Choosing headphones and amp/dac
Aug 29, 2013 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tReam90

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

Im choosing a closed headphones with good style that dont leak too much, beacause im gonna use them at work and home. i own steelseries siberia v2 and want to get much better clear sound, so im thinking about getting headphones and some amp/dac combo or amp and dac for my iphone 4.. or maybe i should buy a good portable player instead? i can listen from my pioneer vsx527 while at home..

after some research im looking at mdr 1r, new beats studio, momentum, maybe 770pro, v moda m100, denon d2000 if i can get them
i want slylish and not reaaly big headphones..i will listen hp before buying of course

im listening to nu metal/alt rock/metal (metallica/korn/bizkit/POD/deftones/ill nino etc) +queen.. smth like electro/dub.. + daft punk/depeche mode.. sometimes rap :)
i like good accurate bass, but dont want to miss mids and highs, so im not sure if im basshead :D 

i want some advice on headphone options and what source do i need..the budget on hp is around 300$, and 100-250$ on amp/dac or player..maybe a little more
thanks in advance :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 4
Take a look at the Momentum on-ear. It seems like it would tick a lot of boxes for you. You should be able to drive those with your iPhone. The next stage would be to add an amp like th e Fiio E11. If you want a portable DAC for your iPhone, that's where it gets expensive, and I think the gains are relatively marginal, but there are a few good options like the HP-P1. It sounds like you just need to try out some headphones.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 4
For musics you listed, Sennheiser Amperior seems like a good choice. They have the treble extension that Momentum lacks, which is vital for rock/metal genres and daftpunk. Overall, Amperiors have a V shape sound sig with slightly boosted bass and treble. You do lose a little mids, but it's present, unlike Momentum's treble. Anyways, if you are looking for more balance than Amperior, my recommendation goes to DT1350. It's one of the best performers I've ever heard. I have a review on them. It's on the link on my signature.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Sennheiser Momentum or V-MODA M-100 + FiiO X3 or iBasso DX50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back