Choosing Between Portable Closed Cans - Choices Inside
Sep 7, 2009 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jjsoviet

1000+ Head-Fier
Finally, my budget is gets a facelift as my birthday (Sept. 9) draws near. I now have a maximum of 4000 Philippine pesos, or roughly 80 dollars (lol). Many recommend me PX100's or Porta Pro's which only cost about 50-60 dollars in authorized retailers, but recently I don't feel using open cans anymore.

The traffic here is so horrible that I have to raise the volume to high levels to hear anything, which could also disturb others. IEM's however hurt my ears a bit and I have a reputation of destroying the cables and tips
frown.gif
So, I want closed cans and this time I have found these plausible candidates:

Denon AH-P372
AKG K518 DJ
Sennheiser HD 218
Sennheiser HD 228
Audio Technica ATH-ES7
Audio Technica ATH-ES3
Audio Technica ATH-WM5
Audio Technica ATH-M20/M30

I listen primarily to instrumental music, 60's to 80's pop, some contemporary pop, classic and slow rock, and recently smooth jazz (just love the saxophone). I also like video game music like Halo, Command and Conquer series, Gears of War, and Call of Duty series.

So, please give me good suggestions from these likely choices (sorry if you don't see a lot other good products since the inventory just sucks)
triportsad.gif
. I do hope you have heard any of these and give useful opinions. I'll try to look for more cans in the future.

However, if there are no restrictions, what other cans could you have recommended me, and why?

Thanks!

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 30
Don't own either but gave both a trial last week. Liked the ES7 more, cleaner bass, less boomy, nicer highs as far as I can recall.

Price wise, over here, the 228 is more more in line with the ATH-ES55 (which I ended up getting).

ES7 is definitely better, if not for the price, I would have got it instead of the ES55 ... just hope I don't regret it too much down the road.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 30
I can comment on the AKG and the Senns.

The 518 and the 228 are great cans for portable use, the 518 more so due to its ability to fold down to a smaller size. The long cable on the 518 may pose a problem, but that can be easily fixed. The 228s arms don't fold like its bretheren the px100/200. The AKG isolates better than the 228. You have to fiddle with the on ear position of the 228 before you get its full bass potential; no problem with the 518. Both don't leak sound. The 518 has the vise grip of death; within thirty minutes you will be forced to take them off due to significant pressure to the outer ear (there is a simple mod to fix that elsewhere but it reduces bass pressence). The 228 just ever so lightly rests on the ears. But that also means it falls off easily. There is a mod to make it even more comfortable and clearer. Both have plenty of bass and impact, its just that you can feel/hear it easier with the 518, but it can get tiring after awhile. Vocals are clear and are not overwhelmed by the bass, especially on the 228. The 518 is just ever so slightly recessed in that area. Live concerts are amazing on the 228.

I leave the 228 in the office. I bring the 518 when I need to go around and don't feel like fiddlig with the IE8 in my ears on that particular day. The AKG 518dj, instant and portable sound gratification with the pain.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 30
IMO ES7 would be better than K518. K518 has got a lot of bass, which is usually too much for most of players. You can try modding it by changing the foams inside, but still, I wouldn't recommend them. The ES7 on the other hand, gives you a warm ATH feel, but I'd say it's still much more pleasant. Besides it, the K518 has got 3m cable, it isn't so comfortable to use it as portable phones.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay, thanks. You sure know your stuff despite being a newcomer here. Or maybe you're already knowledgeable before joining the forums?

Knowledgeable in the sense that I own both cans and can give my views on them as an owner, being familiar with their quirks. Nothing much to it. Just giving back to the forum.

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 30
Hmm... anyone haven't tried the Denon AH-P372? I'm thinking between the HD 228, ES7, and K518 right now. Thanks for the help.

By the way, which of the cans I mentioned are very good in classical and jazz music?

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 30
I have tried the AKG HP and I own the ES7.

The AKG had a boomy bass that seemed muddy to me and I did not like it's treble (way to rolled off for me).

The ES7 has great bass, an upfront midrange and very nice treble. It also manages to have a nice sound stage for a closed phone.

Comfort wise they both hurt my ears out of the box due to my glasses. I bought the ES7 hoping I could modify thema bit to relieve the ear pain and waqs successful by following the bending mods listed over on the full size headphone forum for the ES7. I have since bought some Senn HD25 velour covers and now really enjoy my ES7.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 30
Thanks. If ever the HD25-II is available in my country, which is better in mids/highs? The HD25 or the ES7? Most of my music are emphasized in vocals and instrumentals. Or is the HD25 out of my price range ($80)?

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 30
The inherent flaws of the 518's are easily fixable....stretch the headband by putting the cans on a stack of books for at least a week, burn them in and get rid of the foam. The cable can easily be chopped, or even recabled.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The inherent flaws of the 518's are easily fixable....stretch the headband by putting the cans on a stack of books for at least a week, burn them in and get rid of the foam. The cable can easily be chopped, or even recabled.

How does the AKG K518 sound like? Is it warm, relaxed, or up-front and punchy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back