Choices for new laptop?
Jan 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sebascrub

500+ Head-Fier
So, I overwork my poor laptop waaaaay too much and I'm considering getting a new one in the summer and giving this one to my brother to goof around on. Anyways, I'm pretty set on getting a Mac as I'm curious as well as generally annoyed at Windows. My choices are really either a MacBook, or, where my question comes in, a Mac mini. I was wondering, is it possible to use the screen of my current laptop (a Dell Inspiron 6600 IIRC - I'm at school right now) and the Mac mini as the computer itself? If so, that would be a good solution - it would enable me to still use Windows easily whenever life calls for it, but spend most of my time on Mac.

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MacBook/Parallels solution would work too. That's what I use.

Yeah, if I went the MacBook route, I'd do a dual boot. I thought about the Mac mini because it's cheaper!

Jan 29, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 12
huh? you want to drag around a mac mini? i'm missing something

if you want a mac than i guess there's not much to discuss, get a mac
smily_headphones1.gif
but if you decide on a pc and can spring for an IBM it's worth it; i have an x41 i'm trying to sell right now if you're insterested actually

Jan 29, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it possible to use the screen of my current laptop (a Dell Inspiron 6600 IIRC - I'm at school right now) and the Mac mini as the computer itself? If so, that would be a good solution - it would enable me to still use Windows easily whenever life calls for it, but spend most of my time on Mac

i'm desperately trying to figure out what the **** you're talking about, and i think my brain is going to explode........
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 12
You could install a VNC server onto the Mac mini, and VNC into it when needed through your Dell laptop. I think this gets you where you want to be, if I understand you correctly. If you do this, you wouldn't need Parallels, as your windows install would reside on your laptop.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 12
You can run windows IN the new OSX....which is really convenient...not so much dual booting. Kinda like WINE on Linux, only, you have a registered version of Windows....

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering, is it possible to use the screen of my current laptop (a Dell Inspiron 6600 IIRC - I'm at school right now) and the Mac mini as the computer itself?

That's definitely not happening. Go for the MacBook, and if price is an issue get an Apple certified refurb.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 12
I'd say that unless it's for entertainment uses only, go for a normal notebook, not a MacBook, there isn't enough support for MacBooks yet....unless you use it to run WIndows, which makes the Mac-buying pointless

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that unless it's for entertainment uses only, go for a normal notebook, not a MacBook, there isn't enough support for MacBooks yet....unless you use it to run WIndows, which makes the Mac-buying pointless

Ehm... support for what? There ARE Mac-specific computer forums, you know... And Applecare is nothing to sneer at. It's certainly much better than Dell's support.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm desperately trying to figure out what the **** you're talking about, and i think my brain is going to explode........
smily_headphones1.gif

Since the Mac mini doesn't have a screen, I was wondering if I could output to my current laptop, using my current laptop's screen. That way, I could get the mini which is cheap and save the price of a screen....now that I think of it, it seems like a silly idea, though, anything could be possible, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back