Choosing the right set of cans - DT990s or HD600s?
Apr 21, 2010 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xfixiator

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase my first set of "real" cans, and after many an hour of browsing Head-Fi and reading countless threads, I have basically narrowed down my choices to the Beyerdynamic DT990s or the Sennheiser HD600s. Previously on my list of possible candidates had been the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s and the Shure SRH840s.

These will be my first set of decent headphones, although I do currently own the Head-Direct RE0s. Ideally I would like something that counterbalances what the RE0s are good at, ie something fun, warm, and bassy (although I am by no means a bass head), opposed to the cold, analytical sound the RE0s offer. Sound stage is also important. From what I have read, open headphones are definitely the way to go.

Comfort is also a very crucial factor, as I plan on using them for extended periods of time, and I have a rather large head. Portability is not at all a factor for me.

My music interests are fairly varied, but I mainly listen to 70s funk. I also enjoy the blues, jazz, and soul.

From my research, the DT990's and the HD600's fit my needs. Which would you guys suggest, given what I'm looking for? Also, I do realize that these headphones greatly benefit from an amp, which I do not own, but I am planning on acquiring one further down the road, so unless they sound unbearable without an amp, it is not really a huge factor. If anyone thinks I'm off base with my choices so far, I'm open to suggestions.

Unfortunately, given my location, there is no place I could sample any of these headphones, so I am forced to take a bit of a leap of faith and just buy whichever sounds like they fit my needs best.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 10
I own both and the DT990 (600 ohms) are my favorite ones. I also really enjoy 70's funk and for this style of music the DT990 beats the HD600 hands down. For blues, jazz and soul, some people might prefer HD600 or DT990 but for me, when it comes to funk, i reach for the DT990. I also really like my HF2 for funk !

Regarding the amp, it's a must with the DT990/600.

Oh, and the DT990 is probably one of the most comfortable heaphone in the whole universe ... and maybe beyond

EDIT : by the way, wrong forum !!

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 10
I own and use the hd-600 and have listened to the beyer dt-880. I like both, so much in fact that I am thinking about buying a pair of beyers. Never heard the 990's. I like 70's funk too (funkadelic ftw!!!), and enjoy it with the senns.

I would be wary about choosing a pair of headphones to "counterbalance" the sound signature of your iems. You won't be listening to both at the same time, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

A note about purchasing stuff on head-fi based on lurking here and so on: I was in your shoes when I got here. Reading about stuff, not trying it out and then buying some items. One thing to realize is that most people posting here are passionate about audio / gear / music and thus tend to exaggerate. A reason for exaggeration is that when comparing two things that are similar, the reviewer will obviously notice and voice the differences more.

Another reason is psychological, if you shell out a couple of hundred/thousand dollars on a product (be that an amp, a dac, a piece of wire), you will want to feel good about yourself and you will happily notice small differences (or even imagine them) and post about the "night and day change". I'm not implying people here lie, just that to someone who isnt a music tech and is new to this world, most amps and sources reviewed here will sound very much alike. And yet if he doesn't have a chance to check these things out, he will feel the need to buy a new amp / dac / whatever, so he can achieve these night and day differences.

Just to check these things out, I popped my senns off the amp/dac combo and onto a jvc minitower (a good quality one, nice (digital) amplification for the speakers, but not a "high end" headphone choice). I listened to a track off a cd, then I came back to the PC and popped that into foobar. Is there a difference? Yes. Is this a HUGE difference? No. Add to that that I have a tubed headphone amp, which is supposed to be again a huge difference from solid state amps like that in the jvc. The receiver had enough power to drive my headphones. The differences are in nuanced things like presentation and soundstage, and some additional detail.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own and use the hd-600 and have listened to the beyer dt-880. I like both, so much in fact that I am thinking about buying a pair of beyers. Never heard the 990's. I like 70's funk too (funkadelic ftw!!!), and enjoy it with the senns.

I would be wary about choosing a pair of headphones to "counterbalance" the sound signature of your iems. You won't be listening to both at the same time, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

A note about purchasing stuff on head-fi based on lurking here and so on: I was in your shoes when I got here. Reading about stuff, not trying it out and then buying some items. One thing to realize is that most people posting here are passionate about audio / gear / music and thus tend to exaggerate. A reason for exaggeration is that when comparing two things that are similar, the reviewer will obviously notice and voice the differences more.

Another reason is psychological, if you shell out a couple of hundred/thousand dollars on a product (be that an amp, a dac, a piece of wire), you will want to feel good about yourself and you will happily notice small differences (or even imagine them) and post about the "night and day change". I'm not implying people here lie, just that to someone who isnt a music tech and is new to this world, most amps and sources reviewed here will sound very much alike. And yet if he doesn't have a chance to check these things out, he will feel the need to buy a new amp / dac / whatever, so he can achieve these night and day differences.

Just to check these things out, I popped my senns off the amp/dac combo and onto a jvc minitower (a good quality one, nice (digital) amplification for the speakers, but not a "high end" headphone choice). I listened to a track off a cd, then I came back to the PC and popped that into foobar. Is there a difference? Yes. Is this a HUGE difference? No. Add to that that I have a tubed headphone amp, which is supposed to be again a huge difference from solid state amps like that in the jvc. The receiver had enough power to drive my headphones. The differences are in nuanced things like presentation and soundstage, and some additional detail.

Brillant post Feanor ! I agree 100 % with everything you wrote. The difference won't be night and day as Feanor said ... don't expect the DT990 to turn into a 3000 $ pair of headphones because it's plugged in a 500 $ amp. But an amp will be a very good way the help the DT990 reach their full potential.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Awesome, thanks for your input rattesp, glad to hear they're good for funk
darthsmile.gif
. Sorry about the wrong forum thing. As I'm sure you have gathered, it's my first time posting. So I know next time, where would the correct place be?

@ Feanor, heh, no I am not planning on listening to both at the same time
tongue_smile.gif
, what I meant by that is that I am not particularly looking for an analytical set of cans. Appreciate the tips though man.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 10
I totally agree with you Feanor. Good post. I found that buying the HD 600 and HD650 off the for sale section was a good choice as I got to listen to both of them and then I sold the one I did not like as well. Suprisingly I chose the 650 just because of a perceived little bit better bass at least to me. The differences were quite small in my opinion and I could have lived with either. Obviously you are going to need an amp with a 600 ohm headphone and you could maybe get by with the HD 600 unamped but it would be so much fuller sounding amped. Good luck in your search and thak you for letting us spend your money, LOL.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xfixiator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, thanks for your input rattesp, glad to hear they're good for funk
darthsmile.gif
. Sorry about the wrong forum thing. As I'm sure you have gathered, it's my first time posting. So I know next time, where would the correct place be?

@ Feanor, heh, no I am not planning on listening to both at the same time
tongue_smile.gif
, what I meant by that is that I am not particularly looking for an analytical set of cans. Appreciate the tips though man.

I'm sure a mod will move this in some time. The correct subforum would be the headphones (full sized) one, as you are asking about headphones, not amps. Where do you live, btw? If you are in the states, postal fees are quite decent, you can easily buy either one (or both) second hand to try and resell them here if you are not satisfied with them or have decided.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 10
I actually live in Canada, but yeah, that is what I am thinking of doing. I'll probably end up getting the DT990s second hand, maybe even from the buy/sell section here, and then I may end up getting the HD600s as well, selling whichever pair I like less.

I also feel like a total moron now for posting in the amp section. I thought I was posting in the headphone section.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, all my music is lossless (FLAC), and I generally listen to my music through my Rockboxed Sansa Clip+. I don't actually have an amp yet (unless you call the FiiO E3 an amp). I'm waiting on buying an amp for now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back