Choosing an IEM/canalphone < $100
Aug 24, 2007 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tokkun

Head-Fier
Hey guys, hope you aren't too sick of recommendation threads.

Anyway, a few months ago I bought my first pair of canalphones, the Creative EP630. I was very happy with the comfort and value, but unfortunately they went missing when I moved to a new city. Now that I have a taste for in-ear headphones, I'm looking to move up to something a little better.

My budget is up to $100, but ideally I'd like something that's around the $60-range.

I primarily listen to electronic, jazz, classical, and rock music. My typical source is a Sony VAIO Pocket mp3 player, and I'm usually listening during my commute by bus, so isolation is important. Buying additional tips is not a big deal if they improve the isolation and sound quality. I'm not looking for super-power in my bass either.

Thanks

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Hmmm, not that much bass eh, then I would say Super.fi 3's, they'll really excel on your classical and jazz, and I enjoy them w/ drums n' bass if that's close enough to electronica for you.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 9
I'll throw in a recommendation for the Crossroads MylarOne X3. From what I've read, they're a cross between a EP630 and CX300, and I favored the X3 to the CX300 when I compared the two. Their isolation should be comparable to the EP630. They go for $57 shipped at Jaben.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 9
x2 on the super.fi 3

I had these (and while they did not particularly suit my tastes) they were extremely clear sounding and excelled in audio clarity. They did not, however, have very much bass. Too me, the rock and metal I listened to with the super.fi didn't have that punchy, forward sound, that I get with my Grado's, but I've heard this changes immensely when the super.fi's are paired with an amp. Unfortunately, during the time I had the super.fi 3 I didn't have an amp.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 9
This is likely the list you will end up choosing from:

UE super.fi 3
Ety ER6i
JAYS d-JAYS
Crossroads Mylarone
Shure E2c

Once in a while earphonesolutions.com will put the price of the white super.fi 3 down from $70 to $60 and that probably represents a decent deal if you're not looking for much bass. The CX300 won't really be an upgrade from EP630.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Look up the Crossroads Mylarone XB version -- supposedly a more grown-up version of the Creatives (more bass than the X3 version, plus I believe a metal housing, if that matters).

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions.

As for the Super fi 3, I'm concerned that some of the Amazon reviews said that it was uncomfortable and had a convoluted insertion process. I've had comfort issues in the past with headphones, but my old EP630s were very comfortable and really easy to put using their stock tips.

Is the Mylarone XB better than the X3? The Mylarone models look pretty similar to the Creatives, so I suppose they will probably be comfortable for me.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tokkun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Mylarone XB better than the X3? The Mylarone models look pretty similar to the Creatives, so I suppose they will probably be comfortable for me.

XB vs X3 is mostly more bass in the XB as far as I can tell by reading the threads on here. Haven't heard either.

Comfort with canalphones like the XB/X3 is affected by the tips used. For example, I like my Marshmallows a lot better with UE bi-flange tips. I believe that the XB/X3 combo will take tips from UE or the Shure E2 family.

Steve

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tokkun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions.

As for the Super fi 3, I'm concerned that some of the Amazon reviews said that it was uncomfortable and had a convoluted insertion process. I've had comfort issues in the past with headphones, but my old EP630s were very comfortable and really easy to put using their stock tips.

I came from the Creative EP-630's too(?) The rubber/silicone tips are pretty much the same as the Creative tips. For the ultimate ears you have to put them in, and then loop the memory wire behind your ear, that way it stays more secure, it's quite comfortable, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back