Choosing a new portable media player is complicated
Oct 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

flyfish2002

Head-Fier
[size=medium]I am looking for a few opinions on a move I am pondering.  [/size]

[size=medium]Currently, I have a dedicated Windows 7 laptop with J Rivers Media Center 16 for my desk top set-up.  I use my Windows Phone 7 with its installed Zune media player for portable.  [/size]

[size=medium]My audio files are all WMA lossless in 16 bit/44, 48 and 24 bit/96.  [/size]

[size=medium]I would like to stop using my Windows Phone 7 with Zune for my media player and have a dedicated portable media device.  I can go the iPod Touch 4G direction or a non-Apple device.[/size]

[size=medium]The iPod Touch 4G has the benefit of the CLAS.  On the non-Apple side, the Cowon D3 looks interesting.  Others?[/size]

[size=medium]I do love the J Rivers Media Center which appears to synch well with most non-Apple devices.  It appears that more recent iPods are not able to easily be sync’d with J Rivers.  I guess I would need to move to iTunes and convert my audio files if I go with an iPod, no?[/size]

[size=medium]Other considerations as I look to make a move in my portable media player?[/size]

[size=medium]I stream to my stereo system in the listening area of my basement using a Logitech Squeezebox Touch, so either media format will work there.  [/size]

[size=medium]Any comment, rant or reference is appreciated.  [/size]

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm pretty sure that if you use anything but a Zune or WP7 device as a portable that the WMA lossless will not be compatible.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Right - I can convert to iPod compatible lossless no problem.

In many cases, I have the original FLAC file and use db poweramp forconverting (and ripping), so I can go back and convert FLAC to Apple lossless. 

Format is less a concern than making a long-term commitment to a media player.  I will either go iPod Touch 4G with CLAS or a non-Apple product.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 4
ipod with a line out dock seems like a fairly solid buy i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back