Choice of headphones primarily for PC gaming
Oct 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Shady45

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Most of the information I read regarding audio was from here, so thought it would be good to ask this here.

Sennheiser 558 vs. Sony MDR-MA900 vs. Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250ohm

Usage:
Gaming mostly, then films. Music is not a priority although I will likely use them a little if they are good at it.

Good surround capability with good positional sound is important, but I want some fun/immersion too.

I will be using them with a Creative Sound Blaster Z.

Edit: I am open to other suggestions, ideally sub £150

Thanks for any input

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 9
My roommate has the HD558 and having listened to them for a few hours, I think they'd suit your needs well. Great sound stage, fairly neutral, and extremely comfortable for extended wear. You'll be able to hear all the little details as well as footsteps in FPS's. I'm not a pro by any means though so hopefully an experienced Head-Fier will help you out. :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 9
You can't be any less pro than me don't worry :D thanks for your input, can give the 558 's a plus one

I considered the Pc 360 but I heard it's pretty much the 558 with a mic? And it's about £60 more expensive

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Check out the AKG K612 Pro, so far I've been hearing good things about it.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Unless you really need a mic, I'd suggest against getting a headset. This is simply because you're paying that extra dough for the mic and usually don't get sound quality in return. Granted I don't have experience with Sennheiser's PC line, I do have experience with gaming headsets in general (Razer Kraken Pros and Logitech G930).

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 9
I'm kind of conflicted on this, i have the Creative Fatal1ty gaming headset which i use for gaming, its got great 3D positioning, deep bass, good detail and works very well for FPS.

Thing is i wouldn't use them in a fit for listening to music, you think Sennheisers have a veil lol.   But on the other hand i wouldn't use my HD650's in a fit for gaming.  But i would'nt recommend you go and buy a pair either.

What does that tell you then, buy for comfort and 3D positing abilities, not musical ability IMO.

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 9
I have read to avoid headsets and go for headphones. Although user reviews on headsets seem to be good!

I was going to wait it out longer to decide but a 'Used - very good' condition Sony MDRMA900 came up on amazon warehouse for half the price of a new set... Thought with their return policy it's worth a punt for a good discount.

Although I did see a couple of comments saying that the low impedance may be an issue with the high Sound blaster Z output... That's a bit over my head though haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back