Choosing my next 2.0 speakers
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yonyz

Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently have Creative T20 speakers. They're good, but not too good. I am from Israel, so many models sold in the US or other countries aren't available here. I've decided on my budget, and narrowed the options to these:

FC330 (these are the only 2.1 on this list)
SOLO6C (exactly twice the price of the FC330)
SOLO7C (used, same price as FC330 new)
M-Audio AV40 ($15 more than the SOLO6C)
Other SOLO models (2C, 4C, 5C), which all cost roughly the same.
BOSE Companion 2
Logitech Z520
MicroLab X1 2.0 (same price as AV40)
GigaWorks T40 II (probably the same as my T20 but with twice the volume, which I don't need)
ADC AB1
Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.SR (same price as AV40)
Alpha Technology 606S
Pure Acoustics Dream Box (same price as AV40)

I'll be using the speakers for music, movies and the weekly 30 minutes of gaming.

I read that the DIAMOND 9.SR are surround speakers, though they're just two speakers. Can they be used as a 2.0 setup, if I don't intend to ever add rear ones or a subwoofer? Also, are they active? If they're not, please consider them irrelevant.

Thank you.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 11
Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $170 + shipping.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 11
I read that the DIAMOND 9.SR are surround speakers, though they're just two speakers. Can they be used as a 2.0 setup, if I don't intend to ever add rear ones or a subwoofer? Also, are they active? If they're not, please consider them irrelevant.

The Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.SR are passive speakers and need an amp. Also note that technically, that most of the speakers you have selected will not be "active" speakers, merely "powered" speakers. Active speakers have separate amps in each with active crossovers.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 11
The Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.SR are passive speakers and need an amp. Also note that technically, that most of the speakers you have selected will not be "active" speakers, merely "powered" speakers. Active speakers have separate amps in each with active crossovers.

I see. How much will an amp for these speakers cost? I have a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer, btw. Does it help?
Also, how is the DIAMOND in comparison to the others, more specifically the SOLO6C?

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 11
I see. How much will an amp for these speakers cost? I have a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer, btw. Does it help?

I don't know how much an amp would cost. Same problem as with speakers. You don't have the same access to brands that we have. And no. A mixer doesn't have an amp. And if you are into mixing, maybe you ought to be looking at studio monitors.

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 11
I don't know how much an amp would cost. Same problem as with speakers. You don't have the same access to brands that we have. And no. A mixer doesn't have an amp. And if you are into mixing, maybe you ought to be looking at studio monitors.

Well, nevermind, cheapest amp I found is more than $100. Regarding the speakers, I understand the limitation, but that is exactly why I provided a list of models that I have access to and can afford.
I'm not into mixing (I was into it a few years ago), but I do tend to prefer rather flat sounding speakers and headphones.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Yes I can, but they're expensive as hell. Cheapest woofer is 573 NIS. Those speakers I mentioned in the list cost between 400 to 800. Two woofers = 1144 NIS. Already way out of budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back