choosing headphones
Jul 15, 2005 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tola555

100+ Head-Fier
I have found that review http://www.dansdata.com/2senns.htm and there its said that HD 270 are bad
confused.gif
I don't know what to get: some better senns than 270 or these http://www.dansdata.com/dt880.htm closed one. What about closed phones? Soundstage is not as good as with open back?
can I replace ear pads on senns? I have now 15$ phones theyr ok but pads are broken after few years.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 8
In general closed phones don't sound as good as open ones. The trade-off is that with open phones sound can leak in and out. So if you're listening in noisy environments or where the sound coming out of your headphones might disturb other people then go closed. If not, go open and get the best sound quality possible.

After you decide on closed or open come up with an approximate budget for your purchase and then do a few searches or post a new question. People can be much more helpful once they know these things.

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 8
If your budget and listening environment allows, then by all means, go with speakers.

Most folks here listen to heaphones because they're practical. You get a good setup without spending a ton of money and they don't disturb your boss, wife, kids, neighbors, etc.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 8
but what phones you recommend? I need closed or not very open phones. pads should be changeable or cleanable. I sometimes do some "fancywork" in garden/garage and they might get dirty. If pads are changeable then cleanable is not necessary(these Beyerdynamic DT 880 have pads that get easily dirty and Im concerned about that).
About music: I don't listen hevi rock,I listen more 80's, smoothjazz, 90's eurodance. Some lovesongs
biggrin.gif
and more, most is smooth music. I don't listen loud and I like more natural music(definitely less coloration in mid frequencies). Everything should sound as it's should, maybe some more low frequency dynamic bass below 40Hz. And budget is 250$, more if phones really made for me
smily_headphones1.gif

and I play games too, soundstage should be correct I think that helps

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Ooh, it seems to me what you need is a pair of AKG k271S's! They're closed, they have a beautiful, natural midrange, and they have lovely replaceable pleather pads (I guess you could clean them too .. haven't tried that). They're also good-lookin' and robust, so I wouldn't worry about them getting dirty. Retail price is $200 (even that is within your budget), but you can get them for around $150.

Some people say their bass is a little weak and I agreed when I first got them, but it really opens up over time (I used to give them an EQ bass boost, but after having them for about a month I turned it off and it sounded the same!) However, if you think you want a little more bass than the average Joe, you could go with the AKG k240, the 271's "semi-closed" (less isolation than the 271) and semi-priced cousin. It supposedly has quite a bit of bass (though not as tight and defined as the 271), but other than that they are said to be quite similar (I've never heard them).

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Oh yeah, as for the remaining allotted funds, either save up for a good amp (i.e. Gilmore Lite @ $350), or spend $50 of it and get a small amp (i.e. Go-Vibe, PocketAmp, or CMoy).

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tola555
what about ohms? more is better? I have no problem with powering.
And what about K 501? they give more low bass than 271 studio?

The general consensus is that the K501 has less bass than most headphones (I've never heard one of those, either), so I think the 271 would have more. As for impedance, someone else will have to fill you in on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back