Choosing a portable headphone
Aug 14, 2012 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bufo333

New Head-Fier
Check out the poll. I currently have a set of Grado sr-225i's that I use for portable work with my ipod classic. If you were purchasing a pair of headphones today, which of the above would you choose and why?

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 5
The DT1350 is an awesome headphone period let alone a portable one.  They seal pretty well, they have really deep bass, slightly recessed mids, and nicely rolled off highs.  They are very easy to listen to and look pretty cool.  My only gripe about them is that beyer seems to have different driver performance and I have had at least two pairs that sound quite different.  The pair that did not sound the best had a definite notch in the mid range making the frequency response not as flat.  They still sounded quite good, but the other pair I was testing against sounded at least 50% better.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
... If you were purchasing a pair of headphones today...

It's funny that you asked that, because these V-Moda M80's (http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344985887&sr=8-1&keywords=m80+vmoda) just dropped in price (Graph - http://camelcamelcamel.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/product/B005HSDLCO).

I'm not well versed with Beyerdynamic, but since you already have Grados, you might as well try something new. Personally, I prefer the V-Moda M80 sound to the M50. Everything just seems much more clear, with the bass being less bloated and leaving room for the mids and highs, which is good because you're probably accustomed to your Grados.

They're much more portable than the M50's as well, with a removable cable and obviously smaller size due to them being on-ear. While I'm more of a circumaural person myself, they still provide plenty of isolation while on the go. Right now, the Modas are $30 more ($50 compared to the M50S), but I find them to be a better headphone.

Just don't take my word for it. Do some research (Googling) and decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back