Choosing between headphones.
Aug 26, 2009 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

avian304

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've just bought the Tritton ax51 pro 5.1 gaming headphones, but they aren't very comfortable on my head, and the sound isn't very good. However when watching movies or playing games they do create that nice 5.1 effect.

However, I'm considering trading them in for something else, like the Razer Carcharias, which is a 2.1 gaming headphone.

What do you people think, should I get the Razers instead or stick with my Tritton headphones.

I tried reading other threads but I must admit I was a little intimidated by the walls of text in the buyers guide thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 20
I think you should consider getting some real headphones. The ATH-AD700, for example, is arguably one of the best pair of headphones you can get for gaming.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 20
^ Other than the relative lack of bass that is. I do recommend looking at better headphones like the AD700, though it is important to have an idea of their individual characteristics. You should start by doing two things: read the stickied newbies guide (its there to help, even if it appears daunting), and use the search function (try "gaming") and check out what others in your situation have been recommended. You could also look up the Audio Technica AD700 and Sennheiser HD555 as they are headphones that are commonly suggested to people looking for gaming headphones. Oh, and welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 20
Yup, I was looking at the typical Tritton/Turtle Beach/Astro offerings until I was directed to this site and ended up with the AD700s.

IN MY OPINION, too much bass is a killer for gaming. A vehicle blowing up or an RPG going off near by can muffle out important sounds enough as it is. Add booming bass to that and it can kill your surrounding sounds. And I do not feel the AD700s are lacking in bass at all for a gaming application. Movies? Maybe. But not gaming. Again, just my opinion.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 20
The AD700's don't have a built in mic though, plus its a little bass light and I'm sort of a bass head. Are the AD700's THAT awesome? My old headphones were a pair of 9 year old sonys that were super comfortable.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 20
Ok, so I read the newbie guide and I think I should provide more information.

I'm buying it mainly for gaming and movie watching as for music listening I usually use my Bose companions.

I'm really into the whole 5.1 surround for headphones as when i listened to a movie in 5.1 it sounded really really big. But then again i've never really had good 5.1 headphones so i can't tell if this is good or bad.

I read on the forums that 5.1 are basically a joke, but they seemed to sound really good to me when i watch a movie. Or is it that if I buy these 700's it would sound better than my cruddy 5.1s?

EDIT: Oh, and i recently bought a a sound card, the creative sound blaster x-fi. maybe thats why my 5.1s sounds nice to me.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 20
Any stereo headphone is capable of 5.1 audio. All you need is a sound card that can generate simulated 5.1 (or mixamp for console gamers). The AD700's soundstage will also helps in pinpointing sounds happening around you. Headphones that advertise themselves using 5.1 technology usually mean they're cramming drivers into them which will really degrade SQ.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaSTaC7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any stereo headphone is capable of 5.1 audio. All you need is a sound card that can generate simulated 5.1 (or mixamp for console gamers). The AD700's soundstage will also helps in pinpointing sounds happening around you. Headphones that advertise themselves using 5.1 technology usually mean they're cramming drivers into them which will really degrade SQ.

Correct. A lot of the criticism comes from headphones using 4 tiny speakers in each ear to simulate the surround sound. Tritton now has a one speaker each setup that uses Dolby surround, which is the preferred method. Astro has been using this from the get go. Im pretty sure Turtle Beach is still on the multiple speaker wagon.

This is a popular mic option Amazon.com: Zalman Microphone Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone Retail: Electronics

And I really don't know why there is so much hate for the bass on the AD700s. Sure, it's not rattling the headphones off my head, but it's tight and clean and clear. At least to me. For ~$70, I think they are fantastic and very multi functional.

You can always get the Astro headphone/mixamp combo and if you don't like the headphones you can sell them separately and keep the mixamp for surround sound duty.

EDIT: I guess that sound card does surround sound so....yeah....I would give the AD700s a try.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by avian304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can i buy the ad700's for 70 bucks? Only on amazon.com?

That's where I found mine for the best price.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by avian304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Razer megalodon and Barracuda are no no's?

They sure do look pretty. But besides that, I really don't know. The Barracuda's use that multiple speaker setup and it looks like the Razers don't, which is good.

But like I said, I don't know because the majority of my research was for Xbox compatible headsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back