Choosing my first pair of high quality Headphones.
Jan 25, 2012 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cameronisoup

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I'm sure you see a lot of these threads, but I could use some help picking out a nice audio set-up to help me get more out of the music I listen to. I've been lurking on these forums for quite awhile, and have managed familiarize myself with a lot of the important things I should know. I'm willing to spend up to $300 US on a sweet pair of closed headphones (including an amp if necessary).

So, here are some things you guys should probably know to be able to help me out :)

- I listen to a lot of metal, classic rock, some folk, classical and a bit of techno/trance/dubstep-like stuff.
- The headphones would be used mostly at home, with the occasional trip outside (in good weather of course). I plan to take really good care of them.
- I'm willing to invest in an portable/desktop amplifier that you recommend if it happens to suit a certain pair of headphones.
- Most of my music files are between 256 and 320 kbps, but I'm willing to get some flac files if it will make a difference.
- I listen out of an iphone 4 or my macbook air most of the time, and sometimes my samsung TV for movies and gaming.
- I kinda want something that would be good for immersive gaming too.
- I think I would like something with pretty good bass, but that also performs well all-around.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica M50's for awhile, and they look great for my needs, but please, throw some other suggestions out there guys. Anything that would suit my needs, that would last me a long time, and that would really introduce me well to the "world of the audiophile."

I would also appreciate any other tips, pointers, knowledge or advice that you guys might have for me.

Cheers!

EDIT: To be honest, I'll spend more than 300 if it's really worth it. I can always spend more on headphones now, and then save up to buy an amp later on down the road. So yeah, anything goes, really.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
I'm sure you see a lot of these threads, but I could use some help picking out a nice audio set-up to help me get more out of the music I listen to. I've been lurking on these forums for quite awhile, and have managed familiarize myself with a lot of the important things I should know. I'm willing to spend up to $300 US on a sweet pair of closed headphones (including an amp if necessary).
So, here are some things you guys should probably know to be able to help me out :)
- I listen to a lot of metal, classic rock, some folk, classical and a bit of techno/trance/dubstep-like stuff.
- The headphones would be used mostly at home, with the occasional trip outside (in good weather of course). I plan to take really good care of them.
- I'm willing to invest in an portable/desktop amplifier that you recommend if it happens to suit a certain pair of headphones.
- Most of my music files are between 256 and 320 kbps, but I'm willing to get some flac files if it will make a difference.
- I listen out of an iphone 4 or my macbook air most of the time, and sometimes my samsung TV for movies and gaming.
- I kinda want something that would be good for immersive gaming too.
- I think I would like something with pretty good bass, but that also performs well all-around.
I've been looking at the Audio Technica M50's for awhile, and they look great for my needs, but please, throw some other suggestions out there guys. Anything that would suit my needs, that would last me a long time, and that would really introduce me well to the "world of the audiophile."
I would also appreciate any other tips, pointers, knowledge or advice that you guys might have for me.
EDIT: To be honest, I'll spend more than 300 if it's really worth it. I can always spend more on headphones now, and then save up to buy an amp later on down the road. So yeah, anything goes, really.

More details about gaming, PS3, xBox, PC, etc.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 9
flac won't make too much of a difference without a quality soundcard or external dac and an amp. The M50's are great (if you're in to that sort of thing... :p), but when your ideal budget is twice that, you've got a lot more choices that would kick much more ass. I'm sure other people will name some names. With what you're looking at, and being new to this whole thing, the M50 or V-Moda (I don't know about this one; purely speculation) would both be good choices for cheap, though. So that's whatever it is.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 9
PC and Xbox gaming. Would probably plug them right into my TV for Xbox gaming though. I play mostly RPGs, not many competetive shooters, so bring on the bass. And I don't want them to have a microphone at all.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 9
The TBS Earforce DSS can be used with anything that has a digital optical output, Xbox, TV(?), cable box, PC.
It can take a Dolby digital signal and turn it into Dolby Virtual Headphone (surround sound).

Headphones
KRK KNS 8400, easy to drive, closed.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Okay, good to know. So I guess I should be investing in an DAC/AMP regardless of what I get? What do you guys think of the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1? Would that be a good combo with the M50's?

And I don't think Turtle Beach headphones are for me... What do you guys think about the Denon D2000s, the Fischer FA-003s, the KRK KNS8400s, or anything else Audio Technica? What has the best quality/price ratio?

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 9
Maybe predictable as a Fischer Audio addict... but they're worth a shot.  The FA-002Ws sound like something costing one hell of a lot more.  And the FA-004s cost peanuts but sound preposterously good... on first hearing them I laughed out loud, then felt somewhat guilty (as if I'd stolen something).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back