Choosing/buying custom IEMs in Europe
Feb 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

frostburg

New Head-Fier
I'm interesting in buying a pair of custom IEMs; models like the UM Miracles or the JH13s seemed interesting, but living in the EU I can expect massive import duties on those on top of the somewhat high base price, so I started reading about the european manufacturers and need some advice.
I listen mainly to classical, dark ambient, noise, glitch, minimal electronic music, etc.
Isolation is important, but besides specialized "live" models every custom iem seems to provide adequate isolation. I'm not decided on the "silicone or acrylic" question. I'd prefer something that can be driven with a portable player without having to use an amplifier.
Models that I looked at are the ACS T1 and SE 3-way reference for silicone IEMs, the EarSonics EM4 or EM6 and the Frogbeats C4 for acrylic ones.
Any suggestion? Am I overlooking something? Should I just buy JH13s and hope for the best? Thanks.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 7
I really think you should reconsider getting an amp for your expensive CIEMs. All of the models you mentioned can be driven without an amplifier from a portable player, but adding an amp really adds to the sonic experience.

Getting back on topic, I do think you mentioned all of the European CIEM companies.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I really think you should reconsider getting an amp for your expensive CIEMs. All of the models you mentioned can be driven without an amplifier from a portable player, but adding an amp really adds to the sonic experience.

I don't have anything against amps when listening at home, but on mass transit it's somewhat problematic (more bulk and weight in my bag, an additional set of batteries to keep charged, etc.); any suggestion for amplifier models?

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 7
It's usually worth it. I've used both the JH16 and Heir 8.A straight out of an iPhone 4 and adding a amplifier really did wonders. But then again, an iPhone 4 isn't a great player to begin with.

Check out the portable amp forum if you're looking to pick up one. Hard to suggest anything without knowing what you're looking for in an amp or what you're going to pair it with.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I've seen the website; they're perennially out of stock, but some of the future models look interesting. Still, I'd prefer something more "tested", ideally.

Apparantly things are now in place for march/april time to start picking up.  It's also worth emailing them to see what can be done now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back