Choosing USB/DAC AMP
Oct 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vitor Teixeira

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to make two in one, meaning, need to improve the sound quality when listening at home via laptop, and on the go with iPod, been searching the forum and reaching to this little beauties:

Ibasso D2 + Boa
HeadRoom Total BitHead
NuForce uDAC

so this ones are the one i can afford to buy, but dont know wich one..
Also another question, i have 1 pair of iem (Shure SE 420) another on the way (SoundMagic PL50), and thinking about Allesandro MS1, will any of this improve the sound quality in these phones?

Thank you so much, and sorry if its been asked before.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 9
My D10 did a decent improvement with my full sized cans. But marginal improvement with my SE530's seeing as they are extremely efficient to begin with. I'd expect similar results with a D2

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 9
The Nuforce uDac isn't available until November. Did you mean the Nuforce Icon Mobile? I have a feeling the uDac will be better for laptop use, but doesn't run off of batteries so wouldn't be much good for your ipod.

I was looking for the exact same things as you are and decided on the Total Bithead (mainly because I got it half off used on our FS forums). It is somewhere between Canada and Florida at this point so I can't tell you how it sounds.

All 3 that you are looking at are well regarded and are great entry level choices.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Meier also.

I have their 2Move, and it's pretty nice. The built in DAC is nice if your source has problems with sound quality or noise. The downside is that with a laptop or PC, you're typically giving up some EQing ability doing so.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitor Teixeira /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I want to make two in one, meaning, need to improve the sound quality when listening at home via laptop, and on the go with iPod, been searching the forum and reaching to this little beauties:

Ibasso D2 + Boa
HeadRoom Total BitHead
NuForce uDAC

so this ones are the one i can afford to buy, but dont know wich one..
Also another question, i have 1 pair of iem (Shure SE 420) another on the way (SoundMagic PL50), and thinking about Allesandro MS1, will any of this improve the sound quality in these phones?

Thank you so much, and sorry if its been asked before.

Forgot to mention another thing, when listening on the computer i will use the DAC not with headphones, but with speakers ( for now i have Logitech Z4), does this deserve an amp 2 times is price? Will it improve even this ones, or can you recomend me some good speakers to pair?

Thanks again.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Well your speakers already have a built in amp, it isn't driven by your computer. Your computer just gives it a signal. I'd rather get a cheap DAC and upgrade your speakers instead of thinking about a pre-amp for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back