Choices, lack of decisive skills
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Xebstia

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been looking around for the past week at various places trying to get information on which headphones to get for listening to music.
I currently own Audio Technica AD700's, the first pair of headphones I've owned, which I use mainly for gaming and movies, music only because I have no other way of listening to music.

My main beef with the AD700's is that the bass is really light. I listen to rock, metal, trance/electronica, reggae, artists like Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, KoRn, Damian Marley, AD/DC, Depeche Mode, Rob Zombie, and many others. When I listen to some Linkin Park songs, the AD700's start to static and the sound gets slightly distorted.

I also have a pair of Klipsch S4's which used to sound amazing after burn in, but recently I've noticed that there's alot of cracking and distortion when I listen to any songs on high volume. Maybe due to them still burning in. They used to sound better than the AD700's at one point but the other day I compared them and I found that the AD700's are much more crisp and clear and much less distortion-y. I've looked at AT M50's, seen huge praise for them, but alot of people say that there are much better headphones out there, then I read about the Beyerdynamics DT770 headphones and how great they were but the bass is in the middle. Then there were Sennheiser 598's, ATH AD900s, honestly so many headphones that I can't even decide how to narrow down my choices. I will driving them with my PC that I build with the motherboard soundcard. I'm open to purchasing an amp if needed. I'm not too familiar with sound signatures but from what I've understood so far, I'd like something that sounds open and bassy, if there is a thump I want to FEEL it take a scoop out of me I stead of just HEARING it. I want a smooth sound with clear vocals and no cracking/static bass. I don't know if I'd call myself a bass head but I do like me some bass, good bass. I want to experience and feel the music instead of just hearing it.

I originally had a budget of around $150 but seeing as how many different headphones there are I am now willing to spend $200-250, prefferably around $200 especially if I have to get an amp. I don't really care if they're open back or closed since I'm sitting in a room all alone when I'm using them, but a good soundstage would be nice. I really just need a pair to listen to music with. I'm going to be plugging them into my PC, unless I need an amp.

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

+ 1.....   I owned these way back, I'm not a bass head by any means, But these things will blow your brains out bass wise.
Too much for me personally. But it was nice bass, that was tight and hit you right in the gut.  I don't think you could get better in that price range too?  Great build, Comfort and decent sound.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 7
+ 1.....   I owned these way back, I'm not a bass head by any means, But these things will blow your brains out bass wise.
Too much for me personally. But it was nice bass, that was tight and hit you right in the gut.  I don't think you could get better in that price range too?  Great build, Comfort and decent sound.

[COLOR=004B91]Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms[/COLOR]
ir

Do these require an amp or can I use them out of the box? Also, are they better than the DT990 PRO? (Not premium)

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

What about decent bass with great sound? also, what is with the difference with the different ohm's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back