Choosing a full-size closed for electronic.
Oct 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

9Nein9

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking the HFI-580 is a good choice. Preferred genres are DnB, EDM, electro-house. My budget is <$350. Preferably one which has great bass impact, good mids, and the treble doesn't really matter, although I don't like it to be aggressive or sibilant. Any recommendations?

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 16
  I'm thinking the HFI-580 is a good choice. Preferred genres are DnB, EDM, electro-house. My budget is <$350. Preferably one which has great bass impact, good mids, and the treble doesn't really matter, although I don't like it to be aggressive or sibilant. Any recommendations?

I am certainly not the expert in closed cans, but a couple questions that may help get you closer...

1) Are they primarily for home or portable use?

2) Are you planning on using an amp?  If so, which one?

3) Have you considered Beats By Dre Studios?

JK on question 3   
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 16

I am certainly not the expert in closed cans, but a couple questions that may help get you closer...

1) Are they primarily for home or portable use?

2) Are you planning on using an amp?  If so, which one?

3) Have you considered Beats By Dre Studios?

JK on question 3   
biggrin.gif

1) Primarily home use.

2) I do have the FiiO E17 if necessary.

3) Absolutely. You know what, I don't even need this thread. I'll sell my house and buy some Studios. If you don't see how good they are then you are an idiot. They trump even the LCD-3's. /sarcasm

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 16
Now how would the DT770 compare? I've heard that the bass extension and impact is excellent, but I've also heard that about the 580's. Would the ~$50 price difference justify the SQ difference?

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 16
If you can find some 32ohm anniversary DT770s, they're definitely worth it. It's a little harder to quantify the $50 difference on the regular 80ohm set, but they're definitely good.. Just not quite as good as the 32ohm AEs :)

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 16

Heya,

At that range, Vmoda M100 and AKG K267.

Very best,

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 16
Now how would the DT770 compare? I've heard that the bass extension and impact is excellent, but I've also heard that about the 580's. Would the ~$50 price difference justify the SQ difference?

The DT770s and the HFI-580s are both excellent. I feel like the HFI-580s have more bass impact, though. Sort of depends on what you are looking for.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 16
I already have the M-100. I like its sound signature, but I feel its bass could have a bit more impact. The amount of bass is perfect, though it doesn't really go as deep as I would like. I'm thinking the DT770 would be great for home listening as it is supposed to be very comfortable, but I've heard a lot about the HFI-580. Do the WS99 and the K267 have good mids as well?

EDIT: Can they keep up with DnB, though? That's what I mostly listen to.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 16
The ws99 has better mids than the m100 for sure but if you want more bass impact than the m100... your going to need to use an amp. The ws99 does have really good bass impact though (sometimes too much for me, it wont mud or interfere with the mids at all though).

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 16
How about the Ultrasone PRO 900? I can probably get a cheap one for around $350. I've heard that its bass is the best, but it has a slightly recessed midrange, and sibilant treble. I suppose I could stand the recession and sibilance if it has the best (and deepest) bass. Right now, I'm sort of leaning toward the HFI-580 and the PRO 900. I'll hopefully be able to try them out in a couple of days, I'll get back to you on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back