Chinese Junks - The unfinished firmware problem.
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Astrogoth

100+ Head-Fier
Recently my latest music player had problems with its bluetooth connection to its speaker. When asked about it the maker said they had no idea about that problem and had therefore no plans to fix it. This is not the first time I have heard that answer from various Chinese electronics companies. There's no point in my listing them. Far as I can tell they all do it to some degree.

It seems once a product is released in China the need to be responsible for it declines rapidly. People are still buying the products, but nobody is fixing the firmware faults that have sprung up and been well documented on internet forums. They have moved on to developing and marketing the next product. When asked you get "We're working on it" or "We have never heard of that problem. Can you send us your log file?". Of course you never hear back from them. And so on. I for one am sick of it. Products that never work like the spec sheet says they will. Shipping times that change from a couple weeks to several months with no reason given. Lies lies lies. My all time favorite quote "You seem to be the only one with that problem." Informal and unconcerned. I doubt some of these rep's can even spell reputation.

I suspect the problem is cultural. If it is, how do we get them to see the error of their ways and stop it when they think they have been doing business the same way "for thousands of years!"

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 6
First, I would suggest you do more research before buying as that helps alleviate buyers remorse or at the very least gives you a understanding as to what your walking into. Additionally doing research before a buy gives you a idea of things like customer service and continued support. You say all I say bulk. Sure there are more than a few that drop the ball, however, going further and saying it's a cultural thing is shallow at best and disrespectful at worst. Would you say the same about AAA games released by sony or other big gaming companies? Perhaps it should be understood its a business thjng eh? Either way as a example I'm currently using a Hifiman 901s. Its Chinese made and as far as I've owned it (going on 3-4 months) it has been solid os and UI wise. Sure it lacks features like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but I was aware of this as I did research and was comfortable with physical media.

Either best of luck to your future purchases!

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 6
Recently my latest music player had problems with its bluetooth connection to its speaker. When asked about it the maker said they had no idea about that problem and had therefore no plans to fix it. This is not the first time I have heard that answer from various Chinese electronics companies. There's no point in my listing them. Far as I can tell they all do it to some degree.

It seems once a product is released in China the need to be responsible for it declines rapidly. People are still buying the products, but nobody is fixing the firmware faults that have sprung up and been well documented on internet forums. They have moved on to developing and marketing the next product. When asked you get "We're working on it" or "We have never heard of that problem. Can you send us your log file?". Of course you never hear back from them. And so on. I for one am sick of it. Products that never work like the spec sheet says they will. Shipping times that change from a couple weeks to several months with no reason given. Lies lies lies. My all time favorite quote "You seem to be the only one with that problem." Informal and unconcerned. I doubt some of these rep's can even spell reputation.

I suspect the problem is cultural. If it is, how do we get them to see the error of their ways and stop it when they think they have been doing business the same way "for thousands of years!"
First of all, if you can find me a DAP that's a thousand years old, I'll give you my car. :) I think you're a little harsh and general on the Chinese. That being said, you are 1000 percent right about the complete bait and switch on DAP functions for DAPs in the last few years. I for one, will no longer ever buy a DAP that does not perform as stated out of the box. Waiting for firmware updates that never fix a problem or provide what was promised is unforgivable. Let's just go ahead and make a list of those DAPs.
Here's my two: Aune M1s Colorfly C10

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you for making my point for me.

"A business thing"

Certainly. Some companies choose to do good business, usually resulting in adoration and good word of mouth. Likewise companies who do poorly are also found out fairly easy if one simply knows what they are buying into.

It seems common sense is not so common..

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 6
While I won't say it's "cultural" I do believe the unregulated nature of Chinese business gives these companies the leeway to exaggerate, misrepresent, or in some cases outright lie about the specs of their players. I saw one advertisement claiming that the player had a 4K resolution screen. No way that's true, for obvious reasons. Another one where the "now playing" screen looked slick and amazing, but actual user photos show it looking like a mid-fi product from a decade ago, maybe on par with some of the better Rockbox efforts I've seen. Meh. It won't necessarily discourage me from buying a particular player (Ruizu A50 is what I'm looking at right now) but I do want to know exactly what I'm getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back