Choosing 2 end-game headphones out of 6 TOTL headphones
Sep 20, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 19
I had the HE1000SE and Verite open as my 2 endgame headphones. It was a great combination and covered all of my music tastes. I eventually sold both to buy the Susvara and i'm happy with my decision.

edit: I would look into the Verite closed instead of the open. That would give you more variety to have an open-back and closed-back end game for different situations.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #17 of 19
One more vote to Verite Closed, since you have VO in your list, please do not miss out what VC has to offer. On the contrary, I am getting a pair of Rosson Rad-0 to compliment my VC, one closed back dynamic driver, one open back planar magnetic.

Among those in your list I have the most interest with HeKse.

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #18 of 19
Utopia instantly comes to mind. There's no dynamic driver 'quite' like it. And it responds very well to a cable upgrade ; or a source upgrade. You can slightly tune the sound signature depending on the source. Yet it will always have that beryllium pace and dynamic drive. I often reach for it as my first headphone.

I wouldn't get the HD800S and especially not for soft rock. I have a pair and it's not in the same league as the other TOTL headphones.

The counterpoint would be a planar. LCD-4 or 4Z or Hifiman would be my second choice. Empyrean would be a more affordable second tier option.

I personally went with Utopia ; Empyrean and Trialii. The HD800S is more of a casual listen.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #19 of 19
Take the SR1a as a primary. You won't find anything that presents music like it, nothing matches its technical merit.

Complement it with something at scale of HEK: Susvara, 1266 TC. Concede with VC, LCD-4 if budget is concerned.

Although I'd wait until next year. The RAAL circumaural is set to release next month which should stir the market. Abyss may have their closed back available. Both which should be high contenders for best in their class.

Audeze LCD-R is also especially lucrative.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back