Choosing a DAP
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Chrono251

New Head-Fier
Hi!
After going to CanJam I really started thinking about buying a DAP and IEM to use when I'm not at home. At home I use the HD650 with a Valhalla 2 amp and a DacMagic Plus and I'm really happy with this setup.
My birthday is coming up soon, so this would be a present to myself. :ksc75smile:

For the IEMs, I'm waiting for some reviews about the iBasso IT04, that should be available soon.

For the DAP, on the other side, I'm not really sure what to buy. There are so many! I have a collection of FLAC files and I use Deezer for music streaming (and offline as well). My budget is up to 700$, I'm not planning to spend more unless it is really worth it. I don't have the chance to go to a shop and try them unfortunately and I got the idea after going to CanJam so when I was there I looked at other things.

Here is the list of what I found so far:
- Fiio X7 mk2 - It is the one that I'm considering the most, as it seems to be a very nice device, with good SQ at an affordable price.
- Sony NW-ZX300 - I really like this device and I would probably get this, but I'm not convinced I could use a streaming service and download the tracks for offline use.
- iBasso DX150 - A lot of hype about this device, but not many reviews yet. It seems promising.
- Astell&Kern AK70 MKII - I think AK is a very good brand, but from what I read the custom version of Android has some limitations about what it is possible to install.
- HiBy R6 - This is another very interesting DAP, but from what I understand it is not available right now as they have to deal with a lot of orders.
- Pioneer XDP-300R-B - I read a lot of good things about this online, the main issue being the battery life which is not great. It is a slightly older device.
- Onkyo DP-X1A - Another device with many good reviews. I'm not sure if the issue with the connectors was solved in this version.
- iBasso DX200 - This is outside the budget, but after the release of the DX150, the price dropped a little and I could extend my budget to get this if it is really worth it. It is maybe a little too big.
- Astell&Kern AK320 - Probably doesn't fit in here, but it seems to be discounted at almost half price.

This is what I found searching this forum and online in the last few days, but it is really hard to pick one.
What would you recommend?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 17
since your budget is up to $700, I'm sure you can find an iBasso DX200 (used) for that amount. I had mine listed for $700 (amp1 and amp3) and it sold within 30mins of listing :)

The next one I've been interested in is the Hiby R6.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 17
I've tried the DX200, Zx300, X7ii, and AK70ii.

In terms of SQ I would rank them like this:
X7ii(AM3A) >= DX200 (AMP1) >>> AK70ii >> ZX300

In terms of UI speed :
AK70ii = X7ii (pure music mode) > ZX300 >> DX200 (Stock firmware)

I tried the Ak300 (not 320) and it loses to the AK70ii in terms of sq.

I'd say go for the X7ii :)

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 17
Thank you for your detailed recommendations!

I think that maybe the DX200 is a little too big, I would like to carry the DAP in my pocket and by the numbers it is the bulkiest of the list.

I'm ready to order a X7ii, but the R6 is very intriguing (in particular for the UI speed, as reviews suggest that the sq is good as well)... but there is no estimate for when it will be available. Should I wait or buy the X7ii, and I will be happy with it?

By the way, how about the Hiby R3?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 17
While the HiBy R6 MAY not lose much in terms of SQ to the X7ii, the R3 is a definite step down. It would be the worst sounding of the bunch by quite a big margin.

Then again, it was never meant to compete against these DAPs.

Comparing the UI X7ii and the R6. I would say the X7ii is "good enough" while the R6 is excellent. Soundwise many reviewers have put the R6 below the X7ii which is to be expected. Mobile chips can't compete with full sized versions. Then there's the fact that the X7ii has a superior amp.

I'd say go with the X7ii and don't look back. You can't miss what you never had.

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 17
You are right about that.

I was wondering one last thing: can any of those devices be controlled by the in-car audio system if connected with USB? I could find information only for Fiio and unfortunately it cannot be controlled over USB, but I could find anything for the other devices. I guess that the only way would be to use a standard audio cable with 3.5mm plugs, losing the possibility to chose the songs from the display in the car.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 17

I was wondering one last thing: can any of those devices be controlled by the in-car audio system if connected with USB? I could find information only for Fiio and unfortunately it cannot be controlled over USB, but I could find anything for the other devices. I guess that the only way would be to use a standard audio cable with 3.5mm plugs, losing the possibility to chose the songs from the display in the car.
Had a Fiio X1 several years ago and on a trip to New England rented a Kia Sorento and it played all of my stuff via usb my car at the time did not have usb. My new car does and from my Questyle QP1R it only sees the MP3 files and not flac maybe wav files but everything is in flac or mp3.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 17

The only method to do so would be Bluetooth but you'll have to sacrifice sq.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 17
The only method to do so would be Bluetooth but you'll have to sacrifice sq.
Have to say Tidal over Bluetooth from my iPhone is much better than XM ( which is crap for music) or HD radio FM.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 17
Have to say Tidal over Bluetooth from my iPhone is much better than XM ( which is crap for music) or HD radio FM.
Yea but its definitely lower quality compared to using a cable.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 17
Thank you for your answers.
Unfortunately in my car I don't have Bluetooth streaming, when I bought it was optional and considering that I always connect the phone to charge it I never really felt the need for that optional.
Ok, I guess I could keep using the phone as music source in my car and if I really need it I will just connect the 3.5mm plug from the DAP.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 17
What about the Shanling M0? Gives you A LOT more money for IEMs.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 17
From what people are saying, it sounds like a FiiO X1 1st gen. That's a HUGE DROP in sound quality compared to the other DAPs.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #14 of 17
From what people are saying, it sounds like a FiiO X1 1st gen. That's a HUGE DROP in sound quality compared to the other DAPs.
Meh. Huge as in worth the price difference between A&K and the Shanling/Fiio? I don't think so. If it does sound like Fiio, it'll be on the warm side. The larger issue for me is the amp. Sony DAP's are anemic when it comes to power output. I think Cayin's generally take the cake there, with some Hifiman players being in the ballpark. Haven't checked opus or Fiio in that regard. I actually love my Aune M1s, but it doesn't have streaming.

It seems odd to me to spend all that money on a DAP when it could be used to actually improve the iem's themselves...

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #15 of 17
Meh. Huge as in worth the price difference between A&K and the Shanling/Fiio? I don't think so. If it does sound like Fiio, it'll be on the warm side. The larger issue for me is the amp. Sony DAP's are anemic when it comes to power output. I think Cayin's generally take the cake there, with some Hifiman players being in the ballpark. Haven't checked opus or Fiio in that regard. I actually love my Aune M1s, but it doesn't have streaming.

It seems odd to me to spend all that money on a DAP when it could be used to actually improve the iem's themselves...
I agree but that is provided you can find one that fits your taste. A lot of TOTL-iems I've tried don't have the level of clarity I like so my cheapest way up was to get better DAPs. I tried hundreds of IEMs in the sub 1k category and none I tried had the sound I like. I liked the Kaiser 10U but it's too expensive.

DAPs can be limiting too when considering DAPs around or below $200. Its hard to explain but I'm talking from experience. I remember when I had the FiiO X1, it lacked extension on both ends. It couldn't bring out the full potential of a lot of gear. What you want is a relatively neutral dap so you don't end up getting gear that doesn't sound good on higher end DAPs. Ie, getting an overly bright iem to compensate for the warmth of the DAP. Or miss out on gear that actually sounds good but is limited by the DAP. Take the JVC FXH-30 for example. I read a lot of reviews and got it because it should fit my taste. However, when I got it, it sounded very disappointing out of my FiiO X1. I didn't know what a good player sounded like so I had no idea I was missing out. So it just sat in my drawer for quite some time till my CKR-9s broke. At that time, I had just changed to the Xduoo X3 (really good sound but really poor software). I was seriously surprised how good the FXH-30 sounded. On the X1 it really sounded dull but on the X3 it sounded like as reviews described it.

That really changed my perspective on the principle of "always spend more on IEMs rather than DAPs" . It's not necessarily true all the time. The cheapest DAP I will recommend is the Cayin N3. It punches really well above its price(between X3iii and X5iii) but most importantly, it sounds neutral so IEM's will sound as they should.

The point is, get a DAP of at least decent calibre. I agree that there's no need to spend top dollar but at the very least it should not be a limiting factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back