Chinese Food! :) 中國菜 I'm an American with questions.
Apr 20, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #121 of 160
I honestly think you+some other headfiers+trip/tour of china=hadoken wave .

Think of it this way if you were to culminate a group of people that is willing to go with you to China you:
A. Have a large group for security
B. Have a diverse crowd, so people won't discriminate when making food.
C. Bond with others
D. Spoon
E. See the food as how it was suppose/originally concept
F. Buy tons of head gear from china/~_~

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #122 of 160
Hello! T hank you for the replies!
smily_headphones1.gif

The noodles that I make are not pre-packaged. I try not to buy prepackaged stuff; instead I try to make it myself.
smily_headphones1.gif
So my noodles are dry sticks, and I have many different kinds. Some are big, thick and flat, like Thai style noodles, and others are very thin, like Singapore style, and then I have some that are medium, like Vietnam pho noodles. I also have some pancit from Pilipinas, and some little "birds nests" of egg-based noodles that I do not know where they are from. Some of my noodles are made from rice, some from bean, some from tapioca. I have all different kinds!
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe one kind is better to learn to stir-fry with first than the others, being easier to use?

I'll try again soon using more peanut oil.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was also thinking that maybe I could make some of my own soup dumplings since I cannot find them at restaurants where I live.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I cannot find recipes to make the dumpling dough from scratch, and in any case since you say that it is very rare to find them made properly, I would not know whether any recipe that I might find would be very close to what you say is best.

Ok, thank you, bye!

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #123 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello! T hank you for the replies!
smily_headphones1.gif

The noodles that I make are not pre-packaged. I try not to buy prepackaged stuff; instead I try to make it myself.
smily_headphones1.gif
So my noodles are dry sticks, and I have many different kinds. Some are big, thick and flat, like Thai style noodles, and others are very thin, like Singapore style, and then I have some that are medium, like Vietnam pho noodles. I also have some pancit from Pilipinas, and some little "birds nests" of egg-based noodles that I do not know where they are from. Some of my noodles are made from rice, some from bean, some from tapioca. I have all different kinds!
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe one kind is better to learn to stir-fry with first than the others, being easier to use?

I'll try again soon using more peanut oil.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was also thinking that maybe I could make some of my own soup dumplings since I cannot find them at restaurants where I live.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I cannot find recipes to make the dumpling dough from scratch, and in any case since you say that it is very rare to find them made properly, I would not know whether any recipe that I might find would be very close to what you say is best.

Ok, thank you, bye!

1. what kind of stove do you have? is it professional grade like Viking, Kenmore Professional or Wolf?

2. use thicker noodles

3. good amount of veg oil

4. get a big wok

5. make sure all your ingredients are prepared (as in already half cooked)

6. heat the wok with the veg oil in it until the oil starts to smoke (you can see a little turbulence on the oil surface if you look carefully
wink.gif

6. make sure your noddle is NOT already cooked all the way through, preferably 86%
biggrin.gif

7. dump the noodle in and start flipping them like crazy (do not be afraid of shooting oil molecules, they only hurt a little bit) - oh and little weight training with your wrist would be most helpful!

8. when the noddles start to look like its mostly covered in oil and is getting drier, start dumping all your other ingredients along with whatever sauces you had prepared beforehand.

9. continue to flip the noodles like crazy so that all the noodles get a coat of sauce

10. when the noodles are soft enough, you are done

<heh....looks simple, but its not......>

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #124 of 160
Thanks for the tips!
smily_headphones1.gif
I do not use my stove to wok. Instead I put my wok on top of a big gas burner that is connected directly to a propane tank. The flames are very big and almost blue hot, but usually I have it turned down lower than that, so that the oil does not get too hot and the food does not burn.

I had another conversation with the staff of the Chinese restaurant near me, and it turns out that I was wrong again; though the owners are from Anhui, actually the chef is best in Cantonese style as that is his background (though whether he comes from Guangdong or Hong Kong I do not know.) So now I have to find a whole other set of dishes again.
smily_headphones1.gif
He could not make the folded hands dumplings, or the spicy meat that another user suggested and showed a picture of (they were set upon a large leaf vegetable of some kind), nor could he made Anhui style ginger chicken. But instead he did make something called "sweet and sour fish", which had thin slivers of fish, fried in a crispy batter, with many vegetables, and I liked this very much.

I will stir-fry again today, and try your tips for stir frying noodles.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks again, bye!

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #125 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. good amount of veg oil

I'll have a go tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Any reason why it you use veg oil? I use normal olive oil for most of my cooking.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #126 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have a go tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Any reason why it you use veg oil? I use normal olive oil for most of my cooking.

much higher boiling temp
wink.gif
....yes that's the boiling temp for oil
biggrin.gif
(not all dishes requires boiling oil, some dishes are only suited for 25%, 50% or 75% of boiling temp...so having a higher boiling temp gives you more temp ranges to work with.. for example stir fry egg with shrimp requires 50% boiling temp for the oil bath that shrimps swim through for about 15 sec before actually doing the stir frying)

cooking Chinese good is a fairly hazardous task ..be careful....seriously
wink.gif

a note on the stir fried noddle, make sure you drip most water before dumping into the boiling oil... same goes with all the half-cooked ingredients....the total cooking time is probably around 1-2 min......you gotta be quick

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #127 of 160
Quote:

much higher boiling temp
wink.gif
....yes that's the boiling temp for oil
biggrin.gif
(not all dishes requires boiling oil, some dishes are only suited for 25%, 50% or 75% of boiling temp...so having a higher boiling temp gives you more temp ranges to work with.. for example stir fry egg with shrimp requires 50% boiling temp for the oil bath that shrimps swim through for about 15 sec before actually doing the stir frying)

Ah I seee!

Quote:

cooking Chinese good is a fairly hazardous task ..be careful....seriously
wink.gif

a note on the stir fried noddle, make sure you drip most water before dumping into the boiling oil... same goes with all the half-cooked ingredients....the total cooking time is probably around 1-2 min......you gotta be quick

A rookie mistake
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #128 of 160
Quote:

A rookie mistake
tongue.gif

With possible painful consequences.
eek.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #129 of 160
one thing about cooking Chinese food yourself (I mean serious cooking), the oil molecules in the air will end up sticking to most stuff in the kitchen and prolonged breathing of this air on a daily basis can be harmful....so don't get too carried away with restaurant style cooking....remember there are other Chinese cooking techniques like steaming, stewing, compression, freezing, pickling, boiling and etc.

I think Chinese dishes are the most complex and has the most depth of any cuisine.....there is a restaurant in Beijing with over 800 dishes on their menu from the imperial recipe and that's only the beginning
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #130 of 160
Quote:

Ah I seee!

A rookie mistake
tongue.gif

also make sure your wok is absolutely dry before putting any oil in it....

May 1, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #132 of 160
Quote:

I think Chinese dishes are the most complex and has the most depth of any cuisine.....there is a restaurant in Beijing with over 800 dishes on their menu from the imperial recipe and that's only the beginning
wink.gif

I agree with you!
smily_headphones1.gif
The Asian cuisines of all the various nations and regions are my favorite, and Middle-Eastern is very good too - but the "middle kingdom" has such variety and complexity that it seems like it is the center of the culinary world.
smily_headphones1.gif
I must admit that I am no longer particularly excited by the European cuisines, though some South American dishes (like Peruvian) are still very interesting to me.

I still haven't been able to try many totally new things since the last time I wrote. I mistransliterated the hometown of the chef, and now I finally know for certain: he is from Fujian province. The restaurant will make some bao zi, like pot stickers or something that they call "dim sum" that has bok choy and shrimp and chicken inside of it, but they do not make soup-filled bao. Because they have no particularly exotic ingredients available, I cannot ask for things like suckling pig or sea cucumber. And finally, because the local customers do not like fish cooked in the Chinese style, the restaurant does not offer any fish besides what they use in their auxiliary sushi bar. They also have no mutton. So I still feel that I have little that I can realistically ask for, unfortunately.

I guess it's just because of where I live.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, thanks again for your help! I cooked the noodles fairly well last time, thanks to your advice. They were just a little oily, but I think I can do better next time.

Is this the correct order to give to the chef to ask him to make me a dinner typical of his hometown?

[size=large]廚師家鄉菜[/size]

Or is it better this way?

[size=large]家鄉的廚師菜[/size]

I want to make sure it is written coherently.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am learning the written language very slowly.

Thank you!

May 1, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #133 of 160
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? Uh I think you can try making like black bean style dishes at home. =(.

No suckling pig, no sea cucumber. Its ok some places just don't go for the finess of other cultures. If you ever travel to areas with a large Chinatown try to search for the tours they have that walk you around give you some history, culture, and they take you from place and place to eat.

Uh have you ever tried Ong Choy with some bean curd and garlic and shallots? i think it's a delicious basic dish

May 1, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #134 of 160
Hello Funniecow!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for your reply!

I edited my last question to ask about how to write an order in Chinese. If you know the characters, do not forget to look and tell me if I wrote it correctly please.
smily_headphones1.gif

I make lots of black bean style dishes at home already.
smily_headphones1.gif
I make sauce with black beans that is spicy and salty (from the beans.) But everyone likes my sweet and hot sauce better. :\

No, I have not tried ong choy.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll look that up! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back