Choice between two closed-backs Sony vs Audeze.
Jul 6, 2019 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Tsukuyomi

1000+ Head-Fier
So as the title has mentioned, i'm trying to decide on my next pair of cans.
as it stands, i'll be mostly using these for movies, tv shows, gaming, youtube and on some occasion music.
(I use my DT1990 pros for more music focused listening/enjoying).

My two choices that i've broken down to are as follows:
Sony Z7M2
54a91fff33a7a3f9679d6e42dbc7d4d1

or the

Audeze LCD-2 Closed.
audeze-lcd-2-closed_103084_1.jpg

PS: i've considered the Mrspeakers Aeon flow closed and im not a fan of their sound.
I'm also aware of ZMF but right now, they're out of my budget.
PPS: I've already owned a pair of Fostex TH900mk2 in the past, and although the sound was enjoyable they werent super comfortable, i developed sore spots on my head and ear pads were too tight.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 16
I would advise against the Audeze 2C Closed back and instead of looking at the Sony Z7mk2, trying to track down a Sony Z7mk1.
In my opinion, it is cheaper to get a mk1 Z7 and it is a smoother, more relaxed listen considering the two options available and your edits to the post.

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 16
I would advise against the Audeze 2C Closed back and instead of looking at the Sony Z7mk2, trying to track down a Sony Z7mk1.
In my opinion, it is cheaper to get a mk1 Z7 and it is a smoother, more relaxed listen considering the two options available and your edits to the post.
Unfortunately i cant find any z7m1's in my city, let alone the used net in my province (im Canadian lol). Also from what ive heard the z7m2 is an improvement over the m1..

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 16
for closed back I would choose HD820
I tried the hd820 on friday actually at work, but that headphone is way over budget for me. If i was going to get something more expensive id probobly drop on the Hifiman Arya. But thats open back. For now im looking at a closed back thats affordable, preferably under 1,500$

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 16
I'd also consider the Audioquest Nightowl for your intended purposes. Save some cash possibly too.
Ive tried the night owls before, they sound very distant. Everything seems pushed back to me. Also the cans tended to feel loose and slide down my head, causing me to adjust them every now and again. I dont have a small head but id say average sized head and ears. Also, not many possibilities for earpad replacement since audioquest discontinued headphones..

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 16
The LCD closed backs are your best bets sound wise at that price point. They are dynamic with good tight bass. Just that they are a bit heavy, so be aware of that. I have not given the ZMF’s a good listen though. You should be able to get used Sony Z1r for that amount also.

Jul 8, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 16
The LCD closed backs are your best bets sound wise at that price point. They are dynamic with good tight bass. Just that they are a bit heavy, so be aware of that. I have not given the ZMF’s a good listen though. You should be able to get used Sony Z1r for that amount also.
I've checked most used gear sites for my city and no used Z1Rs :p i dont think anyone would sell them.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 16
Ive tried the night owls before, they sound very distant. Everything seems pushed back to me. Also the cans tended to feel loose and slide down my head, causing me to adjust them every now and again. I dont have a small head but id say average sized head and ears. Also, not many possibilities for earpad replacement since audioquest discontinued headphones..
Yup, not a forward sounding can. Good for movies and whatnot imo though, because they're more of a kick back and enjoy type of presentation.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 16
I had both of these phones and did not care for either. The LCD 2C was supposed to have powerful bass, but I found it nothing special and returned it. The Sony was very uneven and surprisingly, it had weak bass - far worse than the Audeze.

For a closed back, I absolutely LOVE the Fostex T60RP , and they are much cheaper than either of the 'phones you mention. Way better than any other t50 mod I have heard. They are a little hard to drive though. Also, I have the original Sony MDR Z7 and liked it much better than its supposed improvement, the Z7M2.

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 16
I had both of these phones and did not care for either. The LCD 2C was supposed to have powerful bass, but I found it nothing special and returned it. The Sony was very uneven and surprisingly, it had weak bass - far worse than the Audeze.

For a closed back, I absolutely LOVE the Fostex T60RP , and they are much cheaper than either of the 'phones you mention. Way better than any other t50 mod I have heard. They are a little hard to drive though. Also, I have the original Sony MDR Z7 and liked it much better than its supposed improvement, the Z7M2.
I used to own the Fostex TH900mk2, I know Fostex can make good products, and i've enjoyed its sound but the comfort is up to debate. I dont like fostex's build/comfort. if they can reach same level of comfort as Sony or Audeze (without the weight) i'd be all over them again.

I was curious about the TH-610 but since i had the 900mk2 idk, it feels weird to own thoes, like a step down.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 16
I tried the hd820 on friday actually at work, but that headphone is way over budget for me. If i was going to get something more expensive id probobly drop on the Hifiman Arya. But thats open back. For now im looking at a closed back thats affordable, preferably under 1,500$

Okay, D7200 or D9200 it is. Lots of people also like them.

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 16
Okay, D7200 or D9200 it is. Lots of people also like them.
Ill look into that, i dont think there are any in my city to demo as theres a small audio community here in general. So, for denon i think forums and youtube are all i can go on, and risk just buying haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back