Chinese player: TA5-16R (and its ilk)
Dec 23, 2008 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Fallingwater

100+ Head-Fier
I know you guys are more about quality than about price, but maybe there's still someone who knows this.

I've had a look at various eBay auctions about these players, and I particularly like the TA5-16R (I'd buy it here though, since that seller seems better; the product seems the same). I want a player that can read Ogg Vorbis, but the format isn't listed in that auction, or in any of the others I can find for this product.
The FA5-16R has ogg support, but it is not touchscreen.

Now, the fact that the supported formats change depending on which auction you're reading, and my experience with generic players, lead me to believe that all the ***-16R players are based around the same chipset with firmware that differs mainly in aesthetics and various other tidbits; based on this, all 16R players, including the TA5, should have ogg support.
This is, of course, merely my idea, which means I could be completely wrong. And since I'd hate to spend the money and end up with a player that doesn't satisfy my requirements, I'm turning to you guys. What do you say? Does the TA5-16R read ogg files?

Also, what's the maximum TransFlash size I can use? The picture on the auction I'd get it from has a big "SDHC" logo on it, so I assume they can read up to at least 8GB, right?

And while we're at it, what kind of battery life can I expect with audio playing alone?

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 3
i know i am not answering your question but if you can, please consider spending your monies on a player that has at least a bit of support around the net. if you want cheap but relatively good, try meizu. they have a large support base around internet as well as a decent hacking underground that are helpful to people with questions.

a random ebay item is scary and you really don't know the quality of the device. even meizu which look similar to ipod for instance are made of much lower quality materials. just be careful.

cowon products also playback ogg. probably most companies who have no tie to the music industry have ogg support as it is free and requires no extra commitment of money. good luck and i hope you find what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back