Choosing between Senn HD448, Sony XB500, ZX500, & MDR-V6-any advice or recommendations?
Jan 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

roark37

Head-Fier
Hi, I am mainly considering those 4 headphones as what to get next, the Senn HD448 and the 3 Sony's and wanted some recommendations and advice.  This is strictly for home listening either directly from DAP or using the headphone of my Onkyo receiver.  I listen to a wide variety of music but mainly vocalists like Bocelli, Groban, some instrumentals, and some classic rock like Boston, AC/DC and other pop music but no rap or electronic music.  Comfort is probably my main concern(I wear glasses) along with sound quality.  I was planning to get the MDR-V6 but it seems out of stock most places and am not sure if more are coming.  I was not sure if all the other choices were inferior to the V6 though anyway.  I initially did not have XB500 on my list as I would not say I am really a heavy bass type but I have read several posts recently where people said the sound quality of XB500 was great especially with just a little eq.  I would like to stay in the roughly 50-70 range that these seem to be in.  Another I may get is the Grado SR60i and though slightly more expensive do you think the sound quality of that is much better than all of these?  Lastly I just saw the Sony MDR-V600 which is on sale for $70 and seems available.  Is that very similar to the V6 and should I definitely consider that as well.  If there are any others in this general price range that you think would be better than these and especially that have great comfort I would like to know those as well.  Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 10
You will almost certainly be unsatisfied with the XB500, or anything else in that series.  A more midrange centric headphone will probably work out better for you if you are aiming towards great vocalists.  

Grados are love 'em or hate 'em, but for your genres you might actually quite like them.  Just be aware that you can't use Grados in public at all, because they leak like... well, a lot.  Depending on your glasses, that may also be a major issue with the Grados.

The studio-oriented Sony headphones are often a good deal for the price, and might end up being a solid choice.  

If you're going to be driving them from any kind of amp, the Fostex T50RP are also close to that price range, and have a better midrange than any of the above.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 10
The V6's are always a solid option. Check Grado's website for any dealers by you and see if you can listen to a pair. With Grado, you'll either think that they're the best thing to happen to your music or you won't like them at all. I had a brief experience with the HD448 once. They weren't too bad from what I remember and would be a good choice if you can get them cheaply, though I would pick the V6 and SR60i over them.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 10
+1 for the V6s

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
The V6's are always a solid option. Check Grado's website for any dealers by you and see if you can listen to a pair. With Grado, you'll either think that they're the best thing to happen to your music or you won't like them at all. I had a brief experience with the HD448 once. They weren't too bad from what I remember and would be a good choice if you can get them cheaply, though I would pick the V6 and SR60i over them.

Quote:
+1 for the V6s

Thanks for the replies.  Would you consider the V6 to be very comfortable as that is super important to me?  And do you know if they have stopped making them?  As they seem to be out at both newegg & Amazon.  I've seen that before with newegg but then they have always got more but it surprises me a little with Amazon.  Do you know anything about the Sony V600 and if so is it quite similar to V6?

I can get the HD448 for about $60 at newegg, is that considered a good price on those?

Thanks again.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:

Thanks for the replies.  Would you consider the V6 to be very comfortable as that is super important to me?  And do you know if they have stopped making them?  As they seem to be out at both newegg & Amazon.  I've seen that before with newegg but then they have always got more but it surprises me a little with Amazon.  Do you know anything about the Sony V600 and if so is it quite similar to V6?

I can get the HD448 for about $60 at newegg, is that considered a good price on those?

Thanks again.

Go for MDR 7506. V6=7506, absolutely identical, only difference is what V6 have "DIGITAL" badge, when 7506 have "PROFESSIONAL". Buy from an authorized dealers only. Don't buy ebay cheap ones, its chinese clones with different drivers, which means much worse sound. You've been warned :)

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:

Thanks again.

I'm an advocate for the HD448.  It is one of those phones that sounds just fine out of a DAP but can utilize some help from an amplifier should you choose to add one later.  It has an extremely laid back signature (I can't make them harsh no matter how hard I try) and the mids are wonderful for the price.  They are not for analytical purposes at all, but if you just like to kick back and listen to music (maybe while doing other things) I think you won't find a better headphone for 60 dollars.  I paid 100 for mine and I think they are worth more (to me anyways).

For detailed impressions you can click on the link in my signature.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 10
The zx500 is not for you. Not comfortable at all. Sounds great though. HAVE!

I would recommend:
Philips stretch headphone white $40.                                 have and really comfortable. Sound quality: more bass then mids and highs. dark and smooth
Philips shl5800/28 headphone $40                                     dont have but has memory foam on earpads
Phiaton PS 320 dual driver luxury headphone $80               dont have
KRK KNS6400 Studio Headphones  $80                                         dont have
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S Stereo Headphones $30                      dont have

Most of them are ones I have looked at to buy for myself with the regards of comfort and sound quality. 
Hope it helps.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 10
+1 for V6..
I own them and love them. I also wear glasses but when do they not get in your way when you wear full size cans..
The only thing is they are very neutral.. It's not a bass heavy headphone.. but I'm a bass head but I appreciate the cans
depending on the genre of music I listen to on them.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
 And do you know if they have stopped making them?  As they seem to be out at both newegg & Amazon.  I've seen that before with newegg but then they have always got more but it surprises me a little with Amazon.  Do you know anything about the Sony V600 and if so is it quite similar to V6?

V6's are available here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358337-REG/Sony_MDRV6_MDR_V6_Closed_Back.html for $85.

I've read that V600's are inferior to V6's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back