Chinese pro audio brands
Jan 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 16
  I'm looking for a cheap pro audio interface for my home studio and I was wondering if there are any Chinese pro audio brands other than Phonic that manufacture those sort of things?

Behringer is decent for the price.

Also have a look OEM stuff from china from brands like Lexicon: http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Alpha-Desktop-Recording-Studio/dp/B000HVXMNE

60$ incl shipping.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 16
I have only one product of them, a midi controller, the BFC2000. Great product!

Sorry, but instead of explaining why you think Berhinger is so bad for someone who is looking for chinese stuff, your advice is a entry level commercial brand with prices starting at 200$?

Plenty of budget from focusrite goes to advertisements for brand building maybe some R&D even... I think someone who looks for chinese brands is trying to avoid such companies...

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 16
  I have only one product of them, a midi controller, the BFC2000. Great product!

Sorry, but instead of explaining why you think Berhinger is so bad for someone who is looking for chinese stuff, your advice is a entry level commercial brand with prices starting at 200$?

Plenty of budget from focusrite goes to advertisements for brand building maybe some R&D even... I think someone who looks for chinese brands is trying to avoid such companies...

I told him he should look at a used piece of gear instead of wasting money. $200 is cheap for an interface, it's not like I said to go buy a MOTO or Apogee. I'd say more budget from Berhinger goes to advertising then Focusrite. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 16
All my life I used Behringer gear. I had their guitar amps and multi effects, mic pres and microphones, headphones and a cable tester. I still own a pair of their studio monitors, a midi controller and two interfaces and the only thing that crapped out on me was the cable tester. I had some minor problems with their gear but everything was taken care of by the warranty. I have never seen a studio, pro or home, without a single Behringer product.

I've been to the first Euro CanJam this fall and Philips used Miniamp AMP800 to drive all the headphones in their booth. I was extremely surprised that a big company such as Philips that can allow itself to bring virtually any headphone amp in the world to demonstrate its products will use a 50$ amp that is being bashed all around the web for its sound quality. I think that makes this amp at least a mid-fi.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 16
  All my life I used Behringer gear. I had their guitar amps and multi effects, mic pres and microphones, headphones and a cable tester. I still own a pair of their studio monitors, a midi controller and two interfaces and the only thing that crapped out on me was the cable tester. I had some minor problems with their gear but everything was taken care of by the warranty. I have never seen a studio, pro or home, without a single Behringer product.

I've been to the first Euro CanJam this fall and Philips used Miniamp AMP800 to drive all the headphones in their booth. I was extremely surprised that a big company such as Philips that can allow itself to bring virtually any headphone amp in the world to demonstrate its products will use a 50$ amp that is being bashed all around the web for its sound quality. I think that makes this amp at least a mid-fi.

Goes to show to the inventors of the CD are rather pragmatic about it all. Most likely needed multiple outputs, looked at the specs, decided there would not be any audible difference with the cans on show and went with it. But hey, what does philips know about hifi ey? :D Granted if a product manager decides to use a product, it does not mean a company wide endorsement of any sort.

(Edit: euro canjam? where from if I may ask?)

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 16
If you need multiple outs you can use an Art headphone amp which is considered way better and is not too expensive either. Art was used by several of the Canjam presenters such as Rheines and German Maestro. Everybody are acting as if using Behringer is beneath them, but the bottom line is that their products have the best price/quality ratio out there. I don't have the funds to invest in an interface made by RME which is considered top of the line which will probably be only 20% improvement over my current Behringer interface.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 16
You think the Art amp would have made an audible difference with the line of phones they were demoing? I mean with double blind tests. If so this would be a very strange move indeed. 
 In any case,
look at namm vids. Every other stand has Rokits - hyped entry level prosumer goods. But, most likely the best selling entry level studio monitor, a product line many consumers can relate to. I wonder if those choices are made simple because of the targeted audience.

People might think you need special gear when using expensive amps, or less known manufacturers. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 16

I've seen them in home studios, but never in a bigger studio, especially a commercial one. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 16
  I've seen them in home studios, but never in a bigger studio, especially a commercial one. 

I have never seen them in a commercial studio either, so what? The bigger the studio the bigger the budget. Clients pay premium and then expect premium product. Do they have the entry focusrite generic usb soundcard? Nope.

Edit: bad sentence sorry :D My point is, it sounded kinda snobbish saying someone should buy 2nd hand instead of budget gear. You get what you pay for, which is pretty damn good these days. Pre amps and DAC's are so well and mass produced there's no reason not to buy budget in many cases. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 16
  I have never seen them in a commercial studio either, so what? The bigger the studio the bigger the budget. Clients pay premium and then expect premium product. Do they have the entry focusrite generic usb soundcard? Nope.

Edit: bad sentence sorry :D My point is, it sounded kinda snobbish saying someone should buy 2nd hand instead of budget gear. You get what you pay for, which is pretty damn good these days. Pre amps and DAC's are so well and mass produced there's no reason not to buy budget in many cases. 

I wasn't trying to sound snobbish at all. I buy used stuff all the time. A lot of the time you can get great deals that way. I feel if you can buy a better product used at the same price of a new lesser product then why not. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back