Choice. Time for 'real' set of cans. Please educate me. comments on my list
Aug 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

toears

100+ Head-Fier
I have read A LOT. I learned that it is all up to my likes when I need to choose. My expectations for my cans are;  durable well built. I will listen to popular music..... Have them connected to my pc most probably with a fiio e12 between.  The last two on the list are out of my pricerange but they seem nice when reading / looking at them. Before you advice me to go and test them, all I can say is that I live in a country where there isn't many possibilities for such a thing. Thus I rely on what I can learn here !! I will use em at work mostly. Earlier I had a pair of JVC HP-FX500. I liked them better than the replacement which was se530. Them I lend out and won't see them again I guess..  Now it's time for a 'real' pair of headphones.   So what are your suggestions ?  I am thinking about just buying the HA-S500 since they just sound soo great when reading about them? But are the money well spend if I 'upgrade' to a pricier pair ??? 

Suggestions are really really wanted.  !

Here is my list (so far)
-Those highlighted are them I guess would the best choice.

JVC HA-S500
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Grado SR80i
Beyerdynamic DT860
Beyerdynamic DT880
Grado 325i
Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla
LCD2

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 12
So I guess its bewteen these. Very different.

I am looking for a pair I can use for a lot of genres. Also which of the grados are best allroud pair ?

I guess the Beyer is my favorite. Also the jvc i would really like to hear. Grado sound terrific when reading about them.

Would any of you out there care to comment.

JVC HA-S500
Grado SR80i
Beyerdynamic DT880
Grado 325i

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 12
Basically the DT 880 and the Grado SR80i are very good and very popular on here. Depends on the type of sound you want and how much you want to spend. I personally don't have either but I would say decide which one is the sound signature you want and if it is in the right price range for you.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 12
I love the grado sound but find them extremely uncomfortable even for a few seconds. So I would never buy them. Have you tried a grado somewhere?

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
I love the grado sound but find them extremely uncomfortable even for a few seconds. So I would never buy them. Have you tried a grado somewhere?

Frankly, I've never understood why some people can't stand the feel of soft, flexible foam against their ears.  Everyone's different, however, so I'm willing to accept the fact that there are people like that.

Nevertheless, if you've ever worn a sock cap that covered your ears or ear muffs - you're not going to have trouble with Grados.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 12
So I guess its bewteen these. Very different.

I am looking for a pair I can use for a lot of genres. Also which of the grados are best allroud pair ?

I guess the Beyer is my favorite. Also the jvc i would really like to hear. Grado sound terrific when reading about them.

Would any of you out there care to comment.

JVC HA-S500
Grado SR80i
Beyerdynamic DT880
Grado 325i

You already have an amp, but know that the DT880 really have to have an amp. The others can run fine on portable devices without one. Nothing against the DT880. Great sounding headphone.

I would suggest the Grado SR225i over the SR325i. They are similar headphones, with the 325i having a metal cup which gives it a brighter sound. Or you can get the SR80i and buy the L-cush pads that are on the Prestige series (higher models) and get about 80% of the way to the SR225i sound. That would leave you enough money to buy the S500's as well. To fun headphones to have :)

Frankly, I've never understood why some people can't stand the feel of soft, flexible foam against their ears.  Everyone's different, however, so I'm willing to accept the fact that there are people like that.

Well, I'm sure that some people that buy them new and didn't like them, didn't learn what they feel like after they soften up :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 12
Good idea about two for the same price as the price of 325 / DT880.

Questions; 

Does all DT880 versions need an amplifier ? 

Comparing DT880 and the 325i, (I guess that many would say that is an amateur asking such a question
size]
). I understand that they are far from each other. But am I right that the Grados have more 'their own sound' and the DT880's have a more general/allround sound, suiting more music 'types' than the grados ? 

Will I experience the so talked about grado sound wit a pair of SR80i ?

Finally If I go for the HA-S500 and Grado 325i, will I loose too much not trying the DT880 ? 
size]

I know it's all about feeling and personal likes. At least most of it is. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Will you be wearing them outside, or only indoors? The Grados and Beyer are open so you won't get any isolation from outside noise, and other people will be able to hear your music. The S500 is closed so you can use it as a portable and in quiet locations with other people near you.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 12
If there is a Grado dealer near you, I suggest going in and testing them out before you buy.  Listen to them for a while and make sure you like them.  Some people really don't like them and it would be a shame for you to buy them only to return them.

I honestly suggest the same thing for the DT880s if you can.  I understand that you said it may not be practical, but with the money you want to spend it might be wise, especially if you've never owned headphones like them in the past.

If you're already willing to spend the money for the DT880s and have your heart set on Grados, consider the SR225i.  A lot of people (myself included) consider it to be the sweet spot in the Prestige series.

I don't own the 880s, and I know that the sound is different from the 770s that I do own; but the DT770s at least tend to have a very V shaped signature.  Recessed mids with higher bass and treble.  By comparison, Grados have a lot more in terms of mids and the bass is not as exaggerated.

To answer your question about the amp, I definitely would amp all versions of the 880s.  They will not sound right otherwise (bring your amp with you if you go to test them out, for sure).

Another consideration is:  Do you care about sound leaking in and out?  If you do, the DT880s and all of the Grados will not be the headphones for you.  They are Open, so sound will leak both ways.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 12
See that's what I mean. Surely my best option is flying to that japanese headphoneshop. They surely have one of the worlds biggest collection of phones. I really should try to see waht they have here in the captial city of this midget country I live in. 

open open, what kind of loss are we looking at. I wil mostly use them at work in an office enviroment. I don't care about colleagues.. ! But I guess they will kick me if the 'spill-sound' is too much. 

I shouldn't ask and just go for one of the pairs on the list. But are there any closed phones to be recommended ? My expected use is light rock etc etc etc. The entire range almost.  And I am eager to hear a pair of grados, but still that can wait in order to use my cash the best way...

Not easy to choose is it. 

Did I say that I have a amp ? I don't but I will have.  laugh at me or not, I went for the fiio E12DIY, which mean that I have time to cnsider my headphone purchase. 

I assume this amp is able to drive the DT880

Let's say (mostly a dream) that I will use money I don't have and go for a pair of used LCD2.  Is that wise chioce considering my expected usage / amp ?

Humble am I and very happy for the response !

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm not going to laugh at your amp choice.  I have a FiiO E17 that has served me really well.  I assume it would work for at least the 250 Ohm version of the DT880s, probably not so well for the 600 Ohm model, though.  That brings up another question:  Which version of the DT880s are you looking at buying?  There are Premium and Pro, each in at least 2 different models (250 and 600 Ohm, with an additional 32 Ohm version of the Premiums).

Will it drive an LCD2?  I highly doubt it, though I suppose it might.  Bigger question would be would you want to take such an expensive headphone to an office environment?

Depending on volume levels, the DT880s might not leak as much as the Grados.  The bonus on the 880s is that they go around your ear rather than on it, making it more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time.

The downside of Open headphones is that not only does your music leak out, but outside noises will leak in (which could cause you to turn them up higher, causing more sound to leak out...)

If you think you'll be happy with the Grados, get them.  I love my SR225i (so much so that I rarely listen to my more comfortable DT770s anymore).  I suggest getting the L-Cush pads to go along with them, if you do go that route.

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 12
I have the JVC HA-S400 and I really like them. I respect the sound quality and the comfort. bought a white pair... But all possible improvemets in a higher priced pair of cans is also coming in to my mind (ears). So I am looking for a DT880 pro / premium ? 

After reading about the slight differences between the pro/premium, can I save the extra cost and go for the pros, but stretch them a bit and have the same, bit more natural sound. 

Are the pro/premium really that similar ?  That is what I read here at head-fi at least. 

many thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back