Choice of Sony MDR-10RBT or MDR-ZX750BN?
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

redsandvb

New Head-Fier
Hello, new user looking for opinions on the Sony MDR-10RBT compared to MDR-ZX750BN.  The reason only those two is because I'd get them through Sony Rewards credit card points, pretty much for free.  Also, was looking for something with bluetooth and apt-x...even though I don't currently have anything that does apt-x.

I'd mainly use them either plugged in to a Squeezebox Touch or via bluetooth to my laptop.  I'm not an experienced critical listener, nor looking for phones for that purpose.  Just want something to enjoy music with when not able to use my 2.1 setup.  Music I listen to is mostly rock...from classic rock to hard rock to punk rock to alt. rock, and whatever else rock.  Also reggae, Hawaiian, 80s, etc...  Music is mostly flac, some high bitrate/vbr mp3.  Also have some high res. 24/96 and .dsf albums...not that I claim to be able to easily hear any difference.

Thanks for your opinions! 
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 10
I have both of them and I must say the MDR-10RBT is way better sound and comfort. Unless you need the noise cancelling function of the ZX750BN, I don't see why you would choose them over the MDR-10RBT.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 10
After some searching I found a thread w/ some favorable thoughts on the ZX750BN, http://www.head-fi.org/t/709642/new-sony-portable-headphone-the-mdr-zx750/45
One much more so than the 10R...Are the 10RBT's pretty much the 10R with bluetooth?

nimaina, Do you dislike the ZX750BN's sound vs the 10RBT that much?

Also from more searching, I get the impression that the 10RBT, or 10R ?series?, sounds more bass-y than the ZX750BN...

Any one else care to share their opinions/experiences?

Thanks!
cool.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 10
The 10R series are sure have more bass than some other neutral sounding headphones, but when compare to the zx750, they sound a lot clearer even with those bass.  The zx750 sound very muffled, like everything is at a lower frequency.  It probably sound ok if you don't compare both of them side by side like I did.   Some people say you can improve the sound of zx750 by changing the earpads to those of V6 or 7506, and that is exactly what I'm gonna do.  I'm pretty sure that current earpads are absorb those clear high frequency sound.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 10
  Some people say you can improve the sound of zx750 by changing the earpads to those of V6 or 7506, and that is exactly what I'm gonna do.  I'm pretty sure that current earpads are absorb those clear high frequency sound.

I'd be interested in what you think of the sound after changing the earpads.  That other thread I linked to sounds like they like it quite a bit that way.

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 10
I've just ordered those eaypads from china a few days ago.  I'll let you know as soon as I got them. Not sure it'll be too late for you to make the decision.

I see you find the zx750 quite preferable.  With all those functions: the active noise cancelling, and bluetooth connection, I'd say they are good investment.  The noise cancelling are not that great compare to expensive noise canceling headphones but I'd say they do quite alright blocking the plane, or car engine sound when I'm traveling.  In the manual they say that the zx750 have three active noise canceling modes, and when you turn it on the headphones will analyze the noise can come up with the best possible mode for you.

One thing worth mention and, I don't know this is just my unit, I sound quality drop miserably when using wired connection instead of the bluetooth which I think it's weird.  This is not the same with the 10RBT which the sound quality even get a bit better when using wired connection.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 10
Not that I prefer the ZX750BN, I just found the comments in the forum thread I linked to to be positive.
Thanks for your comment about using them wired, that does sound a bit wierd that wireless sounds better.

I also just checked the Sony Rewards site I was going to get them from, unfortunately the 10RBT is out of stock.  They are supposedly on sale until 2/5, hopefully they get more in stock.

In the mean time, if anyone else has opinions I'd love to hear them too.

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 10
Got the new earpads for the ZX750.  The sound quality change quite a lot.  Lose some bass but everything is clearer and more lively.  They are definitely more comfortable too.  I wish they could retain some of the bass.  IMHO, Still not as good as the 10RBT though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back