Chinese Headphone Amp
Sep 14, 2001 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

oldnametooshort

New Head-Fier
photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

1930582-e0e3-02000180-.jpg

I have this amp and from my experience, it sounds so much better than the Grado RA1 and the MGhead. Much better soundstaging, clean, sparkling highs, tight and well extended bass. The midrange sounds a little laid back when paired with the CD3000s. And the best of all, it only costs about 230 USD. Because it's manufatured in China, so its retail price and the cost of the parts are pretty much the same since the price of labor is so low.

Sep 14, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 37
That's a nice-looking amp! So does it have a name? And what tubes is it using?

Sep 14, 2001 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 37
Wow, nice amp! Nice rig! One suggestion, you gotta get rid of that red and white table cloth and get some of those shock absorbing feet. I believe you when you say that it sounds better than the RA1, did you see what's inside that thing? How about more information on that amp and where to get it? Thanks for sharing.

Sep 15, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 37
I'm sorry but this amp is not available in NA, I purchased it in China. The pictures belong to a guy named solomon, he comes here too and you can find his name in the list of members. I'm sure he can give u more info about how to purchase them. The name of the amp is G&W T2A, it is produced by TsingHua University, which is one of the most famous universities in China. It's got a pair of RCA inputs/outputs and detachable cord. Tubes are EL84(6P14J) and ECC82.

Sep 17, 2001 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 37
Hi! Oldnametooshort, I know what you old name is.
Do you still enjoy your T2A? It IS a fantastic headphone amp, the only shortcoming I see being the bulkiness - it is simply the most bulky headphone amp I ever saw.
Another thing is that it is not designed to drive low impedance headphones. I tried it with Grados and Audio-Technicas, it didn't fare well, as I anticipated. The specs sheet says it is at its best when being paired with 200-600 ohms headphones.
Oh, one last thing, T2A doesn't sound like a tune amp. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. I personlly like its sound - quiet, quick, transparent and brilliant - outperforming some solid state headphone amps. At 230 dollars, it is an incredibly good buy!
Shame it is only available in China.

Sep 17, 2001 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 37
uhh .. yeah .. the build/layout looks slightly better than the MG Head. Maybe like Japanese autos ... only the best electronics from China can only be found... in China.

Sep 17, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 37
Actually most capacitors in the signal path are not made in China. The output caps are ROEs made in Germany (385V and 50uF) and I saw quite a few WIMAs. The power supply section uses ELNA For Audio caps. The tubes however are made in China, grade J (grade for military use).
The volume control is an ALPS product.
All of the resistors are Chinese made.

Sep 17, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 37
solomon: That's an impressive list of part manufacturers - too bad, this unit can't be bought outside of China... I guess we need to contact these guys in oder to establish some distribution.

Greetings from SF!

Manfred / lini

Sep 17, 2001 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 37
wow, the parts inside that amp do look like they're high quality. Way better than the RA-1, which has cheaper parts than the standard Cmoy!

Sep 17, 2001 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 37
Labor and intellectual property are so low in China. That's why T2A is so cheap. Anyway, it is not cheap at all by Chinese standards. Bear in mind an average blue collar worker in China makes 100-200 bucks a month. And white collars make more, averaging 300-400 bucks a month. This "super cheap" headphone amp will eat up 1-2 months' salary. Knowing this, nobody will think this amp is cheap in China!

Sep 17, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 37
Solomon.
Can you give us a bit more info on the availability of this amp for purchase from overseas. It looks like a great price and well built. Is it possible to purchase it directly from the manufacturer? Do they have a website?

Sep 18, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 37
Are those XLO's? I love that purple and green color scheme. Everyone knows that red and black aren't the same in terms of insulating properties, purple and green are much closer... (No DCBT arguments, plz) ...

How do you like 'em? 've been dying to hear first hand experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back