CHIRON Upgrade | The Summit of Mount Pelion
May 26, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 28
What do you mean? I have the 4.4mm Pentaconn, is that good or bad in terms of better sound quality? I kind of regretted not taking the TermX version, but then I also wondered if the 4.4mm Pentaconn version wasn't better in terms of sound characteristics after all.
Most direct design and more purest and ductil and noble metals : the best (theorical thought) 😎😉

This being said, real world differences :

I don't know. 🫣

Maybe a clue ? 🤔

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-cables-thread.787717/page-463#post-17570018

At the first time, it was a close combat but... Time flies and, all things being equal, the FE seems to best the regular version... by a margin. Not day and night, but 🥳

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 28
I hadn't thought about that but think it's an excellent point. Let's still hope for some kind of revolution that proves this conversation to be gibberish.

drftr
That was at least my consideration or intention. I can now claim that all stock cables are insufficient for me personally, not even the stock cable of the Traillii, Mentor or Ronin I consider adequate compared to First Times or Chiron. In this respect, First TImes and Chiron would always represent an upgrade and a better option for me. Rather, I find it interesting to note how starkly different the same IEM can sound with a different cable. Honestly, with First Times and Chiron the timbre changes quite significantly! I would rather buy at least one other cable at the moment. I will look at some point which one. It should be an equal alternative to First Times and Chiron - without being heavier or thicker. Let's see if I will stick with this. I really hope so, because I really don't feel like buying and selling anymore.

Most direct design and more purest and ductil and noble metals : the best (theorical thought) 😎😉

This being said, real world differences :

I don't know. 🫣

Maybe a clue ? 🤔

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-cables-thread.787717/page-463#post-17570018

At the first time, it was a close combat but... Time flies and, all things being equal, the FE seems to best the regular version... by a margin. Not day and night, but 🥳
Yes, it would be enough for me to know that 4.4 Pentacon OFC is the better solution even in theory. It is then beside the point for me if this is not noticeable in practice. But I could at least imagine that this plug is more durable.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 28
That was at least my consideration or intention. I can now claim that all stock cables are insufficient for me personally, not even the stock cable of the Traillii, Mentor or Ronin I consider adequate compared to First Times or Chiron. In this respect, First TImes and Chiron would always represent an upgrade and a better option for me. Rather, I find it interesting to note how starkly different the same IEM can sound with a different cable. Honestly, with First Times and Chiron the timbre changes quite significantly! I would rather buy at least one other cable at the moment. I will look at some point which one. It should be an equal alternative to First Times and Chiron - without being heavier or thicker. Let's see if I will stick with this. I really hope so, because I really don't feel like buying and selling anymore.
Agreed on all accounts. Add Ode To Laura and be amazed what 3 cables that are priced in the same ball park can do for you. Or go nuts and add 1950s 4-wire too 😁

drftr

May 26, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #19 of 28
Agreed on all accounts. Add Ode To Laura and be amazed what 3 cables that are priced in the same ball park can do for you. Or go nuts and add 1950s 4-wire too 😁

drftr
Ode To Laura was actually second in my radar after Chiron. I didn't have anything after that, so in that respect it could be my third. You saying that now too reinforces my feeling and the idea that I should buy it. Of course, I would have to see how Ode To Laura pairs. I honestly don't like the idea of having 2x First Times. I could have more variety with Ode To Laura. I had already thought of the 1950s 4w, I just have the impression that it is not technically on the same level. What do you think?

May 26, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #20 of 28
Ode To Laura was actually second in my radar after Chiron. I didn't have anything after that, so in that respect it could be my third. You saying that now too reinforces my feeling and the idea that I should buy it. Of course, I would have to see how Ode To Laura pairs. I honestly don't like the idea of having 2x First Times. I could have more variety with Ode To Laura. I had already thought of the 1950s 4w, I just have the impression that it is not technically on the same level. What do you think?
I think it is, but it's my favourite cable because it adds a healthy dose of warmth and body (palpability) to the bass and mids while being polite in treble. For me most IEMs lack that warmth, body, and timbre that makes me both feel and see that singer or instrument even with my eyes closed. I think it sounds more natural in bass and lower mids where for instance OTL adds oomph and FT and Chiron add more definition and dynamics. They're all different really.

drftr

May 26, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 28
I think it is, but it's my favourite cable because it adds a healthy dose of warmth and body (palpability) to the bass and mids while being polite in treble. For me most IEMs lack that warmth, body, and timbre that makes me both feel and see that singer or instrument even with my eyes closed. I think it sounds more natural in bass and lower mids where for instance OTL adds oomph and FT and Chiron add more definition and dynamics. They're all different really.

drftr
Now you've really piqued my curiosity!

Do you mean 1950s 4w with or without Shielding? Do you know the difference between the two? Whereby the most important question for me would be how heavy and thick the Shielding version would be; but somehow I can already imagine it and that would be no option for me.

May 26, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 28
Now you've really piqued my curiosity!

Do you mean 1950s 4w with or without Shielding? Do you know the difference between the two? Whereby the most important question for me would be how heavy and thick the Shielding version would be; but somehow I can already imagine it and that would be no option for me.
I'm only familiar with the regular 4-wire. I know @yaps66 has both. You may want to reach out to him in a PM so we don't derail the Chiron thread even further :wink:

drftr

May 26, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #23 of 28

What I remember was that OTL had that cunning spherical imaging though a more intimate soundstage and a more fleshed out timbre than Chiron. Chiron and OTL are definitely different enough that they specialize in maximizing the best of very specific IEMs, and that if Chiron synergizes massively with one IEM, OTL won't and vice versa in many cases IMO

May 27, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #24 of 28
I'm only familiar with the regular 4-wire. I know @yaps66 has both. You may want to reach out to him in a PM so we don't derail the Chiron thread even further :wink:

drftr
He definitely has the Shielding version and he wrote this about it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-17551039

And yes, you are right, sorry for the OT!

What I remember was that OTL had that cunning spherical imaging though a more intimate soundstage and a more fleshed out timbre than Chiron. Chiron and OTL are definitely different enough that they specialize in maximizing the best of very specific IEMs, and that if Chiron synergizes massively with one IEM, OTL won't and vice versa in many cases IMO
That sounds really good and I'm very interested in that (besides the 1950s 4w 😉 ), thank you for posting this!

May 27, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #26 of 28
I don't understand how someone could spend 3k on a cable

May 27, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #27 of 28
It's relatively easy. Look at how many headphones you have and what they costed as a group. Many wouldn't understand why you need so many and how you can afford it.

Now imagine someone finds his/her preferred IEM he/she wants to stay with, wants to try to get the last drop of sound quality out of it, and has funds to make this come true.

Priorities.

drftr

May 27, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #28 of 28
Easy.

Quest for ultimate pairing(s), if possible. 👍

But... To find the best synergistic couple is far more difficult than to afford a luxury product at a high price tag.... true. 😇

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back