Choosing between headphones.
Aug 26, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #16 of 20
Any headphone with a good soundstage, AD700, HD 555 etc.. will do a good job with movies. You don't need 2.1/5.1/7.1 headphones, plus many soundcards have Dolby Headphone to simulate surround sound just as good as that type can. I have been very happy with the directional drivers on the HD 5xx series for movies, games, and TV shows. Most of those gaming headsets are all hype, they're not about the sound quality.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by avian304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if I only have a cheapo 60 dollar Creative Sound Blaster x-fi?
I can't seem to find any option for it to do dolby.

I used to use an Audigy SE, upgraded to a Xonar DX, then an Essence STX. I don't think there's any need to spend a lot on headphones unless your source is good enough to do them some justice. With a low-end X-Fi card, you won't have Dolby Headphone, so the only way to get surround would be with a USB headset like you already have. The HD 555 might sound ok with your setup, but they generally sound pretty boring out of low-end sources. However, if you are willing to upgrade your sound card to a Xonar DX or X-Fi Titanium, I think you will really enjoy gaming and watching movies with the 555's. The soundstage on the 5xx series allow you to hear the direction of gunfire/movement in movies and games, I have often been surprised at hearing a gunshot in a movie or game coming from behind my head. The HD 555 and sound card combined should cost around $180.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #19 of 20
X-Fi's have CMSS-3D. Not as good/versatile as Dolby Headphone, but it'll do just fine in games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back