Choosing a new DAP - A829 or D2 - can you help with a question?
Jun 15, 2008 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Barry

100+ Head-Fier
Coming off of an ipod classic, which is OK but a bit sterile for my tastes, I am thinking of either the A829 or the D2. I have heard the Sony at my local Sony store and love the impact and dynamics. I have not heard the D2 and have been reading great things about it. I think that it is fillpelli who ditched the Sony for the D2 but I don't know the exact reasons. Sound? Features? Anybody used both and can offer a perspective?

I used to own the iaudio X5 and did not love it. It has been some time and I don't remember exactly why, just that it was not so comfortable to use and rarely found that I was having an emotional reaction to the music. How does the D2 sound compared to the X5?

Also, I looked and could not find whether the cowon uses a file tree or tags. Actually, I don't remember whether the X5 used file tree or not.

Thanks all for reading this and for your suggestions/observations. Oh yes, I have the Shure 530s and P2 buds but will probably do some experimentation along those lines. The AT stuff seems interesting but I have not heard any of their portable ear gear yet.

Take care

Barry

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 14
The d2 has file tree and tag based navigation

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 14
If by emotional reaction you're talking about warmth/bass impact then I'd take Sony, as this is what I found lacking in the D2.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Bass impact combined with detail and air/space does tend to make things more emotional for me. I have since found some threads about the D2 and remain a bit unsure. It has the features that I would want, but as RedSky suggests, the sound may not match my preferences, though they do seem to match my earphones. Anybody in the Philly area have one and is willing to let me audition?

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Barry, I just went out to the Sonystyle store in King of Prussia & bought a Sony 829(Being from So. Jersey it gave me a chance to try out my GPS . I like the GPS;couldn't have been easier!) . From what I can tell so far I like it a lot . I am currently using a pair or Shure SE310 earphones which aren't by any means the last word in bass response but I like their detail. The Sony is giving me a better bass reponse through these phones than I was getting from my Ipod nanos. The overall sound is a bit fuller also. I don't use equalization,but the 829 has more options for that than the pods. The Sony has more program options for importing music. I was already using WMP 11 so I was pretty much set to go by opening up WMP & syncing up what I had sitting in my WMP library. I'm not a playlist person I prefer whole albums so I did'nt have to drag & drop anything. Give Sonystyle a call, the 829 is pretty nice.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass impact combined with detail and air/space does tend to make things more emotional for me. I have since found some threads about the D2 and remain a bit unsure. It has the features that I would want, but as RedSky suggests, the sound may not match my preferences, though they do seem to match my earphones. Anybody in the Philly area have one and is willing to let me audition?

The cans you have listed in your signature would be adequately powered by the D2. With the Sony, you may have to use an amp, but since its headphone out isn't very neutral or anywhere as clean as the D2's you won't want to amp it either. The D2's headphone out can very (i mean VERY) closely mimic a lineout signal, when used with the right volume and no EQ settings are used, so an amp with your D2 will make your cans sparkle, as well as provide you with the deeeep bass that you want.

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cans you have listed in your signature would be adequately powered by the D2. With the Sony, you may have to use an amp, but since its headphone out isn't very neutral or anywhere as clean as the D2's you won't want to amp it either. The D2's headphone out can very (i mean VERY) closely mimic a lineout signal, when used with the right volume and no EQ settings are used, so an amp with your D2 will make your cans sparkle, as well as provide you with the deeeep bass that you want.

I'll second that,I am using the D2 with the RSA Predator and ER4S's---Superb

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 14
I am bending towards the D2. One last question - can somebody compare the transparency, air, soundstage, musical cohesiveness (hard to explain - the HD 600 have it, the RS-1 have it, not sure that the K701 do) associated with the D2 to the Sony, classic, etc.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I just wish it were easier to audition these things. I know how the Sony sounds, but the distribution of the D2 is so limited.

Take care

Barry

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am bending towards the D2. One last question - can somebody compare the transparency, air, soundstage, musical cohesiveness (hard to explain - the HD 600 have it, the RS-1 have it, not sure that the K701 do) associated with the D2 to the Sony, classic, etc.

Jet Effects!

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 14
Regarding D2: If you keep the EQ relatively flat, transparency is good, if you adjust it then transparency or at least the clarity of some frequencies disappears. Soundstage is pretty narrow but there are two JetEffects which generally do a pretty good job of extending it, you can also crossfeed with BBE slightly which helps as well.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 14
From what i've heard from others (since i've never experienced this), soundstage is only somewhat narrow if you haven't installed the latest firmware. However, even before I used an amp, I never found any issues with the soundstage. Adding an amp, of course, will expand the soundstage even more, along with making your cans shimmer, so this really isn't an issue.

Jun 18, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #12 of 14
I use an iriver clix as of now and have heard the cowon d2 for an extensive time.

If you are looking for emotions straight of the headphone out of the d2, you are not going to find it. Also if you find the ipod sterile then you are definitely not going to like the d2. Also since you said that you don't like the x5, I really doubt you liking the d2.

For me the sound has no connection and is just too analytical for my taste. The soundstage is practically non existent compared to other players in the competition. Also it lacks the bottom end which the sony and the clix players produce so well.

If you are worried about the output then go with the iriver clix which plays very loud.

I bought the d2 because of the extensive feature set. I really wanted to like it but just could not get over the sound. Also it tends to get sibilant on many rock tracks.

But lot of people here seem to like it so I would suggest an audition before you get one.

Jun 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #13 of 14
^^ Yeah, my finding were pretty much the same.

I would say you can probably fix the soundstage a tad with effects but even then compared to something naturally airy like iRivers, it sounds processed (although that could be placebo).

Also, if you EQ down the high frequencies one or two points, and don't enable MP Enhance you can get rid of this sibilance, or at least I was able to, to my ears.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 14
I appreciate your collective impressions and I especially appreciate the suggestion that I audition before I buy. Considering that no local stores have the D2, I would have to go to NYC to JR in the hopes of an audition. B and H is a great store but they don't have any of the units powered up.

The Sony is easier; as was mentioned, there is a Sonystyle store in King of Prussia. That is where I heard their sample songs and was pretty impressed. But I know me and that if I did not check the option, it would always wonder.

Then I checked the return policy at Jetmall. It is 30 days from invoice and I checked to make sure that I could return it if I don't like the sound and they said that I could. So, I figure it is worth the postage to see where my ears are in this continuum of opinion. Hope to get it in a week and I guess that I will see for myself. If there is anybody in the Philly area that wants to take a listen then feel free to PM me and I am sure that we can work something out.

Thanks

Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back