Choosing DJ Headphones
Apr 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

csanantonio

New Head-Fier
Before anything, I would just like to say that I have already researched and used the search engine for this site.

I have read that the V700djs are quite fragile and are susceptible to cracking at the joints, but it seems that people who say this are DJ's, and they probably use them quite heavily, twisting and turning them to monitor their mixes. But I am just a casual listener, and am very happy from the sound and build quality of the v500's. I feel like I can make those last for atleast 2 years. My question is, under careful usage (that is, not using the joints all that much, not folding it too often; just basically putting them on and taking them off), will they last longer, or are they just that fragile, and will crack no matter how careful I am. Has anyone had success keeping their 700's intact for over a year?

Same question also goes for the Pioneer HDJ1000's and Technics DH1200's. I am stuck on these three models, and are just wondering about the durability issue's of all of them. I am somewhat leaning towards the Technics. I may also wait for the new DJ headphones Creative is coming out with, judging from the succes they had with their aurvana in ear phones, these shouldn't be too bad.

Keep in mind, I am somewhat fixed on these models, so please try to suggest within these three, even though most of you only think that they are mediocore cans. Thank you very much in advance.

-Christian

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 14
this is a wrong place to ask for DJ headphone advice because we all know how "good" they are

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 14
I would recommend the DJ1200's, bomb proof, high volume levels, and the best swivel in the business. I did not like the pioneers, very muddy and felt fragile - I got the impression they wouldn't last.

You can still get the DJ1200's at audiocubes.

I have not heard the DH1200, yet despite the fact that they use a larger driver than the DJ1200, handle louder volumes, and have a spec'd wider range, they consistently sell for about $10-15 cheaper. Also, I don't like the look of the swivel on the DH1200, looks cheap. Once you've used the lockable metal swivel mechanism on the DJ1200, you won't look back.

Plus they make decent portable phones, fairly easy to drive - decent but not amazing sound (but we're talking DJ cans here).

good luck

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 14
Those Sony gimbal joints tend to break with regular use. Nearly every pair of MDRV700 I've seen are held together with tape or twist ties, and the heads they are on don't look like DJs' to me....

Might also consider Senn's offerings. HD25Sp or 25-1. Supposedly nigh indestructible, though not swivelly.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might also consider Senn's offerings. HD25Sp or 25-1. Supposedly nigh indestructible, though not swivelly.

The left cup does indeed swivel on my HD25-1. I would imagine that it is the most widely-regarded DJ headphone on the market (MSRP around $170).

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 14
The sound on those Pioneers is so-so, the guy across the hall from me has a pair for home listening and the SQ is okay (not worth the price though, imo), but they are almost as uncomfortable as the K81DJ. I'd go for the Technics pair, they're what Armin uses now, I think. I could be wrong but he does use some kind of Technics cans now.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've got the sony 7506s, which paul van dyk uses.

i believe the consumer version of these cans are the v600s

they are pretty good at their price point

That would be the Sony MDR-V6. V600 is something else. Something worse.
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 14
i had the sonys but switched to the pioneer's. i have to say i like them more in every respect - they are tougher and sound better. i used them to dj electronic breakbeat music, and some trip hop. the pioneer's did it for me, sure they are bass-heavy but the sony's distorted to me while the pioneers did not.

what kind of music do you dj?

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've got the sony 7506s, which paul van dyk uses.

i believe the consumer version of these cans are the v600s

they are pretty good at their price point

I love my V6s but the lack of swiveling cups makes me think they wouldn't be as good as some others for DJing. It's really a shame they don't make a 7506DJ or something like that, with swivel cups, because it has every other quality of a good set of DJ cans. Great sound, comfortable for long sets, and built like a tank.

Though if swiveling cups aren't important to you, I second this nomination
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Upon Looking around further, i noticed an Audio Technica pair, the pro700's, how are the durability on those. Also, in case you guys didn't quite get the point of my post, I wanted to find out which of these headphones were the more durable, the sony's, pioneers, technics or the AT pairs. Thank you all for the responses so far.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 14
my pioneers have handled the wear and tear of hardcore abuse perfectly. the sonys wore down big time and got creaky, and the ear pad stuff withered away.

not with the pioneers, nothing has worn down at all on them.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 14
I own the Audio Technica PRO700's - they do some things right, but I do NOT recommend them. They look hot, the fold up nice, and they look hot.

They sound amazing for techno, but even listening to house you'll start to hear whats missing, the upper mids are honky and painful - even when there's no audio playing! The enclosure will actually make external sounds in that upper-mid range honk and their way through the not very isolated shell. Oh, and they're quite heavy and not especially comfortable. The ear cups are too small to be fully circumaural and your earlobes will be pinched while a lot of your ear will be directly against the driver. They also aren't amazingly sturdy, I've had to preemptively fill a number of pressure cracks on the headband with super glue. Listen to anything other than sterile techno or electro and you won't be impressed.

For full on sturdiness, I again, vote for the DJ1200's. I would consider the sony 7506/V6 in the same toughness category, and while I haven't heard them, the Senn HD25-1's are supposed to be pretty indestructible.

If your not spinning, or don't need the swivel mechanism - I would still recommend the DJ12000's - I wish I'd re-bought them instead of the PRO700's. I find the DJ1200's quite similar to the Sony 7506, the sony's being circumaural, and probably a bit more comfortable. My limited experience with the pioneers leads me to suggest you steer clear of them, and the Senn's look great but are expensive.

Bang for the buck, probably the 7506/V6 - but if you spring for the DJ1200, I'm sure you'll find a lot to love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back