Choosing is losing: Fiio X5 3rd gen or Pioneer XDP-100R-K
Mar 17, 2017 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fossy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading/expanding my audio-setup using the money from my whisky collection i'm auctioning off.
Since someone overpaid me for a Macallan 18y sherry from 1996 I now have some extra cash to spend on a decent DAP. After some research it will either be the Fiio X5III or the Pioneer XDP-100R, but I'm completely torn between them since I can get either one for abt €450.

Maybe someone has been able to compare them to eachother and can help out?

The Pioneer interests me because of the MQA support, the FiiO interests me because of the huge storage capacity. For my untrained eyes they look pretty similar on many levels though.
Unfortunatly I there is no place nearby where I can try them next to eachother (I'm a try before you buy guy).

Intended use would be as follows:
- To be used with IEM (still need to find a nice pair though, currently leaning towards the Focal sphear) on my weekly hiking trip (so something sturdy is in order)
- To be used on long commutes/business trip by train or airplane (will be used wireless with the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0)
- To be used as a DAC/amp on my PC until I get a better desktop dac/amp (headphones for home use are the Audeze EL-8 open for music & competitive gaming and the Audioquest Nighthawk for movies and singleplayer games) PC mobo is the Asus Formula VIII which uses the Sabre ES9023P DAC which does ok, but you do hear a hiss from interference when you max out the volume.

Other suggestions besides these two are also welcome taking a max budget of €600 into account and it has to be readily available in Europe.
(if you plan on talking me into a Chord Mojo or similar portable dac/amp to use with my phone... don't bother. While I understand these can be used as desktop setups, I already have my eyes on a Mytek Brooklin which I'll most likely get somewhere in May or June.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 7
It's good to know a fellow malt mate That's also into audio and gaming :wink:

I'm also torn between these 2 options and can't try them.

May I suggest an iem, look for Ocharaku flat 4 series

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi!

I have just sold my DP-X1, which is almost identical to the pioneer, and purchased the Fiio X5iii.

Both players have advantages and disadvantages, but so far I don`t regret my decision for the Fiio. Some good aspects of the DP-X1 I am missing though...well nothing is perfect. 

- Fiio sounds warmer and more engaging and energetic, while having a good sound stage, too. DP-X1 and Pioneer sound a little cleaner and also very wide, but the same time colder and less emotional. Noticably less bass with the Onkyo / Pioneer. Well in the end everything depends on your personal preference.

- Form factor is a lot better with the Fiio because it is smaller and button placement is great. DP-X1 looks more aesthetic (love the design), but is also too big for my taste and difficult to use with one hand, put in your pocket etc.

- Speed and firmware is definitely better with the Onkyo/Pioneer! Basically it works as fast as a modern smart phone, while the Fiio is a lot slower and does not feel snappy at all in comparison. At least so far (might change a bit through updates, but I don`t expect wonders). Some third party app`s functions are disabled that are enabled on the pioneer (Spotify EQ, for example). I also prefer the Onkyo Player App to the Fiio one, it looks a lot cleaner and nicer - functionality is similar though. 

- Battery life definitely is a lot better with the Fiio, I`d say it is literally hours ahead. 

- Screen is a lot better with the Onkyo - again, smart phone like experience. The Fiio screen is difficult to read from the side...

Again: It`s personal preference - but in the end for me the Fiio has more good aspects, especially in terms of its function as a music player....
If you work a lot with third party apps and/or prefer a cleaner and dryer sound signature, the Pioneer might be yours....

Hope that helps!

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 7
- Speed and firmware is definitely better with the Onkyo/Pioneer! Basically it works as fast as a modern smart phone, while the Fiio is a lot slower and does not feel snappy at all in comparison. At least so far (might change a bit through updates, but I don`t expect wonders). Some third party app`s functions are disabled that are enabled on the pioneer (Spotify EQ, for example). I also prefer the Onkyo Player App to the Fiio one, it looks a lot cleaner and nicer - functionality is similar though. 

How much slower is the fiio? It sounds as if the device is really clunky and stutters while functioning. That alone makes me wanna go with the pioneer :/

Which volume knob is better??

What made you change?

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 7
Bah, things are getting a bit more complicated now...

I got suckered into buying a Aune X1s for my desktop (got a really good deal €160 used from 11/2016).
So the DAP being able to double as dac/amp passtrough isn't necessary anymore, which means I may be able to go cheaper which means more choices, which means more research, which means being completely unable to decide...

Suddenly the X1 3rd gen seems an option, or maybe a portable dac/amp after all? The Oppo looks so slick and seems to get positive reviews.

Seriously, ******* first world problems...

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 7
- To be used as a DAC/amp on my PC until I get a better desktop dac/amp (headphones for home use are the Audeze EL-8 open for music & competitive gaming and the Audioquest Nighthawk for movies and singleplayer games) PC mobo is the Asus Formula VIII which uses the Sabre ES9023P DAC which does ok, but you do hear a hiss from interference when you max out the volume

One bit to consider. The Fiio DAP is easier to use as part of a desktop system - either as a DAC or more importantly a player with a separate amp if your headphone needs that much more clean power - due to the DK1 dock as well as the dock on the K5 amp. X7 in the photos but it works with all X1 and newer Fiio DAPs.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 7
How much slower is the fiio? It sounds as if the device is really clunky and stutters while functioning. That alone makes me wanna go with the pioneer :/

Which volume knob is better??

What made you change?

Well, it`s not that you cannot use the Fiio. Don`t worry! It`s just you won`t have a such a fluent experience as with a modern smart phone - at least that is how it feels to me. If you open an app or tap on a button, for example, often you will have a little lag. But that is still really alright and totally usable!
What I  find annoying, though, is the slower Wifi (streaming downloads are slow!) and several software bugs - for example you cannot use the EQ in Spotify, the SD card sometimes gets kicked out etc. But let`s hope that will be fixed soon.
So in general the Onkyo/Pioneer software implementation feels a lot more mature and speedier. Again: you can use it and it reacts basically like a modern smart phone - which is a great in my opinion and an overall really nice experience for a DAP. The Fiio feels more like "on the way" - maybe like using an old iPhone 3g in our days. :wink: 

Volume knob: I think I really like both, they both look great and work fine! 

Why did I change my player? Two reasons:

1. Sound signature! As written before, I really prefer the Fiio one, after listening to it! Onkyo sounds a bit boring and cold for my taste. Though it is really clear. But that is just my taste I guess. You know there are a lot of people in this forum who love their linear reference gear. They might prefer the Onkyo. I am not one of them. I like the punchy and energetic Fiio signature (more bass and warmer) definitely better, maybe especially because the IEMs I use with it (UM Macbeth and Senn IE800) are both on the bright side. So the DAP kinda balances out my phones. With the Onkyo I found they sometimes sounded too bright and sharp. But it could be different with other (maybe warmer) IEMs that might fit better to the Onkyo. I really believe in pairing, more than anything else....sound is all so relative. 

2. Form factor! The Onkyo/Pioneer is a bit too big for my taste! I want something that I can easily slight in and out of my pocket and use with one hand. The Fiio is perfect in this regards and I am quite happy about it. Might not be so important for others (the ones with the 6 inch screen phones :wink:) - but for me it is!

Actually I like the Fiio better with every day! But I still think both are great players (and both have their downsides...hehe). So you cannot go wrong with either I think - just a question of taste and preferences! :) 

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back