Choosing a Closed Headphone to Travel With. Under $300 Budget
Sep 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

b00st4ddicted

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am currently in search of a new headphone for traveling. I currently own Grado SR60, Fostex T50RP, Denon D1000.  Looking to upgrade and step up to the next level.  I am in and out of airport quite a bit so closed headphone would be great.  I love wide sound stage.  I can't say I listen to anything particular, but I would lean toward something good for voice and clarity.  I could go both way with either IEM or full headphone.  I picked out a few choice, but more recommendation are definitely welcome.  AT-M50, Ultrasone 780, and AT ESW9A.  Thank you guys so much in advance!

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hi All,

I am currently in search of a new headphone for traveling. I currently own Grado SR60, Fostex T50RP, Denon D1000.  Looking to upgrade and step up to the next level.  I am in and out of airport quite a bit so closed headphone would be great.  I love wide sound stage.  I can't say I listen to anything particular, but I would lean toward something good for voice and clarity.  I could go both way with either IEM or full headphone.  I picked out a few choice, but more recommendation are definitely welcome.  AT-M50, Ultrasone 780, and AT ESW9A.  Thank you guys so much in advance!

I went with the Fidelio L1 for my travel set. It's called "semi-open" but I would say it's 80% closed. Isolation/noise-leakage shouldn't be an issue.  Here's a review: 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/handsome-philips-fidelio-l1

Currently under $200 on Amazon US by the way.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 5
There is also the Sound Magic HP 100 great sound stage, and a very neutral sound signiture. WIth wonderful Vocals

it also comes with it's own carrying case which has a nifty little clip so you can attach it to your baggage :D 

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 5
  There is also the Sound Magic HP 100 great sound stage, and a very neutral sound signiture. WIth wonderful Vocals

it also comes with it's own carrying case which has a nifty little clip so you can attach it to your baggage :D 

I didn't realize you ended up getting the HP100.  How does it compare to the DT990?  I used to own the 990, so I'm familiar with the sound.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 5

I didn't realize you ended up getting the HP100.  How does it compare to the DT990?  I used to own the 990, so I'm familiar with the sound.

a little different. The Hp 100 compares to the DT 880 more than it does the 990

The Hp 100 how ever lacks the timbre and sound stage of the Dt 880/990. but it's still very enjoyable! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back