Chillout/Downbeat and Trip-Hop:
Apr 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #16 of 30

Quote:
Burial is straight dubstep. A brilliant album, but dubstep nonetheless.

Burial isn't straight dubstep. Granted he is a phenomenal dubstep producer, but half of his Untrue album is Chill Out. I highly recommend that album as I listen to it frequently. It's so raw and haunting that it's refreshing.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 30
Ok, I'm back and I'll throw down my Trip Hop stuff now.

Trip-Hop:
Aim
The Avalanches
Mr. Scruff
Nujabes
Prefuse 73
Portishead

That might be it...I certainly have a ton more Downtempo/Chillout than Trip-hop.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 30

Quote:
Ok, I'm back and I'll throw down my Trip Hop stuff now.

Trip-Hop:
Aim
The Avalanches
Mr. Scruff
Nujabes
Prefuse 73
Portishead

That might be it...I certainly have a ton more Downtempo/Chillout than Trip-hop.

Some good stuff here but other than Portishead, not really trip-hop.
Although to be honest, im not sure exactly what constitutes "trip-hop" anymore...

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #21 of 30
Forgot to put down Nightmares on Wax-"Carboot Soul".
Amazing album.

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 30

Quote:

Some good stuff here but other than Portishead, not really trip-hop.
Although to be honest, im not sure exactly what constitutes "trip-hop" anymore...

i feel the same way and agree with your observation.

nujabes is jazzy hip-hop aka jazz-hop.... if we are thinking about the same aim then i think he is "turntablism". IDK i notice that people dislike calling some experimental hip-hop.. hip-hop. like its not good enough to be hip-hop lets call it electronic or IDM or some other genre thats not hip-hop.

Ill recommend Tokimonsta. She started making hip-hop beats and considers herself a hip-hop beat maker despite people labeling her electronic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7AhA_5wpI

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 30
Brooke, Forget donating, I just bought a few albums. Absolutely great!

As far as other triphop/chillout artists, I honestly don't know either what constitutes the genre, but I agree with Grimes and obviously Massive Attack, Burial, Flying Lotus, etc. A slightly more eerie and ambient favorite of mine is Sleep Party People. (And yes, the bunny masks are terrifying, but the musicality and production of the group stands on its own.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLCPYLHR9o

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Brooke, Forget donating, I just bought a few albums. Absolutely great!

As far as other triphop/chillout artists, I honestly don't know either what constitutes the genre, but I agree with Grimes and obviously Massive Attack, Burial, Flying Lotus, etc. A slightly more eerie and ambient favorite of mine is Sleep Party People. (And yes, the bunny masks are terrifying, but the musicality and production of the group stands on its own.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLCPYLHR9o

Yeah, I don't let the genres get in the way. If it's more electronic or ambient or more this than that it doesn't really matter. I lump basically anything from Shlohmo to BADBADNOTGOOD into just beat-music.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
I dont own BT's Binary Universe but "all time favorite album" is a strong statement, so I will definitely be looking into it.

Same here, listened to the first two tracks off Youtube and was quite impressed.  Sounded awesome through the USB amp/dac and HFI-580, can only imagine what it'd sound like through my main audio chain with an actual soundstage.  But damn, this CD is hard to track down.  Averaging $40 for used, $100+ for a new copy.

Also, am I hearing babies on track 2 or is that just me?  O.o

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #27 of 30
I go back and forth between babies and sea gulls.

Glad you guys are enjoying it. You're right that the CDs are getting harder and harder to find. I'm hoping we get a re-issue soon (or possibly a vinyl pressing as it was his first CD that didn't have a vinyl release as well).

The 'follow up' to TBU is hitting this year though. You can check out some examples of what to expect on his Soundcloud right now, actually.

Quote:

Quote:
I dont own BT's Binary Universe but "all time favorite album" is a strong statement, so I will definitely be looking into it.

Same here, listened to the first two tracks off Youtube and was quite impressed.  Sounded awesome through the USB amp/dac and HFI-580, can only imagine what it'd sound like through my main audio chain with an actual soundstage.  But damn, this CD is hard to track down.  Averaging $40 for used, $100+ for a new copy.

Also, am I hearing babies on track 2 or is that just me?  O.o

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #29 of 30
Oh man, my kind of thread!

Here are some of the artists I'm into......

James Murray

Mystical Sun

Krusseldorf

Kuba

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:
Oh man, my kind of thread!

Here are some of the artists I'm into......

James Murray

Mystical Sun

Krusseldorf

Kuba

Loving the thread revival!

Mystical Sun and Kuba (neither of which have I heard of before) sound amazing.
Mystical Sun reminds me of Phutureprimative and Kuba is little more ambient-ish.

The video for Kuba was great too! Do you know who did those visuals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back