and later saw Farad do their version a lot cheaper... I asked before Christmas if Mattijs could do a custom supply for Anni. I assumed the supply was +- 15v symmetrical... Checking its not. A standard Farad super3 would work. Lots of Emails and measuring the Pinout designed a custom cable. 15v 3A Farad super 3. I ordered the basic model but once received ordered the Quantum audio blue for fun.

I’ve 5 days on the fuse and 20 ish for the recommended burn in settle time ears and kit.... 10 days left to go..

The change is not subtle I’ve been let down a lot on headfi and other forums with huge changes... but at best subtle refinement or no change to my ears....

With out trying to sound over excited the Anni is massively held back. The supplies for the Qutest i tried..again not much change over the wallwart. Only one made it better..

The Farad Anni is in every aspect better just deeper wider more holographic. Sharper highs, the bass deeper rumbling. Vocals more like the real thing all those extra not heard before details.

Chords flow down tech has been a work of art, they have done an amazing job as power now scales it way beyond its basic sound.

I am not writing a review its to early I am not a reviewer or access to the many amps available.

It needs to be compared by wiser more experienced headfiers. At least the Hugo or TT... at least its competitors or higher.

I want an expert to prove its not hyperbole... and show the real delta now and what it beats on the market...

I am now free of wall warts as I can now power the Qutest Anni from one supply via the 12v out to 5v USB converter.

I hate the fuse so much...its a fuse. I’d tried the Synergistic black for fun but a slight change. In Mattijs work of art its a What change. I have to accept its no longer a safety device but a bonified audio component. 24 hours it settled but instant change. I went for the Quantum audio blue for my cash limit.. they go from basic audiophile mark up to NBA superstar prices.... The blue was enough but I am so glad I did.

Gent’s you know this hobby... The only information I can really give is the Farad and fuse make the Anni change by a large margin. Only you can decide if its right for you. I am terrified of passing on any bad information , this isn’t a millionaires club.. if you are not upgrading to another Amp really really consider ordering this. A gentleman on Chord owners group Facebook has ordered basically the same just a level 2 cable so I can pass on his impressions mid Feb as extra clarification evidence...

The Farad was a special birthday treat...

The Chord engineers hacmve worked a mini miracle now its got a chance to showcase thier chops. Mattijs design with 4 pin out low noise design works perfectly... his design matches the reviews with his suggestion of the fuse is superb. A lovely guy too patient and very helpful...

A big post with not much detail but I had to pass on this information as I feel its a must have...

The 15v Farad super 3 and custom cable is now on the available list to buy, so you can ask away to Mattijs any queries.

Lots of option extra if you are inclined ..i went with what I could afford....

I didn’t want to post this as it can be a stress and responsibility but you guys now know there is a valid upgrade path with real results.

I sincerely hope this information helps but I couldn’t be happier as my best upgrade I’ve done.

Good luck all

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #484 of 564
... this isn’t a millionaires club... if you are not upgrading to another Amp really really consider ordering this...
Good luck all
Indeed, $600 bucks... there are a lot of options for that money... but almost every seller has free returns nowadays so I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Although it kind of defies the idea of having a compact solution like the Anni...

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #485 of 564
The improvement from the upgraded power supply that i can't see another HPA matching it as even at the increased price.. The improvement is so great... I can't get my head around it. Blindfold you wouldn't believe it was the same amp.
Yes I forgot there is the option of trialing it for the sake postage cost...

The added advantage is you get a new improved power supply for both the Qutest and the Anni in one. Now I'd like to see another on the Qutest for curiosity.

A lot of people buy try and sell on with 6 months so if its a keeper then this should be the next upgrade to think about. For me I have a new DAC and new headphones virtually.
I love the Anni but wanted a touch more top end sparkle as DCA Ether 2s are more mid centric now I have both.

Apologies for the messie last post Edge doesn't seem to let you edit Headfi posts and just adds huge gaps.

The option is there now for Anni owner especially with the Qutest.
I think there is more than enough power for people even with the full stack of the Huei... I wasn't getting .5 a draw for both Qutest and Anni driving my Ethers.

I am just tired from playing every song I have, listening late night to all these new sounds, extra detail, transients and bass extension.... i keep flicking to the next one....

Again I say Chord designers have done a great job. Farad turn it into a superstar...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #486 of 564
Just sorry I can't help, A tad warm but detailed with my Anni Qutest. Really happy as a purchase way above the Singxer SA1 modded and the Gilmore mk2 and PSU...
If you are feeding the Qutest USB swapping to the RCA via the Audiowise SRC-DX is a big boost..... i hope you find users who have the EMPYREAN anni stack... Nice to see you are still posting Charente Salute..🙂
So the Anni > Gilmore mk2, if I understand you right?

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #488 of 564
I see the Anni can't handle the Susvaras.

Can the Anni handle the DCA Stealths?
Just got the Anni.

I'm waiting on a better input cable but so far I'm not too impressed. It's smearing the high end. Straight out of the DAVE is more engaging. Plus it doesn't have enough gain for low gain music on the Stealths.

I'm wondering if there's a burn-in time needed?

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #489 of 564
Anni could handle most DD's, that's it.
Use a Grado, Focal or whatever easy to drive like IEM's. Forget about the rest.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #490 of 564
Has anyone tried the Anni with the Caldera or the Expanse?

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #491 of 564
How much power can the Anni output to headphones? I’m concerned the 10watt figure is just for speakers.

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #492 of 564
same for HP's

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #493 of 564
same for HP's
You would think that the Anni could drive the Susvara then. I just bought an Anni after looking at 20 or so other amps. Got a good deal on a used one. Moving up from a Rupert Neve RNHP amp. We'll see how the Anni does vs the Violectric V222 that I just sold off not too long ago.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #494 of 564
susvara is a tough load, I am sure it can drive it question is how well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back