Choosing an Entry Level DAP
Jun 30, 2017 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

peanuts252

New Head-Fier
Hey headfi'ers. Trying to decide on what entry level DAP to get (trying to reduce my phone usage). I've narrowed it down to a Cowon Plenue D and a Fiio X3ii. Only pair of cans right now are my Fidelio X2s.

Right now, the Cowon is leading on: internal storage, form factor, materials (I'm a sucker for all aluminum)
The Fiio's line out capabilities are nice, the physical controls are appealing, and the lower price is a good plus.

How do people feel about the UI of both players? That seems to be a minus for both players, just differing amounts of suck. The amount of lag on the Plenue could definitely be a killer depending on how bad it is.
And obviously, how's the sound quality on both?

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 5
I use the FiiO X3ii and I love it. You are right, the fixed/variable line out is very helpful and works great with any Amp setup. It's easy to use and highly portable and I have had not problems with it what so ever. It is always with me.

It allows you all the audiophile options you need for just about any situation. However, I do think that the OTG function was disabled in later firmware updates and that did upset a lot of people. Without the later firmware updates searching through your music is a big Pain in the @$$.

People are kind of expecting a new version of the X3 to come out sometime soon, but I haven't been keeping up with that. There's obviously no Android or wifi streaming, but if you are using it for Bare Bones listening an hooking up to an AMP, it is a great deal.

Sound is neutral and open and with a descent soundstage. Solid DAC, and it's nice to be able to use it as a DAC as well.

UI is easy, some lag if you are maneuvering through folders, but if you save the material into the database and search through that, then there's no lag. It definitely has an old school feel to it.

I don't know about the other DAP's you mentioned and I know there are quite a few out there right now at this price range.

IMO, when it comes to DAP's, it's worth investing and not going up incremental steps of the ladder. If you have the money or can wait and save, I'd go for something mid-tier, at least breaking into something like the Opus#1 or along those lines. If not, stay diligent in the search for the best entry level one you can find.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Aune m1s

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey headfi'ers. Trying to decide on what entry level DAP to get (trying to reduce my phone usage). I've narrowed it down to a Cowon Plenue D and a Fiio X3ii. Only pair of cans right now are my Fidelio X2s.

Right now, the Cowon is leading on: internal storage, form factor, materials (I'm a sucker for all aluminum)
The Fiio's line out capabilities are nice, the physical controls are appealing, and the lower price is a good plus.

How do people feel about the UI of both players? That seems to be a minus for both players, just differing amounts of suck. The amount of lag on the Plenue could definitely be a killer depending on how bad it is.
And obviously, how's the sound quality on both?

Thought I would jump in, if you don't mind. I had the FiiO x3ii, and really liked it. That DAP was my first foray back into the Head-Fi world, and I bought it secondhand. I really liked the neutral sound signature, but I have since sold it and moved on...I have not personally heard a Cowon Plenue D, but hear very good things about it. I almost flipped the switch on one, a while back but I do not need another DAP, as I had some coming for review purposes.

I have in hand the Aune M1s, Shanling M2s and Cayin N3. I really like all three of those, and they fit into your price (based upon the other two you mentioned). I am listening to the Aune through my Grado GH-2 right now, and I am very impressed with the slightly north of neutral sound. Think just north of the x3ii, and that would define it. A very nice plain jane DAP, that just plays.

The Shanling M2s is probably my favorite of the three. I like a warmer sound signature, and use the big brother M5 as my standard "non-gizmo" DAP by which I judge others. The M2s has a warmer sound signature, like big brother, but also has Bluetooth, and can be used as a DAC. A nice feature out of your computer. I really like the Shanling house sound. For $149, it is stellar.

I just finished a review of the Cayin N3, and really liked it, too. Slightly less warm than the Shanling, but north of the Aune. Cayin has made great strides in their sound signature, with updated Firmware first with the i5, then incorporated into the N3. It is quite nice, and for the price ($149) a stunning unit. Again, it has Bluetooth, and the ability to be used as a DAC. The Aune is $199 right now, and if I had to choose, would probably come in third of the three.

That said, I have not heard it through a balanced set of headphones/IEM's, and from what people say, it makes a heckuva difference. Of the three I mentioned, it is the only one with that capability. Very basic UI, no frills on the outside, Aune packs the unit with top quality sound capabilities, and I DO like the sound, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

So, of the four (Cowon included), you have some great choices, and if you could possibly audition them side by side, that would help. If you want a more neutral signature, then the Aune or Cowon (from what I have heard/read). Warmer would be the Cayin, then the Shanling.

As a final note, you might want to look for a Shanling M5 or Opus #1 used (Shanling will be cheaper by about $100). Both of those would be fabulous units to have, and fall into the same price as the others, new. The Opus is neutral and stunning. I am sooo impressed with it. The M5 as I said, is my go to, but I would happily and gladly add an Opus #1 to my stable if I could.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi everyone,

I'm also looking for a DAP and, instead of posting a new thread, I think it's better to just post it here.

Currently I have an AK Jr and a Cayin N3. I've also listened to Sony Walkman A17 and FiiO X1. My problem with ALL of them is the background hiss. I've seen multiple reviews saying AK Jr and Cayin N3 have very silent backgrounds, and I suspect that the reviewers were not using sensitive IEMs. Most of my headphones are IEMs, and my daily drivers are Sennheiser IE80's. With them, I can definitely hear a noticeable hiss that gets annoying especially in quiet environments. And I don't think my IE80's are broken, because I CANNOT hear the hiss on my iPad Pro or my Audioengine D1.

So, can anyone please recommend me a DAP that has a silent background?

Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back