Choosing headphones between $400 to $600(usd)? ATH M50, Beats Studio by Dre studio, Sennheiser HD 650
Jul 2, 2011 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Soldierducky

Head-Fier
Hello, I am very new to this place, i am pretty sure there must be a same thread some where here, but i decided that i need an answer because, i coundnt find the ans i want here.
First I cant seem to choose between these headhphones, they seem so good a beutiful. I like the M50 because its good and its quite economical, I like the beats a lot for their looks, name and and bass. I like the HD 650 due to the fact that it is the most powerful among the few. 
First, i am a little of a bass head. I want bass to punch onto my face, powerful clean and tight. Which headphones do that?
Secondly, I really want the mids to be not muffled by the bass also, i listen to normal pop songs by lady gaga taylor swift bruno mars, some classcial music etc etc
thirdly, I also what them to be portable(if not light) some way or another because i will be bringing them around a lot.
Fourth, Design(I am going to my cousin's wedding soon)
5th, soundstage, which one seems to have the most surround or the feel of "distance'when listening

So, base on what i wrote, can anyone please recommend me one.(some kind hearted soul save my money if possible haha)
Please no Denon, its not that i dont like, I  just dont want it for no particular reason. My biggest struggle is the m50 vs beats. The HD 650 is chosen because the price is so near the beats, and its one of the best sennheiser

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 8
Wow you seriously shouldve read at least one sentence from the threads before you started this one. It is impossible to have read anything on headfi and still ask to compare beats to Hd650s. It looks like you are trying to get convinced not to buy beats, Im not gonna try go ahead and buy them but try to get refurbished they can go for half price. And where are you getting prices you can get 3 pairs of M50 for $400?

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 8
I will tell you what I know between the Beats Studio and the M50's.  Not sure about the Sennheiser's.  

With the Beats studio, the bass is very present.  They do, at high volume, feel like a bass speaker attached to your head.  But the bass is flabby and not very defined.  Secondly, they leak sound like crazy.  What you're hearing, everyone around you can hear.  I actually had a pair of Studio headphones, and I really liked the bass performance, but I tired of it quickly.  Took me about a week, and I returned them, and purchased a pair of M50's.  The M50's don't have the same bass presence of the Beats, but they do have great bass.  It's not "punch you in the face" bass, but it does sound really good.  The overall sound of the M50s is clearer and more detailed too.  They just sound better.  I still have my M50s, and it's been a year.  The Beats lasted a week.  Thats' what I can tell you.

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Just get the M50. The HD650 is only good if you have a dedicated headphone amplifier and DAC. Since you're new, I doubt you have any of these and buying them would just cost more money. Plus, they are  OPEN headphones, meaning it will not do well outdoors.

The M50 is a greater starter headphone. I listen to your kind of music too and they were GREAT for that. It has excellent bass and clarity. In fact, the M50s are considered a basshead headphone. It beats the Beats Studio in every category(bass quality, quantity, durability, sound, etc).

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks a lot guys. M50 it is. Now I am considering IEM too e.g. IE8 vs TF10 (i posted this too, cant seem to choose) Most likely i will get the m50. If I really buy the IEM(expensive>.<) i will most probably get a razer orca for a headphone. But I would definitely remember the M50 if I really need it.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 8
You would probably like the IE8s more due to it having more bass. If you were to buy the IEMs, then don't even BOTHER getting the Razer headset. With the money you use on that Orca, you could buy a much better pair of headphones. Don't fall into the "gaming/popular" brand name stuff. They're usually not that great.

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys. M50 it is. Now I am considering IEM too e.g. IE8 vs TF10 (i posted this too, cant seem to choose) Most likely i will get the m50. If I really buy the IEM(expensive>.<) i will most probably get a razer orca for a headphone. But I would definitely remember the M50 if I really need it.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 8
agree.. don't waste your money on the orca, just get the M50 for music or ad700. the ad700 works great for gaming as it has a good soundstage.

Quote:
You would probably like the IE8s more due to it having more bass. If you were to buy the IEMs, then don't even BOTHER getting the Razer headset. With the money you use on that Orca, you could buy a much better pair of headphones. Don't fall into the "gaming/popular" brand name stuff. They're usually not that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back