Choosing between four inexpensive portable amps
Oct 29, 2006 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

sethsez

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I'm looking to buy my first headphone amp, which will be paired with an iPod Photo. It'll be used primarily with IEMs (and just to cut everyone off at the pass right here, the Tomahawk will most likely not be within my price range
tongue.gif
), so I'd like something that won't blow out my eardrums. And these will not be modded, as I have the technical know-how of a cat.

Anyway, the ones I've been considering are:

Xenos X0HA-REP
Pocket Amp 2 v.2
Little Dot Micro+
Go-Vibe v5

These are all within my price range, so cost isn't a consideration between them at this point. Just to give a feeling for what's important to me and what isn't:

Sound quality - Well, duh. More to the point, details matter more than, say, soundstage (remember, I'm getting these primarily for IEMs, so an amp that specializes in soundstage at the expense of details would go to waste), though I'm not expecting miracles for under $100. Also, and this is probably the most important part, I want something that has a low noise floor. The lower, the better, a black backdrop being ideal, and this can't really be emphasized enough. We all have our quirks with audio, what we'll put up with and what we won't, and this is mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Power - This will be run off batteries pretty much exclusively, so what can I expect for battery life from these? Also, I'm lazy and really like convenience (I could say "my hectic lifestyle dictates that I need my devices streamlined" but that'd be a lie
biggrin.gif
), so being able to charge the batteries while still in the unit without fear of overcharging is a big, big, big bonus. This is where the Go-Vibe loses me a bit... I'll go back on this if it's sufficiently better in other aspects, but it's still a big downside. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding the other units as far as batteries and charging goes?

Customer service - I've no doubt about the service for the PA2V2 and the Go-Vibe. What can be expected regarding the other two? This isn't a massive issue (I'd rather have a good product with bad service than a bad product with good service), but it's always nice to know.

Gain - IEMs. Which of these will be best suited for 'em in a manner that won't make them unbearably loud? A variable gain switch is nice if I ever decide to get some demanding phones in the future, but all things being equal I want what's best for IEMs.

So now that I've sufficiently ruled out all of them in one way or another (
tongue.gif
), I might as well say that I'm not expecting miracles for the price range and that I'm willing to bend on most of these if need be. I just want to know which of the four amps I listed comes closest to approximating what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for reading through all this.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 36
The customer service of Xenos is, by far, the best I've experienced. I didn't have a good experience with Norm's customer service.

The amp with the lowest noise floor would be, rather likely, the Go-Vibe v5; either on par or second best, the 0HA-REP. The LDM+ needs to be had in low gain to have it low enough for IEMs I reckon (no IEMs over here).

As far as sound quality, the Xenos is smooth yet linear, extended and very clear -- I guess it should pair beautifully with IEMs (though I've never heard any true IEM).

The Go-Vibe v5 powered @ 9V I honestly didn't like too much. It seemed neither very detailed nor very pleasant to listen to. Perhaps it's just a idiosyncrasy of mine (or of my Senns), perhaps not.

I do not recommend the PA2V2.

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sethsez
Okay, I'm looking to buy my first headphone amp, which will be paired with an iPod Photo. It'll be used primarily with IEMs (and just to cut everyone off at the pass right here, the Tomahawk will most likely not be within my price range
tongue.gif
), so I'd like something that won't blow out my eardrums. And these will not be modded, as I have the technical know-how of a cat.

Anyway, the ones I've been considering are:

Xenos X0HA-REP
Pocket Amp 2 v.2
Little Dot Micro+
Go-Vibe v5

These are all within my price range, so cost isn't a consideration between them at this point. Just to give a feeling for what's important to me and what isn't:

Sound quality - Well, duh. More to the point, details matter more than, say, soundstage (remember, I'm getting these primarily for IEMs, so an amp that specializes in soundstage at the expense of details would go to waste), though I'm not expecting miracles for under $100. Also, and this is probably the most important part, I want something that has a low noise floor. The lower, the better, a black backdrop being ideal, and this can't really be emphasized enough. We all have our quirks with audio, what we'll put up with and what we won't, and this is mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Power - This will be run off batteries pretty much exclusively, so what can I expect for battery life from these? Also, I'm lazy and really like convenience (I could say "my hectic lifestyle dictates that I need my devices streamlined" but that'd be a lie
biggrin.gif
), so being able to charge the batteries while still in the unit without fear of overcharging is a big, big, big bonus. This is where the Go-Vibe loses me a bit... I'll go back on this if it's sufficiently better in other aspects, but it's still a big downside. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding the other units as far as batteries and charging goes?

Customer service - I've no doubt about the service for the PA2V2 and the Go-Vibe. What can be expected regarding the other two? This isn't a massive issue (I'd rather have a good product with bad service than a bad product with good service), but it's always nice to know.

Gain - IEMs. Which of these will be best suited for 'em in a manner that won't make them unbearably loud? A variable gain switch is nice if I ever decide to get some demanding phones in the future, but all things being equal I want what's best for IEMs.

So now that I've sufficiently ruled out all of them in one way or another (
tongue.gif
), I might as well say that I'm not expecting miracles for the price range and that I'm willing to bend on most of these if need be. I just want to know which of the four amps I listed comes closest to approximating what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for reading through all this.
biggrin.gif

You'll get a much clearer picture of the relative performance of your chosen contenders, if you seek advice from people who actually own and use IEMs with the above amps, rather than uninformed speculation from conventional headphone users.

It would also help narrow the focus if you mention the specific IEMs you own.
They do vary considerably in their efficiency and hence gain requirements.

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 36
Well, I'm not really sure who to ask, and being as this is the amp forum it seemed like the right place to make the thread. I do filter out "I haven't heard any of these but the Hornet is great so get that" replies, don't worry.
tongue.gif

And my IEMs are Super.fi 5 Pros, but I'll be bumping 'em up to the UE-5cs soon.

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I didn't have a good experience with Norm's customer service.

Curious comment. You haven't actually requested any service I know of, beyond your initial order which was delivered well within the alotted time if I remember correctly.

What I do remember is a second order which you promptly cancelled and which I cheerfully refunded within 24 hours of your cancellation.

Furthermore, in the interests of my well documented customer service, I hereby offer to refund you the entire cost of your, by now, well hacked up Go-Vibe. Send me an email and I'll give you instructions on how to proceed.

We all know by now how you don't like the Go-Vibe V5 and that's OK. I never expected it to apeal to everyone. However, your constant repetitive negative comments are beginning to smack of a personal vendetta rather than the constructive informed advice the good people hear are expecting.

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger
What I do remember is a second order

And there lies the problem. I don't remember having cancelled it. I remember asking you about buying from you a Pimeta... but the Go-Vibe (even in a perfectly standard configuration) was fine anyway... etc... But I don't want to go through it again. Misunderstanding? Ok, might even be. But you didn't do anything to sort it out... You cheerfully escaped from dealing with your suspect about my good intentions (?!?!?!?!) by simply refunding my payment (without a word of reply) - and thus left me quite disappointed.

In simple words, you didn't exactly behave in a straightforward way, in my eyes. Like if you were acting based on some prejudice about me as a particular customer. Since we don't know each other, that's not the most elegant thing you could do, honestly. I know you have a reputation here you want to defend...

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger
You'll get a much clearer picture of the relative performance of your chosen contenders, if you seek advice from people who actually own and use IEMs with the above amps, rather than uninformed speculation from conventional headphone users.

It would also help narrow the focus if you mention the specific IEMs you own.
They do vary considerably in their efficiency and hence gain requirements.

Worth repeating !

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 36
I own all the amps in your list and listen to them exclusively through IEM's, and in my experience and opinion the Go-Vibe 5 will give you what you are looking for.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 36
aside from Andrea, the vast, vast majority of those who own GoVibes and
have dealt with Norm, have nothing but the highest praise for him and his product. There seems to be something personal going on with Andrea, so I would discount that as an opinion. We love all our GoVibes, especially 5 and feel the same about Norm

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
aside from Andrea, the vast, vast majority of those who own GoVibes and
have dealt with Norm, have nothing but the highest praise for him and his product. There seems to be something personal going on with Andrea, so I would discount that as an opinion. We love all our GoVibes, especially 5 and feel the same about Norm

Couldn't it just be that you fierce Norm fanboys are a tad bit hypocritical? Perhaps that's why you feel so much at home-.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 36
I resent "fanboy" and if you have some sort of vendetta against Norm and his
product and are such a "fanboy" for Xenos, why don't you just put your
personal issues to rest and stop continuing to bash Govibes over and over again.
It has gone way past the redundant stage and is getting just a little ugly. It does not seem to be called for in a forum such as this.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 36
So that's how you see it... I don't know about you - I normally don't act based on anger, but a sense of righteousness, rather.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 36
I really don't want to debate subjective righteousness with you as I know that
English is your second language ( no disrespect intended). To feel that you come from a righteous place about Xenos v Govibe is a bit much wouldn't you
admit? No one is operating out of anger here.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 36
You know... sonic perception is subjective. Opinions are subjective.

But the problems I encountered when dealing with norm (as accounted, if quite hurriedly, above here) were there, tangible & objective. I know it's righteous for me to report it. Sure, I wasn't ripped off or anything - but Norm's behaviour just wasn't up to his high reputation around here, and I felt like telling it. I wouldn't want to digress into a generic moral discussion here, if you please, even if English was my mother tongue.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 36
I owned the PA2V2, and currently own the Go-Vibe 5. Recently I have met a few times with Vorlon1 and he has a PA2V2 which I listened to again as well as a Xenos OHAP-REP. IMO I would go with the Go-Vibe 5, however my opinion and for that matter that of most does not matter what matters is what you HEAR.

So is there a chance there will be a meet close to you soon. There you could test the various amps and make a better selection.

If that option is not available you could order one of each, yes you would be out about $400 or so. However you could return the ones you do not like and would only be out the S&H both ways wich would be about $45 plus the cost of the amp you keep.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back