chip set in ipod photo? shuffle? 4G?
Feb 20, 2005 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Barry

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe it is my imagination, but the sound of the 4G ipod seems different than the sound of the ipod photo. The photo seems a bit brighter, more dynamic. And to my surprise, the shuffle seems to sound better than both? Is Apple using different chipsets or amps in each of those units? Anybody know what the differences are?

thanks

Barry

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 4
don't think the chipset is different between the 4g and the photo which use wolfsten, and the shuffle uses sigmatel. I agree with you on the sound quality.

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 4
You're hearing something other than the DAC. The photo and 4g are identical. I bet the headphone amp built into the more recent models is better than the full size iPods. That might be what you're hearing.

See ya
Steve

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 4
I am glad that I am not the only person hearing this. Both the sales guy and the "genius" at the Apple store were polite but disbelieving. thanks for confirming utdeep. anybody else? Maybe they are changing the amplifier. Makes sense. Anybody confirm? While I am sure that I like the shuffle better than the other two ipods, I am not yet sure whether I prefer the 4G or the Photo. What do others think?

Also, and I know that I am stretching things, but maybe somebody has a sense whether the rumored new mini, etc. will have improved sound also.

thanks

Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back