Choosing a DAC
Jan 29, 2007 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
Well, the time has come. Instead of just getting new cans, I want to work on my source. First things first... I have a decent amp, so I want to focus on a DAC. Initially, I was looking at the Yulong Crystal DAC. It looked great, however the general lack of information about it is sort of a turn off for me. So, then I starting thinking maybe a Zhalou. While, it looks good, but then I really thought to myself, its time to stop buying midrange stuff and then having to upgrade. If I am gunna get a DAC, might as well put a dew hondos on the table and get something nice.

Ideally, I figured $500-$600 would be what I wanted to spend. However, I just recently came across the VDA2, which seems to be getting some nice attention. After that and the power supply, however, I am looking at over $750. A little steep, but I can afford it.

So, it is worth it. Is there something else around $500 that would do me almost as well? The things I like about the VDA are, for one, the swithable inputs. I have two different digital sources, and being able to use both would be nice. This is almost a seller for me. Also, the fact that it would match my existing setup so well is another.

I am almost sold on this DAC, but I want opinions first. Is it a good choice for me? Right now, my main listening setup is an X-Fi to a Headfive to HD580's. Sneak the DAC in there. Also, I plan to one day replace the Headfive with a GS-1. Would this be a good combo? Is synergy something you have to worry about with DAC's, or do they just sort of work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back