Choosing Best IEM in ~$200 Range
Apr 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dkcan

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi! I've been waiting for this moment but I finally saved enough money for me to buy my own and not to mention, first IEM (all those days drooling over the IEMs are over). But since I'm used to using headphones like Sennheiser PX-200 and such, I'm kind of stuck on what to choose.

I listen to all genres of music so I'd like an IEM that is well rounded in general but I think I'll prefer warmer sound. The main factors I'm concerned with are comfort and isolation. Others I think I can manage to give it a go since it's my first IEM.

I've been looking at a lot of IEMs in this price range but there are too many choices (Monster, Denon, Hippo VB, Klipsch and Weston 1 are just some I've been looking at) and it's really hard for me to predict whether they'll be comfortable or not so I'd really appreciate any the suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
atsmile.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm going to go ahead and say HJE900 because it's awesome and the only IEM I own and the only "serious" IEM I've heard, and possibly some better tips for it. It works for pretty much all genres with aslightly warm sound sig. Might come off as a bit harsh at first, especially if you have them unmodded with stock tips. But they are only 109 if you live in the US. I had the PX200-II, which I loved and is apparently notably be better than the PX200, but my HJE900s totally blows them out the water, although they have significantly different sound signatures.

Other recommendations are the Monster Turbine Gold or Copper, the former of which can usually be found for cheaper. The Golds are warmer and bassier, the coppers are more neutral, though FWIR still slightly on the warm side.

Theres also the RE252 which has a transparent presentation with more bass and soundstage than the much loved RE0s.

Hopefully others with more experience will chime in, good luck =]

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 14
The monsters go for more than 200 but you might get lucky and find something in the FS threads.

The Golds are pretty warm thats for sure. The bass will hit you pretty hard and extends fairly low. They aren't balanced but they are fun at a couple hours at a time for me at least. Their isolation is fairly good (I tried it on the subway/bus today and they did a god job) and had no issues with comfort.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 14
klipsch custom 3 can be had for around $150 .they are good for most types of music, are nicely balanced, with a solid bass and great details in the midrange and treble.They are slightly warm sounding ,isolate vey well and are comfortable to wear for the hole day.

The cord can be a bit microphonic though so not so good for running ,supurb for listening at home though.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 14
Balanced sound, comfort, isolation? You just described my Westone 2s! =p

I used to own Denon C551s, and trust me, you shouldn't get those. They're not bad, but they don't have anything close to a balanced sound (huge bass emphasis).

The Westone 2s should be just what you're looking for/

- The bass is at a "perfect" level. Goes deep, punchy, and good quantity, but doesn't go into the mids or overpowers the rest of the sound. The mids are not recessed nor forward. The highs are very good, not harsh. The sound is very detailed, soundstage is kind of large, imaging is pretty good. Very little sibilance.
- Really comfortable, I have yet to take them off because of pain or anything like that.
- The isolation is pretty good, I use them on the subway and I rarely hear anything (I don't play my music THAT loud either, the volume bar is set at ~66% on my Fuze).

I listen to a lot of types of music too (orchestrated, classic rock, hard rock, alternative rock, blues rock, heavy metal, rap, house, pop just to name a few
biggrin.gif
), and I find the Westone 2's great for all except rap, where I wish it had a little more bass quantity (but that would ruin the great balance).

You should check out the Westone 2 appreciation thread, many owners share the same thoughts that I do.

If you decide to get them, you should buy them at thegearlab.com (if you live in the US). They're an authorized dealer. I got them for $215 there.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the responses, very much appreciated.
I wasn't aware that it's pretty difficult to find Monster for lower than 200$ which is a shame, but I'm really interested in Weston 2, UM2 and HJE900 among others. I'll be doing more research on these to see which one fits my style the best! Thanks again.

Oh and I was wondering if these are good for running/working out as well? It would be awesome to have these IEMs while working out as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 14
I'll be selling my Westone 2 as soon as my Coppers come in and I compare them, so keep your eyes peeled in the For Sale forum if you're interested in getting a pair used for about a month at a good price.
I talked with the guys at TheGearLab, and they were willing to ship to Canada using USPS Priority, FWIW.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 14
Be careful what you suggest when dkcan specifically states he's looking for a warmer sound. The Denon is fine, The Custom 3 is fine, the SA6 I suggested is specifically warm, but the CK10 is not, the RE252 is not, and the IE8 isn't available at the $200 price point. The only high end that can be had within $200 is the Triple.Fi 10.

If dkcan wants warm and smooth, SA6 is a great option.
If dkcan wants slightly warm but thick, Custom 3 is a good option (minus crap cabling)
If dkcan wants something V shaped with a full low end but also great highs, the Triple.Fi 10 is a great option.
If dkcan wants something V shaped with a natural, slightly dry, and articulate sound, the Denon C751 is a great options
If dkcan want something neutral and life-like, the RE252 is a great option.
If dkcan wants something slightly bright, very realistic, and excellently detailed top end, the CK10 is a great option.

Personal opinion, I'd say the C751 and Custom 3 aren't quite as good as the Triple.Fi 10, RE252, and CK10. The SA6 is impressive but slightly limited being a single BA earphone. The Cusotm 3 and SA6 offer a big, spacious sound while the others are more intimate.

I know the Monster Turbines are very well liked, but I can't comment on them as I have not heard them.

I know the UM2 is well liked, but again I have not heard this set. I know it uses the ER4P driver for the midrange and top end but adds a bass driver for the bottom end. I'm familiar with the ER4S. The UM2 is not all that cheap and is priced similar to what the UM3X or W3 can be purchased for used. It's simply a little outside of the budget, just like the IE8.

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 14
Wow thanks for the responses. I'll check

I'm wondering if CK10 is okay for my budget because the one I found online seems to be pretty expensive at around $300.

I'm just looking at all possibilities right now but how is Weston 1 like? As a first IEM, I think it's better for my wallet than other high-end stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 14
FWIR the Westone 1 isn't that great. If this is going to be your only IEM for a while, it probably won't be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back