choppy dvd playback... help!
Jun 21, 2006 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

okay_player

100+ Head-Fier
Wasn't sure if I should've put this in the Computer-as-source section...anyway..

Something is up with my Pioneer DVD-RW. The audio/video playback of a DVD is choppy. It's not horribly choppy, but certainly too annoying to sit through. This happens both with burned DVD's and store-bought ones. I tried updating the drivers and also installed a codec pack, but it just doesn't want to play smoothly through WMP. I used to use PowerDVD until it just stopped working altogether. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling PowerDVD but whenever I try to access the disk through the program, it crashes. Does anyone have any idea's of how I might go about fixing this? Other software to try?

I'm running an Athlon XP @ 1.8ghz, 512 RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and just got all the automatic updates. The Drive shows up as a Pioneer DVR-106D in the Device Manager, if that helps.

Jun 22, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Go back to device manager, click "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" -> Primary IDE Channel -> Advanced Settings. Make sure that transfer mode is DMA, not PIO. Do the same for Secondary IDE Channel. Hope that helps!

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 3
Yeah.. I tried that and unfortunately it didn't change anything.

Upon further inspection, its more a problem with the audio. It seems to sort of pop/crackle every few seconds. The video itself seems to be okay. I tried reinstalling the drivers for my soundcard (an old SB Live Platinum 5.1) but unfortunately that didn't fix it.

Any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back