Chopstick DIY Foamies
Jul 11, 2007 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TomH

100+ Head-Fier
After some experimentation and getting tired of ordering new foams for my IM716s, I settled on the following method for easily and quickly making new foams for the 716s and ER4P/S earphones.

1) Select a favorite foam earplug - I chose 3M 1100 for their durability and availability.

2) Cut to length and trim to desired shape - I cut to match the length of the stock foamies for the particular earphone.

3) Flatten the earplug lengthwise to make a uniform disc (aids in centering the needed hole)

4) Punch through the center with a brad or fine finishing nail, twisting to break the foam skin on the far side.

5) Slide the small end of a sharply pointed chopstick or similar tapered rod through behind the brad or nail, all the way through the earplug.

6) Repeat with the second earplug, and push both far enough onto the chopstick to expand the hole through the earplugs to about 2X the size of the tubing or core that you have already removed from a worn out or sacrificial pair of OEM foamies. Careful not to expand the earplugs so much they tear. The 3M plugs easily expand to about 1/4" without tearing.

7) Place the stretched earplugs on the chopstick into a freezer for a couple of hours or less (20-30 minutes has been sufficient). Just get them good and cold.

8) Remove the Chopstick with foamies from the freezer and within 3-5 minutes slide off the earplugs one at a time and place the tubing/cores inside the expanded hole, holding in place until the earplugs warm up and expand to capture the tubing/core and return to original shape.

No glue needed, no water needed. These polymers stiffen at low temperatures, which is what buys you enough time to slide them over the tubing/cores while they warm up. I've had perfect results with the IM716 cores. I'd characterize the fit, comfort and sound of the 3M based foamies as equal or superior to the OEM foamies, and much more durable.

And I found a good use for chopsticks with a fine point.

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 9
Pictures on request if anyone wants. Couldn't quite stay within the 25kb limit in the original post.

The chopsticks really do need to be pointy - I got mine in Japan a couple of years ago and when I practiced enough to pick up single grains of rice with their small tips, there was just the need to find an additional practical use.

They have paid for themselves already in weight loss and foamie savings.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 9
This sounds interesting and I would love to see some photos. I'm giving my wife my 716's once my super.fi 5's come, and I'm currently on my last pair of usable foamies.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 9
I got this from another head-fi thread. It worked for me...

Soak soft foam plugs (I used Flents "Quiet Please" with an NRR of 29) in water, then squeeze the water out, then put the plugs in the freezer and they will harden enough to hold their shape so they can be drilled with an electric drill or dremel. You still have to be very careful to drill exactly through the center, but they drill very easily and will not close-up. Then insert some tubes from old OEM tips and you are done. It took about day for the tips to completely thaw and dry out.

The downside of using disposable soft foam plugs as tips is that they don't seem to last very long. They stopped returning to their shape after only a week or two of heavy use. I did not try to clean them or refreeze them to see if they would come back, so that might have helped. But, they are cheap and comfortable when new.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KaMaji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rugby owns. Union or League??
^-^

Union. Retired a few years ago after 22 yrs...and the birth of my dtr.
Also just received shipping info from Amazon re my sf5 pro's! I'll post my impressions after a few days of playing with them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back