Choir/Choral music suggestions
Apr 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

WisdomListens

100+ Head-Fier
Hey people

I like classical orchestral music a lot and I'm looking to expand my music interests into choir music.
The classical music I like so far is:
Beethoven Symphonies no.5, & 7
Vivaldi The four seasons - Summer... (well I like all of them but Summer in particular
Dvořák Symphony no.9
Brahms violin concerto op.77
Mozart violin concertos no. 3, & 4
Beethoven violin concerto
Mendelssohn violin concerto op.64

Hopefully those will help with the suggestions.
Thanks!

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 3
I guess given the music you have been listening to the first choral composer that comes to mind is Haydn. You can't go wrong with the Naxos recording of the creation:

Also make sure you listen to Gardiner's recording of Nelson Mass

or you can get all six masses in a boxset

After that you can try to move forward or backward in time.  Close to our times I think few choral pieces can beat Verdi Requiem. Since I am an Abbado fanboy I'll recommend this (also available in DVD)

If instead you want to go back in time, an entire universe of sacred music opens up. Since you like Vivaldi, you should try this very fun Vespri recording from Concerto Italiano

but the real giants of sacred music are of course Haendel, and above everyone, Bach. Just two samples: Rene Jacobs exciting recording of Haendel's Messiah

and the incredible, transcendent,  Herreweghe recording of Bach St Matthew Passion

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Wow calaf! Thank you very much for all the suggestions and the album artwork!
Hopefully my local library has some of these recordings so I can have a sneak peek before purchasing.
Once again, thank you for the detailed reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back