Choosing a FIIO portable headphone amp?
Jun 20, 2014 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

radunn

New Head-Fier
I am by no means an audiophile but do appreciate quality sound.  Currently, the device I'd like an amp for is the: LG 840G tracfone (Music Player); eventually I might upgrade the device.  I'm not able to locate the output specs of the LG-840G but do know when listening to MP3s at full volume there is allot more to be desired.  The headphones are inexpensive (IDW folding headset).  Headphone specs are:
 Impedance                        32
    Frequency Range               20-20,000Hz
    Sensitivity                           100dB / mW
    Rated Max Input Power      30mW
    Weight                                 130g
    Cord Length                         5 ft
Microphone specifications:
    Dimensions                          6 x 2.7mm
    Directive                             omni directional
    Independence                         low impendence
    Sensitivity                             -54 +/-2dB
    Frequency Response           20Hz-20,000Hz
    Rated Voltage                      3v

So far I've reviewed several FIIO amps; the E6, E7, E11, E17 and E07K.  I am most impressed with the E07K but if the E6 or another model is more suitable than so be it.  Again I definitely want to increase the quality of the sound I'm listening to; notably volume.  Can someone steer me in a good direction?  In advance thanks for your time and support.  I'm ready to purchase soon
L3000.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 7
+1; If volume is the ONLY issue... go for the E6. Otherwise, listen to Za. If you don't like the hp, amp isn't going to make it magically better.

Thank you. So basically, what does the amp do; power the device or headphone? I chose an amp because I thought it increases the power of the device (not the headphone) with the result(s) heard through the headset. Again thanks

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes, the amp gives the hp more current and/or voltage for better control over the drivers thus louder output. Sometimes underperforming hps get better with an amp because they get better control with more power but it doesn't drastically alter it's sound signature. Unless that amp is tuned to color the sound.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Yes, the amp gives the hp more current and/or voltage for better control over the drivers thus louder output. Sometimes underperforming hps get better with an amp because they get better control with more power but it doesn't drastically alter it's sound signature. Unless that amp is tuned to color the sound.

Thank you for the input. I 'think' I'm gaining a grasp on the amp/hp concept but need a bit more coaching. Given the headset/device I have does a higher end amp such as the fiio e07k provide optimal results vs. the e06? Granted the lg-840g tracfone and idw headset are inferior devices for the audiophile (which I am not). Again I just want to up the volume from the lg-840. Am I missing something here? Importantly I don't want to waste money on an amp that will have little or no effect on my current hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back